Kicked out of school for long hair.........

You know.........even though the school has rules on the length of hair for boys (a rule I disagree with by the way), they should make exceptions for this young man......

A few inches of hair stand between J.T. Gaskins and an education.

The 17-year-old, who had been treated for cancer and said he now wants to grow his hair to give to Locks of Love -- a charity that provides wigs for kids who lose their hair due to chemotherapy and other treatments -- was recently suspended from Madison Academy, a charter school in Burton, Mich., for refusing to trim his tresses.

Gaskins told The Flint Journal that he was diagnosed with leukemia as an infant and has been cancer-free since age 7. “This is something I want to do, and I feel very strongly about it.”

The school’s dress code policy, spelled out in the student-parent handbook, says hair must bair must be kept “clean, neat, free of unnatural or distracting colors, off the collar, off the ears and out of the eyes” for boys.

Gaskins’ hair, which resembles the windswept bangs of Justin Bieber, dangles at his eyes and covers his ears.

His mother, Christa Plante, told the Journal she supports her son and remembers his cancer fight as a small child. “The fact that he’s ready to talk about everything he went through, his strength ... I can’t deny him that. He’s ready to speak out about what he’s been through,” Plante said, according to the newspaper.

U.S. News - School suspends cancer-survivor boy for growing hair for Locks of Love

Me personally? I hope the parents are able to sue the school over this bullshit behavior.

As long as he keeps it clean and tied back, I don't see why they should have a problem with it.

One thing I thing people should know about "locks of love" is that the hair you send in, isn't used for making wigs for peole with cancer. No they sell THAT hair to a doll manufacturer and then buy the wigs. I found that out after more than a year of growing my own hair out for them. Then I decided, it would be easier to just send them money.

Preparing students for the real world is the business of schools.

We can argue all day long about whether or not they are effective, but that's the goal. I'm not familiar with this academy, but I do know most private schools have strict dress codes - that inc. hair, makeup, and piercings. There's a reason.

You will be assimilated.

I'm not sure what makes you think you have the right to do what ever you want on someone else's property. This is a charter school. He chose to go to it; he wasn't forced so he sure as hell isn't being assimilated. Hyperbole fail on your part. They have a dress code. If he doesn't like it then transfer to the regular public school where he lives, just like in the "real" world if this were an employer. Yeah, in the "real" world, you can have long hair and tattoos and piercings like you said, but good luck finding a professional job showing up that way to the interview because in the "real" world you don't have the right to dictate to your employer how you're going to look when you come to work and what you're going to do all day.

Grow up.

Preparing students for the real world is the business of schools.

We can argue all day long about whether or not they are effective, but that's the goal. I'm not familiar with this academy, but I do know most private schools have strict dress codes - that inc. hair, makeup, and piercings. There's a reason.

You will be assimilated.

I'm not sure what makes you think you have the right to do what ever you want on someone else's property. This is a charter school. He chose to go to it; he wasn't forced so he sure as hell isn't being assimilated. Hyperbole fail on your part. They have a dress code. If he doesn't like it then transfer to the regular public school where he lives, just like in the "real" world if this were an employer. Yeah, in the "real" world, you can have long hair and tattoos and piercings like you said, but good luck finding a professional job showing up that way to the interview because in the "real" world you don't have the right to dictate to your employer how you're going to look when you come to work and what you're going to do all day.

Grow up.

So a person is a better student or a better employee because his hair is short?

Seems to me you need to step away from the flock and do some growing up yourself.

You will be assimilated.

Grow up.

Whether that is true or not is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Grow up.

No it's not.

A zero tolerance society is a mindless society.

No it's not.

Yes, it is because whether or not he is a better student with long hair or short hair is not the topic of discussion.

I agree and I don't support zero tolerance policies. I have no issue with this incident, however, because as already stated numerous times, he is not required to attend that school. He chose to attend it knowing what the policies were from the beginning just like everyone else attending it does.

No it's not.

What's zero tolerance about having a dress code at a school?

That a child is denied a chance to donate to a worth while cause because of an idiotic dress code that has absolutely nothing to do with anything but conformity is zero tolerance. It's more important that he have short hair than he exercise his sense of civic duty.

As I said zero tolerance is zero intelligence.

He's not being denied shit. If he wants to grow his hair, he can move to a school that doesn't care if his hair is long.

He would only be "denied" anything if he was forced to attend that school, and that school only.

And you know what? Schools aren't supposed to accomodate all whims, even if the intent is positive. They're a place for students to learn. And as noble as his desire to donate his hair, he won't be saving anyone's life by doing it. Nobody is being HARMED by the school's adherence to a dress/hair code.

