Kill:Casualty Rate-Something To Write Home About

freeandfun1 said:
bullshit. he is afraid because he saw 3,000 people get killed in NYC, DC and PA in just a couple of hours. He is afraid because these Islamofacists thugs have attacked us and they have said repeatedly that they will attack us again. He is afraid because sometimes fear is your best defense.

Get it?

No, I don't get it. Our case study lives in rural America with a MICROSCOPIC chance of being affected by terrorism. Watching CNN on 9/11 was (to refer back to the metaphor) like watching a Fox show on "World's Most Gruesome Shark Attacks" for Middle America. Made you terrified of going in the water, when you're never going to see a shark in your life. Thus, his fear is irrational.

nakedemperor said:
No, I don't get it. Our case study lives in rural America with a MICROSCOPIC chance of being affected by terrorism. Watching CNN on 9/11 was (to refer back to the metaphor) like watching a Fox show on "World's Most Gruesome Shark Attacks" for Middle America. Made you terrified of going in the water, when you're never going to see a shark in your life. Thus, his fear is irrational.

I don't know if I've ever responded to your posts. I know for quite awhile, I've purposely not. However, while you may be correct about some guy from Eureka, IL being hit by a plane made into WMD, many from Eureka do make their way to international airports, railroads, and vacation areas where they might become victims. I live in Greater Chicago Region. Well outside of the Loop, thus my odds are the same as yours, barring a nuclear weapon. At the same time, I do have empathy, not to mention connections with my neighbors and family members and citizens of Chicago, NY, LA, Detroit, etc., that may well be at risk.

Do I go to the Loop at least 2 times a month on average, yes. Do I fly when I get the chance, yes. I also work less than 2 miles from O'Hare Int'l. I live within 6 mi. of Fermi Lab. I am not Afraid, but am aware, that is what has been accomplished. We have many muslims in this area, many are business owners. Are people shunning their businesses? No. Do any of us have problems at sporting events, awards ceremonies, or other activities at school? No. Doesn't matter that they wear head scarves, etc. Unlike France, we don't feel that is a threat. The threat is if and when someone decides to act, which I don't feel these people would do. My kids have been friends with theirs, run and sang with theirs.

alright, first of all, two things matter above all, economics and safety.
the average american wants to feel safe from terrorists, whether or not they're really at a large risk of a terror attack.

and the average american does not want to see the US economy take another massive hit like the 9/11 attacks. imagine the effect on the economy if another major attack, especially one that ravaged an important city or financial sector.

whether or not you are at risk of a terror attack, your financial future and your children's future are at great risk if you take no steps to fight terrorism.

it will never be eradicated, but it can be minimized and diminished. you can do nothing, or you can do something. i'd rather do something (even if it means i go to sea and die of boredom thirty times over for months on end)

NATO AIR said:
the average american wants to feel safe from terrorists, whether or not they're really at a large risk of a terror attack.

and the average american does not want to see the US economy take another massive hit like the 9/11 attacks. imagine the effect on the economy if another major attack, especially one that ravaged an important city or financial sector.

whether or not you are at risk of a terror attack, your financial future and your children's future are at great risk if you take no steps to fight terrorism.

it will never be eradicated, but it can be minimized and diminished. you can do nothing, or you can do something. i'd rather do something (even if it means i go to sea and die of boredom thirty times over for months on end)

Nato, you will NOT die of boredom, though it may think so. Thank you for your service. I'm glad you seem to be mostly out of harm's way, though I never underestimate the NK.

(its actually sort of exciting now kathianne, i'm the corpsman for a f-18 hornet squadron (vfa-192) which deploys with the Kitty Hawk, because the former female corspman is pregnant and getting ready to have the kid by thanksgiving)

i also forgot to add, the average american does not want americans (or anyone, russian, israeli, iraqi, indian, etc etc) to suffer that kind of tragedy again, especially kids.... dying children know no politics (or idealogy) (as ronald reagan once said)

NATO AIR said:
(its actually sort of exciting now kathianne, i'm the corpsman for a f-18 hornet squadron (vfa-192) which deploys with the Kitty Hawk, because the former female corspman is pregnant and getting ready to have the kid by thanksgiving)

i also forgot to add, the average american does not want americans (or anyone, russian, israeli, iraqi, indian, etc etc) to suffer that kind of tragedy again, especially kids.... dying children know no politics (or idealogy) (as ronald reagan once said)

Nato, I don't think I'm overstating the 'average American response' in hoping that we wish all would stop fighting. We wish that all would deal diplomatically, in a 'real' sense, with their complaints. Problem is that those who seem to have grievances, have been attacking for over 30 years, without good results, yet are unwilling to deal with their responses.

Can you imagine if IRAN or NK were to take out page in NYT saying they were willing to toss nuclear weapons, IF the US would guarantee ????. Then they could deal with.

Kathianne said:
I don't know if I've ever responded to your posts. I know for quite awhile, I've purposely not. However, while you may be correct about some guy from Eureka, IL being hit by a plane made into WMD, many from Eureka do make their way to international airports, railroads, and vacation areas where they might become victims. I live in Greater Chicago Region. Well outside of the Loop, thus my odds are the same as yours, barring a nuclear weapon. At the same time, I do have empathy, not to mention connections with my neighbors and family members and citizens of Chicago, NY, LA, Detroit, etc., that may well be at risk.

Do I go to the Loop at least 2 times a month on average, yes. Do I fly when I get the chance, yes. I also work less than 2 miles from O'Hare Int'l. I live within 6 mi. of Fermi Lab. I am not Afraid, but am aware, that is what has been accomplished. We have many muslims in this area, many are business owners. Are people shunning their businesses? No. Do any of us have problems at sporting events, awards ceremonies, or other activities at school? No. Doesn't matter that they wear head scarves, etc. Unlike France, we don't feel that is a threat. The threat is if and when someone decides to act, which I don't feel these people would do. My kids have been friends with theirs, run and sang with theirs.

