Kill the innocent, but not the guilty?

Ahhhhh, so we spun another Anti Abortion thread from a totally unrelated thread, how nice!
Have any of you folks ever seen a dog chase its tail around in a circle? That what you all look like.

Some of you scare me just as much as the extreame left does.
AND I MEAN THAT.

Hagbard Celine said:
Well, the question is what right do you have to make assumptions about another person's kid? Some might want you to have an opinion on their kid, but many, many people would not. I knew somebody was going to pose the hypothetical "why don't I just kill my daughter because she inconveniences me?" But I can retort with an argument that pro-lifers usually use.

In car accidents where a pregnant woman's fetus is killed, the offending driver is charged with infanticide. Well, you might be asking yourself "Self, why is it considered "infanticide" in car accidents, but not in abortions?" The difference is that aborted fetuses are unwanted by the parents, i.e. the people who created the fetus do not want it. But a woman carrying a baby would usually only be carrying because she wanted the baby. If a third party, outside of the fetus' creators kills the fetus, it's infanticide because that third party had no right to determine the fetus' future. Do you see the distinction?

Now when you look at the issue like this, you can see that society over-all views fetus' rights individually depending on how its parents do. Society agrees for the most part that when you are born, you become a genuine member of the human race and you become a citizen of whichever country you were born into. So your "kill my daughter" argument doesn't fly because killing her would just be plain murder because she has already been born. A fetus' right to life is dependent on what its parents feel and cannot be dictated by any third party because only the creators have the right to make a decision regarding its future.

your argument and comparatives have nothing to do with the issue...the issue is..... is aborting a fetus morally wrong and should it be leagally available

the pro choice folks simply want the ability to correct a series of mistakes with no consequence....the pro life folks simply want people to bring the child into the world

manu1959 said:
i understand.....my dad's family are long time reno and carson valley folks....great grand parents lived in an olde stone shack out by carson city.....i am considered a left wing radical by thier standards

the old stone adobe in Carson Valley eh...a mansion by old and maybe new standards...if so ya come from good stock...what happened...Berkley maybe?

Mr. P said:
Ahhhhh, so we spun another Anti Abortion thread from a totally unrelated thread, how nice!
Have any of you folks ever seen a dog chase its tail around in a circle? That what you all look like.

AND I MEAN THAT.

original question:

Simple question, based on debates in a couple of other threads:

Why are so many libs all for killing unborn babies and the terminally ill, but they can't handle killing armed terrorists and murderers on death row? Put another way, why is killing the innocent right, and killing the guilty, wrong?
Apart from the same old arguments about "choice", etc., it seems that if you are such a pacifist that you abhor war and the death penalty, you would be even more aghast at killing the innocent.

she used the term unborn babies.....

your argument and comparatives have nothing to do with the issue...the issue is..... is aborting a fetus morally wrong and should it be leagally available

the pro choice folks simply want the ability to correct a series of mistakes with no consequence....the pro life folks simply want people to bring the child into the world

My argument has everything to do with the issue. What I'm trying to prove is that the pro-choicers are right because the pro-lifers don't have any say regarding two people's personal choice to have or abort their baby. It's the right of free people to have the abortion option if they so choose.

Mr. P said:

AND I MEAN THAT.

the 'shear' pin on your tail rotor is going to blow...lighten up chopper dude!

Why are so many libs all for killing unborn babies and the terminally ill, but they can't handle killing armed terrorists and murderers on death row? Put another way, why is killing the innocent right, and killing the guilty, wrong?
Apart from the same old arguments about "choice", etc., it seems that if you are such a pacifist that you abhor war and the death penalty, you would be even more aghast at killing the innocent.

This can easily be turned around. Why are so many conservatives who claim to be "pro-life" for the execution of prisoners, especially when there have been cases of innocent people being executed?

Hagbard Celine said:
Well, the question is what right do you have to make assumptions about another person's kid? Some might want you to have an opinion on their kid, but many, many people would not. I knew somebody was going to pose the hypothetical "why don't I just kill my daughter because she inconveniences me?" But I can retort with an argument that pro-lifers usually use.

In car accidents where a pregnant woman's fetus is killed, the offending driver is charged with infanticide. Well, you might be asking yourself "Self, why is it considered "infanticide" in car accidents, but not in abortions?" The difference is that aborted fetuses are unwanted by the parents, i.e. the people who created the fetus do not want it. But a woman carrying a baby would usually only be carrying because she wanted the baby. If a third party, outside of the fetus' creators kills the fetus, it's infanticide because that third party had no right to determine the fetus' future. Do you see the distinction?