In other words, he can either pick a different charity that won't require him to flout the rules of the school, or attend a different school. This is what it's like to GROW UP. You make choices and you deal with the hindrances imposed by law and society.

PS..his parents are douchebags for allowing this to become all about the school.

No it's not.

Yes, it is because whether or not he is a better student with long hair or short hair is not the topic of discussion.

I agree and I don't support zero tolerance policies. I have no issue with this incident, however, because as already stated numerous times, he is not required to attend that school. He chose to attend it knowing what the policies were from the beginning just like everyone else attending it does.

I'll bet his parents chose the school and he had very little say in the matter.

This kid wants to do something for others, he should be encouraged, not discouraged. The school could have taken this incident and turned it into a lesson for the whole school. They could have just raised money to give to locks of love in this person's name, encouraging him to cut his hair anyway. There are any number of things they could have done so this would end amicably and in favor of locks of love and the boy who tried to grow his hair for them. Of course, had the school simply looked up the program and discovered that the hair wouldn't be used to make wigs for people with cancer, but instead sold to a doll manufacturer, chances are the kid would have gone with a money donation instead anyway.

He's not being denied shit. If he wants to grow his hair, he can move to a school that doesn't care if his hair is long.

He would only be "denied" anything if he was forced to attend that school, and that school only.

And you know what? Schools aren't supposed to accomodate all whims, even if the intent is positive. They're a place for students to learn. And as noble as his desire to donate his hair, he won't be saving anyone's life by doing it. Nobody is being HARMED by the school's adherence to a dress/hair code.

In other words, he can either pick a different charity that won't require him to flout the rules of the school, or attend a different school. This is what it's like to GROW UP. You make choices and you deal with the hindrances imposed by law and society.

I disagree. IN this case I think the harm was done and it'll be a cold day in h*ll before the kid tries to do anything for anyone again. What a way to grow up, hating the world and being so rigid that you can't even encourage a kid to help someone.

No it's not.

He chose it, his parents chose it, whatever. The family knew the rules when they went in.

This kid wants to do something for others, he should be encouraged, not discouraged. The school could have taken this incident and turned it into a lesson for the whole school. They could have just raised money to give to locks of love in this person's name, encouraging him to cut his hair anyway. There are any number of things they could have done so this would end amicably and in favor of locks of love and the boy who tried to grow his hair for them. Of course, had the school simply looked up the program and discovered that the hair wouldn't be used to make wigs for people with cancer, but instead sold to a doll manufacturer, chances are the kid would have gone with a money donation instead anyway.

Sure the school could have let him do it or raised money instead or done a lot of other things, but they don't have to. It's their school. They get to make the rules. If you don't like the rules, you don't go to that school. Would you like if I walked into your home and told you how to run your household?

I really don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

Dress codes and short hair do not improve the quality of education and do not improve the character of students.

They are arbitrary and meaningless meant only to force conformity and limit free thinking.

No it's not.

Yes, they could have done that. But they didn't. Maybe they have a rule about raising money at the school. Who knows. The point of the matter is, there is no law keeping him at this school, and many schools have policies meant to limit distractions so that students focus on ACADEMICS rather than appearances or outside interest (or social standing).

And again, if his parents force him to attend this school, and then have a fit over the rules, they're douchebags. They're using their kid, and it's disgusting. Tell him to cut his hair, or move him.

Dress codes and short hair do not improve the quality of education and do not improve the character of students.

They are arbitrary and meaningless meant only to force conformity and limit free thinking.

Bullshit. They're meant to limit distractions so children can focus on academics. They also level the playing field as far as economic and social stature go, because they prevent children from displaying their status via clothing and other symbols. AND they cut down significantly on gang recognition.

Also, they reduce cost to parents SIGNIFICANTLY and make getting ready for school much, much less complicated, which reduces stress associated with going to school. Kids who don't have to worry about whether their clothing is up to snuff and who know they look exactly like everyone else, rich, poor, or indifferent, are kids who have one less thing to worry about...which means they're in a better place for learning.

Bullshit. They're meant to limit distractions so children can focus on academics. They also level the playing field as far as economic and social stature go, because they prevent children from displaying their status via clothing and other symbols. AND they cut down significantly on gang recognition.

Also, they reduce cost to parents SIGNIFICANTLY and make getting ready for school much, much less complicated, which reduces stress associated with going to school. Kids who don't have to worry about whether their clothing is up to snuff and who know they look exactly like everyone else, rich, poor, or indifferent, are kids who have one less thing to worry about...which means they're in a better place for learning.

Kids will form the same gangs no matter what they are forced to wear.

And I have yet to see anyone distracted by someone else's long hair.

The economic argument is pure horse shit.

It costs the same to buy a few pairs of pants and a few shirts no matter what color they are.

Forum List

Back