Kill Bill Vol. 2

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I am sooooooooooo excited that this is coming out soon (Apr. 16th). I've heard it's actually better than the first one, which I thought was amazing. It's shaping up to be a really good year for movies, Eternal Sunshine, Jersey Girl, Kill Bill 2... By the way, when did Uma Thurman get so hot? I mean, she was always pretty, but ever since this movie, she's really moved way up on my list. Something about a girl that can kick major ass, I guess.

Kill Bill was wicked. I liked the over the top anime bloodlust, and the whole western/asian vibe. Just a few days to go...

I really can't see why people like this movie so much. I hated it, man the director, in my opinion, tried way to hard on this movie. however, the spiky-ball-on a chain girl was hott though.

Im not sure what was worse in this movie. The acting or the writing. It was terrible.

Im not sure what was worse in this movie. The acting or the writing. It was terrible.

I'm assuming you're talking about Vol. 1, right?

Well, first of all, it was an ultra-stylized action film, a kung-fu action film at that. Complaining about the level of acting in a movie of this nature is like complaining about a lack of the harpsichord on the new 50 Cent album.

That said, I think the acting was amazing. I didn't much care for Vivica A. Fox in her small role, but I really loved Uma Thurman in this one. The moment after she wakes up from the coma and realizes her baby is gone is rough to watch, and rightfully so, in my opinion. Lucy Liu was great in the classic Tarantino role of a person who seems totally calm and collected, but it capable of unspeakable acts. Something about her calmness throughout the movie is very unsettling.

As for the writing, I thought it fit perfectly into the kind of film Tarantino was trying to do. I know this sounds like an easy out, but the dude was making an homage to a genre of films that is routinely singled out for poor acting and writing.

I think the theater experience had a lot to do with this movie. It's very visceral for the most part (I mean, come on, the last 40 minutes is just one long swordfight, for crying out loud!), and I think the huge screen and great sound helps add to that visceral experience.

I don't know what else to tell you... ya either get it, or ya don't.:dunno:

Yeah sorry...Vol 1

I guess I dont get the "iltra-stylized action" films then. It still sucked though.

Saw this last night, and it was just great.

However, before I get to my review, I'd like to extend a hearty FU to the group of jackasses in the back who thought that when everyone laughed at some dumb joke they yelled out during the previews, it was an invitation to run their yaps through the entire movie.

Now that that's out of the way. I have to confess, I expected this to be a sequel of sorts, kinda like the Matrix "trilogy", how each one carries on the same story but can basically be a stand-alone movie. I was way wrong. The movie jumps back and forth through time to bring all of the character's motivations to light more clearly. Don't go into this expecting another non-stop action movie.

Which isn't to say there isn't any action in it. The centerpiece of the film is a fight between Uma Thurman and Daryl Hannah that takes place inside of a cramped mobile home. Unlike Vol. 1, most of the violence in this scene, and indeed in the entire movie, is very realistic, which led to many audible groans and gasps in the theater. I like that Tarantino pulled the rug out from under the audience like that, making them think about what they were enjoying in part 1. Speaking of making you uncomfortable, there is a sequence in which The Bride is buried alive, and once her casket is closed, the screen goes black and all we can hear are her cries and the sound of dirt being thrown on top of the casket. It was unbelievably effective, I really started getting very uncomfortable.

I would like to see this movie as one big whole, because while both work individually, I think the movie would be far more effective as one long movie.

David Carradine was awesome. I never expected Bill to end up being such a sympathetic character, but by the final showdown (which occurs after the most startling and heartbreaking scene in the movie), I honestly wasn't sure whether I wanted to see him die or not.

In the end, I'd have to give this four stars. And, no, it's not because I'm some rabid Tarantino fan, it was just a great movie which had everything I would ever want out of a movie. Even if you didn't like part 1, I'd say see vol. 2, because it's almost completely different in style.

NOTE: It is not necessary to have seen Vol. 1 to see and enjoy Vol. 2, as there is a quick prologue in which the Bride addresses the audience directly and more or less explains everything that's happened up to that point.

Well, OK, I'm a Tarantino fan, sue me, the guy's one of the best writer/directors out there right now. I will say he sucks as an actor, and as a person, he seems really annoying.

Orginally posted by Dan
And, who knew David Carradine had it in him, huh?

Yeah, sort of reminded my of the last few years of Johnny Cash, rediscovering someone who was there all along.

I did not catch the ending credit with Darly Hannah's character. Interesting observation Dan.

Forum List

Back