Killing Education: SATs to Add ‘Adversity Score’ to Address ‘Wealth Disparity’ in Results

"I was born a poor black child..."

"Raised in a crack house"

"So, you had a house!"

"Luxury!"

Artificially inflating the SAT scores of students just means they will go to colleges they are not qualified for and cannot succeed in.

Killing Education: SATs to Add ‘Adversity Score’ to Address 'Wealth Disparity' in Results

This should be separate from the test.
There's nothing wrong with assessing students relatively
"based on the academic levels their SCHOOLS offered"

If Schools don't offer AP or college credit courses,
that's going to make a difference in academic records.

All that can be taken into account SEPARATELY
without affecting the actual content and scores of SAT assessments.

"So, you had a house!"

"Luxury!"

Artificially inflating the SAT scores of students just means they will go to colleges they are not qualified for and cannot succeed in.

Killing Education: SATs to Add ‘Adversity Score’ to Address 'Wealth Disparity' in Results

This should be separate from the test.
There's nothing wrong with assessing students relatively
"based on the academic levels their SCHOOLS offered"

If Schools don't offer AP or college credit courses,
that's going to make a difference in academic records.

All that can be taken into account SEPARATELY
without affecting the actual content and scores of SAT assessments.
And how do you measure it?

The SAT, the college entrance test taken by about two million students a year, is adding an “adversity score” to the test results that is intended to help admissions officers account for factors like educational or socioeconomic disadvantage that may depress students’ scores, the College Board, the company that administers the test, said Thursday

SAT to Add ‘Adversity Score’ That Rates Students’ Hardships

They still have to take placement assessments before taking certain classes.

"So, you had a house!"

"Luxury!"

I'm white, my family earned 30k a year, I lived in a gang infested neighborhood that is my adversity. Now If I get good grades my challenges matter as much as some black guys challenges.

I don't get it. Why should children be penalized just because their parents moved to a nice area or they attended a great secondary school? Those are the folks most likely to actually succeed in college. Should Obama have been rejected from Columbia because he attended the snootiest prep school in the Pacific Rim? Should Dubya been rejected from Yale because he was a legacy?

Doesn't make that much sense to me. I think parents should be encouraged to help their kids thrive in high school- not forcing them into adversity so they can succeed.

I don't get it. Why should children be penalized just because their parents moved to a nice area or they attended a great secondary school? Those are the folks most likely to actually succeed in college. Should Obama have been rejected from Columbia because he attended the snootiest prep school in the Pacific Rim? Should Dubya been rejected from Yale because he was a legacy?

Doesn't make that much sense to me. I think parents should be encouraged to help their kids thrive in high school- not forcing them into adversity so they can succeed.
Rich folks renting homes in bad neighborhoods to get good adversity scores.

"So, you had a house!"

"Luxury!"

Ah...another thread on the same subject. This one is making it all about race too.
I was born the child of two celebrities. My parents were smart enough to buy a house in a black neighborhood and use that as our official mailing address so I could go to a good school.

Rich folks renting homes in bad neighborhoods to get good adversity scores.

A lot of rich folks will be buying homes in the Ghetto, to assure that the area stays in the dumps and remains viable to get a good adversity score. As a home owner , they will be able to lobby for less police presence, and in favor of gangs, BLM and other ideas to help promote violence and crime

When I graduated from HS, my parents had been married for 30 years. Their financial net worth was less than zero. We had just moved out of subsidized housing and into my grandmother's house because she couldn't afford to keep up her dilapidated old house on her $66/month social security. Long widowed, she had no savings, no retirement, only the house and the junk that was in it.

My father refused to fill out the financial aid paperwork because he was embarrassed to admit how little he earned (with five kids and a non-working wife). My older brothers had to give my mother half their take-home pay (they all worked full-time - too dumb for college), and she needed it to keep the wheels turning.

Ultimately, I had to join the Army in order to finance college.

What the fuck happened to my White Privilege? Where would I fit in with the new ETS evaluation system?

When I graduated from HS, my parents had been married for 30 years. Their financial net worth was less than zero. We had just moved out of subsidized housing and into my grandmother's house because she couldn't afford to keep up her dilapidated old house on her $66/month social security. Long widowed, she had no savings, no retirement, only the house and the junk that was in it.

My father refused to fill out the financial aid paperwork because he was embarrassed to admit how little he earned (with five kids and a non-working wife). My older brothers had to give my mother half their take-home pay (they all worked full-time - too dumb for college), and she needed it to keep the wheels turning.

Ultimately, I had to join the Army in order to finance college.

What the fuck happened to my White Privilege? Where would I fit in with the new ETS evaluation system?

As a Honky you don't qualify for shit.

Forum List

Back