Kids and guns:dont ignore this aspect of the discussion

dmf047xx

Rookie
Mar 29, 2010
Hi,
now I have only been using the forum for a few days, but have already noticed a pattern: People deserve to have their gun no matter what you could possibly say in opposition.

One part of this discussion that needs to stop being ignored is the role of children and accidents with guns.

Not all the debate about guns should center around self defense and protection!

According to the RAND coorporation, in 2000, only 39% of gun-owners with kids kept their guns locked (with one or more mechanism) and kept the bullets locked in a seperate place.

According to the same study, 13 percent of gun owners with children, stored their gun(s) either loaded, or with ammo nearby, also unlocked.

Those 13% of homes that have improper storage Allows 2.6 MILLION KIDS access to either a loaded gun, or an unlocked gun with ammo stored beside it.

This translates into the following grim statistic:

According to the center for disease control, in 2005 every 9 hours a child (0-19 years old) was killed by a gun ACCDENT or SUICIDE. (I am wondering how many more accidents there were that only resulted in injury or the death of another)

Fortunately, this incidents can be corrected by regulation and education, so you don't have to lay down your arms to correct this issue.

Hi,
now I have only been using the forum for a few days, but have already noticed a pattern: People deserve to have their gun no matter what you could possibly say in opposition.

One part of this discussion that needs to stop being ignored is the role of children and accidents with guns.

According to the RAND coorporation, in 2000, only 39% of gun-owners with kids kept their guns locked (with one or more mechanism) and kept the bullets locked in a seperate place.

According to the same study, 13 percent of gun owners with children, stored their gun(s) either loaded, or with ammo nearby, also unlocked.

Those 13% of homes that have improper storage Allows 2.6 MILLION KIDS access to either a loaded gun, or an unlocked gun with ammo stored beside it.

According to the center for disease control, in 2005 every 9 hours a child (0-19 years old) was killed by a gun ACCDENT or SUICIDE. (I am wondering how many more accidents there were that only resulted in injury or the death of another)

Fortunately, this incidents can be corrected by regulation and education, so you don't have to lay down your arms to correct this issue.

try this:

people deserve the right to self protection.

i live in a rural area...huge county land wise...it can take the police more than minutes to get somewhere....again i am entitled to protect myself..

Hi,

What is it you would like us to discuss? Not obvious to me... possible child-safe storage solutions?

it's obvious that people need to teach kids how to handle weapons properly

Tell me how many kids accidentally shot themselves when every family had weapons in their homes for hunting and protection and when those kids were out shooting and hunting as soon as they could aim a rifle.

Last edited:
Hi,

What is it you would like us to discuss? Not obvious to me... possible child-safe storage solutions?
Yeah my initial post was not clear enough. Here's what I want to address: how can we enforce these gun storage laws in a practical way, what needs to be done to correct this issue? And how can you still utilize your weapon for home defense while still employing saftey? Where is the balance so to speak...

Hi,

try this:

people deserve the right to self protection.

i live in a rural area...huge county land wise...it can take the police more than minutes to get somewhere....again i am entitled to protect myself..

Ok, would you agree that you have the responsibility to protect your children from these dangerous weapons? Do you keep the carving knives secured? If you had a swimming pool and had smallish people living in your home would you keep the gate locked?

it's pretty simple: lock the guns and ammo in separate secure places

train your kids in firearm safety that is appropriate to their age. the NRA is an excellent source for this

I agree that gun owners should (actually must) take these precautions. But, if everyone was taking these measures to secure their firearms, we would not be in this situation. The bottom line is that these VOLUNTARY programs are great for the ones who use them, but not everyone does so... Can we come up with a creative way to have gun owners use these programs, at least require it for parents who have firearms?

I'll choose education. You can keep your regulation since it only works for criminals not to mention that it's unconstitutional.

Aw, I love Eddie Eagle. I had that tape in my house for YEARS. Any kid who came into our house saw it.
I need to get it on DVD now...

We are a free people (well not sure these days) so there will always be the idiots in life that do not respect gun ownership and the responsibilities of owning one, however to force laws on everyone for the idiots I think is wrong. If you want to be a bad parent or kill yourself, that is on you, it isn't the Governments job to save you from yourself.

I too live deep in the bubba nation, and police response time is 16 minutes...you bet I am locked and loaded!

It takes longer than that where I am. One of our deputies lives in town...one lives about an hour away.

I'll choose education. You can keep your regulation since it only works for criminals not to mention that it's unconstitutional.

Is it unconstituional to force individuals convicted of a DUI to attend counseling or classes?

Please cite something as proof. Unconstitutionality is a popular word to dismiss anything these days you know...

dmf,

Welcome to USMB.

I support the right of any individual to own a gun if he/she so chooses.

Being the father of three (now pretty much grown but still in the house) I have never owned a gun until recently when I inherited an ancient (in my opinion) rifle from my dad, that I don't even know if it would fire because there were kids in my house. Nothing would be worse than to come home and find one of your children lying in a pool of blood with your gun in his hands.

I made the personal decision not to own one, but I am thankful to know that I still have the right to do so should I suddenly feel the need to do so.

Immie

Facts are facts, depending on the area you live in your not going to need your gun to kill an intruder, so keeping a load gun next to your bed when you have children is beyond reckless.

HOWEVER, the gun industry has created great gun safes. Below is a one that can be kept in a drawer or on the nightstand that uses your fingerprint to open. You can also use large safes in the basement.

I fully practice my right to bear arms, but I make sure it secure from my children.
9870d1270056374-kids-and-guns-dont-ignore-this-aspect-of-the-discussion-gun-safe.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Less then a 1000 PEOPLE a year die due to gun accidents. As for suicide, no gun, they use another method.

200 MILLION guns and only 1000 die a year, wanna do the math on that? Hell recently it has been around 800.

We are a free people (well not sure these days) so there will always be the idiots in life that do not respect gun ownership and the responsibilities of owning one, however to force laws on everyone for the idiots I think is wrong. If you want to be a bad parent or kill yourself, that is on you, it isn't the Governments job to save you from yourself.

I too live deep in the bubba nation, and police response time is 16 minutes...you bet I am locked and loaded!

That's exactly what I am trying to communicate here. Gun ownership can potentially effect more people than yourself. Owners children for instance.
The way I see it, in the bolded and underlined statements above you completely neglect the welfare of others when it is obvious that the impact a gun can have resonates well beyond it's owner.

So does owning a car.
Or a tub. I think more kids die from drowning each year than from accidental shooting.
I KNOW more kids are killed by cars.

I'd say probably more kids are killed by men who are not their fathers than die in accidental shootings.

That's exactly what I am trying to communicate here. Gun ownership can potentially effect more people than yourself. Owners children for instance.
The way I see it, in the bolded and underlined statements above you completely neglect the welfare of others when it is obvious that the impact a gun can have resonates well beyond it's owner.
The government has no place in any home to tell any household how to run their families. Sad that children die, but that is life...you or I have no right to impose on everyone because of some bad cases. That is the way life works...sucks doesn't it, but no way can you protect everyone with more regulation and impose your will on others. That isn't freedom!

Forum List

Back