Kids and guns:dont ignore this aspect of the discussion

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by dmf047xx, Mar 31, 2010.

1. dmf047xx

dmf047xx Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    now I have only been using the forum for a few days, but have already noticed a pattern: People deserve to have their gun no matter what you could possibly say in opposition.

One part of this discussion that needs to stop being ignored is the role of children and accidents with guns.

Not all the debate about guns should center around self defense and protection!

According to the RAND coorporation, in 2000, only 39% of gun-owners with kids kept their guns locked (with one or more mechanism) and kept the bullets locked in a seperate place.

According to the same study, 13 percent of gun owners with children, stored their gun(s) either loaded, or with ammo nearby, also unlocked.

Those 13% of homes that have improper storage Allows 2.6 MILLION KIDS access to either a loaded gun, or an unlocked gun with ammo stored beside it.

This translates into the following grim statistic:

According to the center for disease control, in 2005 every 9 hours a child (0-19 years old) was killed by a gun ACCDENT or SUICIDE. (I am wondering how many more accidents there were that only resulted in injury or the death of another)

Fortunately, this incidents can be corrected by regulation and education, so you don't have to lay down your arms to correct this issue.

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    try this:

people deserve the right to self protection.

i live in a rural area...huge county land wise...it can take the police more than minutes to get somewhere....again i am entitled to protect myself..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What is it you would like us to discuss? Not obvious to me... possible child-safe storage solutions?

4. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,095
    it's obvious that people need to teach kids how to handle weapons properly

Tell me how many kids accidentally shot themselves when every family had weapons in their homes for hunting and protection and when those kids were out shooting and hunting as soon as they could aim a rifle.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i used trigger locks for a long time...but then you have to just take them out and show them what a weapon can do

6. dmf047xx

dmf047xx Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah my initial post was not clear enough. Here's what I want to address: how can we enforce these gun storage laws in a practical way, what needs to be done to correct this issue? And how can you still utilize your weapon for home defense while still employing saftey? Where is the balance so to speak...

7. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Ok, would you agree that you have the responsibility to protect your children from these dangerous weapons? Do you keep the carving knives secured? If you had a swimming pool and had smallish people living in your home would you keep the gate locked?

8. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    it's pretty simple: lock the guns and ammo in separate secure places

train your kids in firearm safety that is appropriate to their age. the NRA is an excellent source for this
    Eddie Eagle Safety Program

9. dmf047xx

dmf047xx Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree that gun owners should (actually must) take these precautions. But, if everyone was taking these measures to secure their firearms, we would not be in this situation. The bottom line is that these VOLUNTARY programs are great for the ones who use them, but not everyone does so... Can we come up with a creative way to have gun owners use these programs, at least require it for parents who have firearms?

10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    I'll choose education. You can keep your regulation since it only works for criminals not to mention that it's unconstitutional.