You're right, most Americans are in danger at least sometimes. Anyone who flies is obviously potentially at risk. However, that risk is still approaching non-existant (like you said, barring nuclear weapons). I guess what I'm trying to say is that the fear that I view as mostly irrational, and definitely disproportionate, isn't so much detracting from people's day-to-day baseline happiness, but more monopolizing the national dialogue. How about this: I feel like we TALK about it significantly more than problems which have similar or greater potential to affect American lifestyle and economy.

nakedemperor said:
You're right, most Americans are in danger at least sometimes. Anyone who flies is obviously potentially at risk. However, that risk is still approaching non-existant (like you said, barring nuclear weapons). I guess what I'm trying to say is that the fear that I view as mostly irrational, and definitely disproportionate, isn't so much detracting from people's day-to-day baseline happiness, but more monopolizing the national dialogue. How about this: I feel like we TALK about it significantly more than problems which have similar or greater potential to affect American lifestyle and economy.

You know Naked, I don't hink we should have to be concerned. I don't think the Iraqis should be either. I think the Russians and Chechyans should be able to go about their day to day business and school duties. Certainly don't think that innocents in a plane or 5 year olds at school should have to be in fear-but on 9/11 or in the Chechyan school, these 'hopes' were not materialized.

You, if I'm reading you correctly, are 'wishing' that we can 'get past' 9/11? But what of Bali? Falluja? Chechnya? Attempts that are not being given coverage?

the thing is, this will never end. there will always be varying forms of evil in the world, some we can deal with, some we have to go to war with.

i just meant that the average american is concerned about the WOT being fought properly and with force because they tire of Americans and other peoples being killed in these cowardly attacks. Terrorism is not like war, the American people will never get used to attacks (whether past or future ones).

NATO AIR said:
the thing is, this will never end. there will always be varying forms of evil in the world, some we can deal with, some we have to go to war with.

i just meant that the average american is concerned about the WOT being fought properly and with force because they tire of Americans and other peoples being killed in these cowardly attacks. Terrorism is not like war, the American people will never get used to attacks (whether past or future ones).

I think I 'hear you' Nato. Face it, if US wished to crush those that wish us ill, most of the Middle East, parts of Western Europe and Eastern Europe would be gone. They are not. Do our 'enemies' consider this, or just see it as a 'weakness?'

NATO AIR said:

Very well put. And might I might add, MOST Americans DO actually believe that ANY American lives lost are damange to our country and therefore, their lives. So although they themselves might not be targets of terrorists, the damange inflicted upon this GREAT nation is fealt by many of them and it is not something they wish to endure needlessly because some liberal idiots believe that appeasement will rule the day.

kathianne, i think they consider that a weakness

they do not understand our concepts of mercy, justice and reconcilliation.

that is why America is the WORLD.... as many before me have said, if we opened up the floodgates and let anyone who wanted in, most of the world would be empty and in America. and most of them would eventually (or automatically, in some cases) be proud to be Americans and part of America.

NATO AIR said:
kathianne, i think they consider that a weakness

they do not understand our concepts of mercy, justice and reconcilliation.

that is why America is the WORLD.... as many before me have said, if we opened up the floodgates and let anyone who wanted in, most of the world would be empty and in America. and most of them would eventually (or automatically, in some cases) be proud to be Americans and part of America.

Nato, as a non-conservative, you've just backed up what I posted to the French guy. While we sound 'non-empathetic' we are probably the most empathetic country that has ever existed, from a postion of strength. I refered to Bam a bit ago, I think on the Israeli thread. The American people support our enemies and our 'friends' knowing that either are transient.

you are right

no one else in history would be doing what we are now or what we've done in the past.

hell, we sent our air force disaster response team to iran to help them out after the bam earthquake last year, c'mon now, it don't get any more generous and humanistic than that.

NATO AIR said:
you are right

no one else in history would be doing what we are now or what we've done in the past.

hell, we sent our air force disaster response team to iran to help them out after the bam earthquake last year, c'mon now, it don't get any more generous and humanistic than that.

I agree. Israel, like I suggested with the Bam example. Both are strong enough to 'crush' their enemies. When Bam happened? Israel sent help, which was rejected by Iran, based on their religious beliefs. They would sacrifice their people on principle. Would not happen in either Israel or US, their people come first. That's why Kerry will lose, he wants our security tied with UN, which has a proven record of ineptness....

NATO AIR said:
as we see so tragically with Darfur and the scandal of the Iraqi oil for food program
Nato, the Dems have no idea what they are losing with you! It's in your nature to vote with them, but your brain will overrule. Their loss.

haha :thewave:

i'm just following my awakening i've experienced in the past year or so

funny how many of the things you take for granted and believe in can be so wrong

\

NATO AIR said:
haha :thewave:

i'm just following my awakening i've experienced in the past year or so

funny how many of the things you take for granted and believe in can be so wrong
Please tell me some of your experience here has influenced? I hate to think I've written this much without being paid, without influence! :chains:

well some things have happened here and with folks in the military, who have stressed looking at issues with common sense

that's what many people do here

i still disagree quite a bit both here and there, but the common sense theme is very powerful and opens up a lot of doors to reality i hadn't seen before.

other things are just me growing up and seeing for myself the effects of what is happening in the world today (WOT, poverty, corruption, government inepititude, etc etc) in the US and other nations

i'm staking out my positions :) gimme some more time, by january we'll be in better shape

Forum List

Back