Killer TB

Killer TB

Welcome to StarNet ® | Associated Press

'Juarez spent a year and a half living alone in a room plastered with bikini-clad blondes, baseball caps and a poster of Mt. Everest for inspiration. There were days when he simply shut down and refused his meds until his family convinced him to keep fighting.

"I was thinking that maybe if I need to die, then that's what I need to do," he said, perched on his bed in baggy jeans. "I felt like: 'I'm never going to get better. I'm never going to get out of here.'"

When put side by side, his CAT scans from before and after treatment are hard to believe. The dark hole is gone, and only a small white scar tattoos his lung.

"They told me the TB is gone, but I know that TB, it doesn't have a cure. It only has a treatment like HIV," he said, his English now fluent and his body weight up 32 pounds from when he first arrived. "The TB can come back. I saw people who came back to the hospital twice and some of them died. So, it's very scary."

His treatment cost Florida taxpayers an estimated $500,000, a price tag medical director Ashkin says seems like an astronomical amount to spend on someone who's not an American citizen. But he questions how the world can afford not to treat Juarez and others sick with similar lethal strains.

"This is an airborne spread disease ... so when we treat that individual, we're actually treating and protecting all of us," he said. "This is true homeland security."

In July, at age 21 - 19 months after checking in - Juarez swallowed his last pills, packed a few small suitcases and wheeled them down the hospital's long corridor.

The last time doctors saw him, he was walking out of the sanitarium into south Florida's soupy heat.'

Ok I can see the hopsital treting him (even though I don't like it) but at what point is he supposed to "give back" to his benefactors - the taxpayers. Can ICE go after him now?

Unbelievable. We will now be permitting foreign AIDS victims to travel here and posible get free treatment. In case anyone missed that newsflash. That treatment is even more than TB.

Ok I can see the hopsital treting him (even though I don't like it) but at what point is he supposed to "give back" to his benefactors - the taxpayers. Can ICE go after him now?

Unbelievable. We will now be permitting foreign AIDS victims to travel here and posible get free treatment. In case anyone missed that newsflash. That treatment is even more than TB.

It would be cheaper to charter a jet and fly his sick infested ass back to Peru.

It would be cheaper to charter a jet and fly his sick infested ass back to Peru.

Or even cheaper to charter a jet flying in the direction of Peru......

He came down with it after he got here. $500k is a small price to pay for letting his resistant strain loose on the general public.

According to the CDC, the overuse of penicillin for diseases that aren't treatable by penicillin is what is leading to these drug resistant strains.

But nice slam on brown people, you idiot in the OP. :clap2:

The abuse of antibiotics is very common in Mexico as a prescription from a doctor is not necessary to buy them. Of course, many people from here traveled over there and brought them with. A 'slam' on brown people??? I'm sure the strain of TB wanted to jump on a brown person. Wow! I'm so glad I'm not 'brown' - LOL, LOL.

The abuse of antibiotics is very common in Mexico as a prescription from a doctor is not necessary to buy them. Of course, many people from here traveled over there and brought them with. A 'slam' on brown people??? I'm sure the strain of TB wanted to jump on a brown person. Wow! I'm so glad I'm not 'brown' - LOL, LOL.
Don't kid yourself...the abuse is just as rampant here.

And yes, by putting this in the immigration forum you are slamming brown people. But pretend you weren't, twit.

Do you know what 'color' I am???? For all YOU know, I might be 'brown', idiot.

Forum List

Back