kids: get ready to be be drafted for corrupt politicians

Originally posted by eric
No, he just failed to comply with the UN resolutions. By the way, yes it is a punishment.
Apparently, it was effective. He wasn't able to reconstitute his conventional forces, nor his WMD program while under sanctions. This was the stated goal of the sanctions (remove him as a threat in the region) and they therefor must be considered effective.

Apparently, it was effective. He wasn't able to reconstitute his conventional forces, nor his WMD program while under sanctions. This was the stated goal of the sanctions (remove him as a threat in the region) and they therefor must be considered effective.

wouldn't that statement effectively kill Bush's argument that iraq HAD reconstituted his programs?

:) It would be very good for the country. Interesting, if Bush's daughters would be drafted and sent to Iraq?

Originally posted by Sevendogs
:) It would be very good for the country. Interesting, if Bush's daughters would be drafted and sent to Iraq?

Please explain how it would be good for the country.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
wouldn't that statement effectively kill Bush's argument that iraq HAD reconstituted his programs?
That argument is dead in the water waiting the final Kay report. So far no evidence has surfaced of the kinds of material and infrastructure the administration claimed Iraq had.

You folks laugh at spillmind at your own risk. The reimplementation of the draft is not only being considered but is almost to the point of absolute. I talked with Fred Thompson just a little before he left the Senate and I've recently talked with several Republican reps that agree. The draft will be forthcoming should this "war" in Iraq prove unsustainable in the short term. I will assure you. The draft is real and it has been in our past and it will be in our future. My kids, my grandkids or my great grandkids ain't gonna go if this ol' vet has anything to do with it.

This is a private war. The war in Iraq. The war on terrorism is being fought by civilian incidentals with military sacrifices.

My, my. Has the gleaming of the colors blinded you?

Other than your word, which quite frankly means nothing on a message board, do you have am ounce of proof to back up the claims about the draft still being considered and being "absolute"?

The draft is and has always for as far back as I can remember been an open option. As we speak here in USMB the draft boards are being revitalized and the names are being collected. Or maybe you don't have any 18 year old sons or grandsons. Or maybe the Faux news is distorting your sense of reality. Just guessing!!!!!! :)

Originally posted by Psychoblues
The draft is and has always for as far back as I can remember been an open option. As we speak here in USMB the draft boards are being revitalized and the names are being collected. Or maybe you don't have any 18 year old sons or grandsons. Or maybe the Faux news is distorting your sense of reality. Just guessing!!!!!! :)

I'll ask again:

Other than your word, which quite frankly means nothing on a message board, do you have am ounce of proof to back up the claims about the draft still being considered and being "absolute"?

This has already been posted in this thread. I will re-post it because I am assuming that Psycho did not go back far enough in the thread, or skimmed a bit too quickly.

The bill is NOT seriously being considered. It was introduced (by a Democrat, by the way) as opposition to the war in Iraq, as a way to "scare" the American public out of supporting our decision to go to war with Iraq. That, coupled with people tossing the race card around, was the basis of the bill. It was not, nor will it be, serious legislation. No one is giving it serious thought... really now. It was a strategic effort on behalf of the Democrats to quash the support for the war. Period. Nothing more.

"The New York Democrat told reporters his goal is two-fold: to jolt Americans into realizing the import of a possible unilateral strike against Iraq, which he opposes, and "to make it clear that if there were a war, there would be more equitable representation of people making sacrifices."

Really.... you Democrats need to get a new line.

"We're not going to re-implement a draft. There is no need for it at all," Rumsfeld said. "The disadvantages of using compulsion to bring into the armed forces the men and women needed are notable."

CNN article. There are many more out there.

I had no idea to the extent that you are confused. Do a little googling on "selective service" and "military shortfalls". Check with any 18 year old male that you can find and ask him about registration. Just read the papers for crissake.

As far as my words are concerned and the fact that they "frankly don't mean anything on a message board" would you agree that yours don't either? fwiw.

As far as my words are concerned and the fact that they "frankly don't mean anything on a message board" would you agree that yours don't either? fwiw.

I'll agree with that, but documents and news articles have been produced showing that the draft talk is nonsense. Have you provided anything to show otherwise? Didn't think so.