Now when you look at the issue like this, you can see that society over-all views fetus' rights individually depending on how its parents do. Society agrees for the most part that when you are born, you become a genuine member of the human race and you become a citizen of whichever country you were born into. So your "kill my daughter" argument doesn't fly because killing her would just be plain murder because she has already been born. A fetus' right to life is dependent on what its parents feel and cannot be dictated by any third party because only the creators have the right to make a decision regarding its future.

Your entire argument stands or falls on the shameful premise that a woman's convenience should trump the life of an unborn baby, just because she is the mother, and just because that baby hasn't yet been born. That is a premise with which I disagree, so the argument easily falls right there. Unless you restrict abortion strictly to the short time before viablilty, there is no logical difference between your abortion rights argument, and my teenaged daughter scenario. In both cases, the parents "created" the child (your threshhold for having the right to kill), and in both cases the child is an inconvenience. And even that requires that you ignore the argument that by aborting that human, you never gave it a chance to reach viability.

On a separate note, regarding the woman in the car accident, I am willing to bet that even if she was at the time of the accident on her way to have that baby aborted, she would still sue for monetary rewards for harm to the baby.

archangel said:
the old stone adobe in Carson Valley eh...a mansion by old and maybe new standards...if so ya come from good stock...what happened...Berkley maybe?

no no no not the stone adobe....it is a one room river rock shake right along the creek along the old carson road....my dad and uncle are burried there in a family plot....not berkely...i just have a tollerant moral centre.....drives em nuts...i am extreamly conservative but what other people do i could care less....live and let live if you will but be responsible and accountable for your actions.....

manu1959 said:
original question:

Simple question, based on debates in a couple of other threads:

she used the term unborn babies.....
Donno, Ask a Lib.
I the same spirt, why are so many right wingers hell bent on FORCING their
beleifs of right and wrong on others?

Two way street..

Hagbard Celine said:
This can easily be turned around. Why are so many conservatives who claim to be "pro-life" for the execution of prisoners, especially when there have been cases of innocent people being executed?

mistakes are always made....pro life because the child deserves a chance....pro death peanalty because when you take away all the rights of another person you should pay the same price.

manu1959 said:
no no no not the stone adobe....it is a one room river rock shake right along the creek along the old carson road....my dad and uncle are burried there in a family plot....not berkely...i just have a tollerant moral centre.....drives em nuts...i am extreamly conservative but what other people do i could care less....live and let live if you will but be responsible and accountable for your actions.....

one room river shack on old Carson Road...not the adobe in the Carson Valley...maybe a uncle lived there? Genoa rings a bell...!

Mr. P said:
Donno, Ask a Lib.
I the same spirt, why are so many right wingers hell bent on FORCING their
beleifs of right and wrong on others?

Two way street..

those on the edges always seek to draw more to them to increase their power

Hagbard Celine said:

The babies being killed by virtue of liberal philosophy are 100% innocent. The other group has been judged guilty by our legal system, a jury of peers if it goes to trial, has a lawyer, court-appointed if needed, and remains guilty despite numerous lengthy appeals, and with all the protections of the Constitution, such as the 4th Amendment. Yes, there are some cases where innocent people are found gulty, but despite all the attention they get in the media, they are the exception.

All babies are innocent.

Not quite the seamless turn-around you want it to be.

archangel said:
one room river shack on old Carson Road...not the adobe in the Carson Valley...maybe a uncle lived there? Genoa rings a bell...!

family name was saur....german FOB....their daughter married into the fry family....attorneys and politicians

manu1959 said:
family name was saur....german FOB....their daughter married into the fry family....attorneys and politicians

thought so...ya gave way too many hints though...way too easy!...LOL

archangel said:
the 'shear' pin on your tail rotor is going to blow...lighten up chopper dude!
Can't Arch..39 threads and 500 posts on this board about abortion..It's an Obsession for some and never goes anywhere. The dog goes round an round.

Mr. P said:
Can't Arch..39 threads and 500 posts on this board about abortion..It's an Obsession for some and never goes anywhere. The dog goes round an round.

It's only a obsession with the 'Ultra Libs' they keep bringing it up..and the conservatives keepa' spanking them...thats all!

archangel said:
It's only a obsession with the 'Ultra Libs' they keep bringing it up..and the conservatives keepa' spanking them...thats all!

Gimme a break archie, you can make a thread around here about cookie recipes and within 2 or 3 pages the subject turns to abortion!
:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

My original post was an attempt to discuss what looks to me like a striking inconsistency in liberal thinking towards killing. Since abortion was one of the issues that I used to highlight the inconsistency (along with death penalty, war and euthanasia), it is logical that it would be discussed. I did hope for a more macro discussion of the issues, but I am not the thread police. These things always flow according to the interests of the posters on line at the time.

Edited to add: Abortion isn't the lightening rod issue during Supreme Court nominations and political campaigns in general, because no one is interested in it.

Forum List

Back