You got me on that one, jimnyc. I've searched for an article or something that would verify for you and me that the draft is forthcoming but I simply can't find one. I would point out, however, that in conversations with several congressional reps from several states they assure me that the draft IS being talked about and talked about a lot. In fact, there is legislation already drawn up to reimplement the draft should it become necessary.

I continue to read Stars and Stripes and I keep up with veterans and active duty affairs. I sure see a lot of poor morale creeping into the letters to the editors in Stars and Stripes. Things I thought I'd never see in that publication. I also keep in touch with many of my old buddies that served and some who are still serving. They aren't painting a pretty picture concerning morale and many tell me that they are experiencing shortfalls and the recruitment picture is fairly bleak. But thats this guy's take on the big picture, nothing official.

If I can find anything more substantive I'll be sure to post it.

I've already chimed in on the fact that a new draft would be politically devestating for any rep who votes for it, but if you couple the possibility of the draft with the general franks interview about how another 9/11 style attack could drastically change the way we govern the country to a military enforced country........it sounds kind of strange.

:) When draft will be reinstated, would they take all the girls to Iraq as well? How about Bush's kids? Are they patriotic enough to go to fight there for the rebuilding iraq? I guess, this would end this bogus project quickly. True patriots should take a better care about our country first.

How about Bush's kids?

This is where I just have to sit back and shake my head. What do Bush's kids have to do with this.... he's not supporting the draft. This legislation was initiated by a DEMOCRAT. It has no support from the majority of EITHER party. Its almost as if you were saying "Bush would think twice about this draft thing if he felt his kids would be drafted". BUSH IS NOT SUPPORTING THE DRAFT.

D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T-S
A-R-E

No politician would be stupid enough to support this bill.... it would enrage the public. It would basically be political suicide.

I've searched for an article or something that would verify for you and me that the draft is forthcoming but I simply can't find one. I would point out, however, that in conversations with several congressional reps from several states they assure me that the draft IS being talked about and talked about a lot. In fact, there is legislation already drawn up to reimplement the draft should it become necessary.

Psychoblues,

If you read the whole thread, you will see my post that addresses this legislation. It died in committee back in January. There will not be a vote on it in either House. And, as DK mentioned, it would be a political career-killer to vote for the draft, especially in a Presidential election year.

The reason that you can't find any articles on the draft is because there will be no draft.

You're exactly right , gop_jeff except one small detail. The legislation did not die in committee. I think it is true that it's not actively making it's way through the houses but it is by no means "dead". If and when the time comes for a more serious look at the draft the legislation is ready and written to get it quickly through the committees and to the floors of congress for consideration. But that's the way it's been for years except that just recently the older documents have been brought out for updating and prepared for reconsideration should that become necessary. Of course that word "necessary" is open to considerable interpretation and debate. :)

I hope the draft is never seriously considered in this country again but given the rapid depletion of forces and deterioration of morale as is plainly demonstrated in Stars and Stripes, Army Times, Air Force Times, Sergeant and several other credible publications I don't see how it can be avoided. Right now the armed forces have stop-gap measures in force that prevent our troops from getting out or retiring voluntarilly. That one fact alone has the NGers and Reservists hopping mad and it is anticipated that when the stop-gap wall comes down the rush to the gates to get the heck out of Dodge will devastate our reserve/standby forces and the regular forces can be expected to be likewise effected.

I don't anticipate, though I did just a few months ago, any rapid return to conscription but to dismiss that it's being considered is just folly. Our all volunteer forces have been doing very well under Republican and Democratic administrations but they've never seen anything like a GWB before. Cutting combat pay, cutting veterans benefits, slashing MWR funding all the while the combat is still on-going and the redeployments after only a few months back home or in safer environments and a lot more will certainly have an effect on wheter or how quickly we see a return to conscription. Another thing to consider is that our troops here at home and those in the fields and war zones (oh, I forgot, the war is over, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED) are seeing first hand how the dollars are being thrown willy nilly to the defense contractors and their labor forces while our troops are scrounging for an extra bottle of water or a mat to sleep on or a blanket to use as a roof.

It's pretty doggone hard for nonvets, the civilians here in the safety of their homes and those that make decisions from behind burly walnut desks to comprehend just what it is that our troops are having to endure all the while watching their guarantees disappear before their very eyes.

Forum List

Back