Keyes running for senate in Illinois

musicman said:
I believe he's a decent, honest man. I'd vote for him.

I put him in my top three republicans. Ron Paul obviously being my #1 republican. McClintock and Keyes tied for 2nd.

probably the only three republicans I would consider voting for that I am aware of right now.

Travis

found some quotes by keyes that seem relevant to the current war in iraq. One of the few remaining excuses for the war is that we had to free to iraqi people.

Tony Blair and Bill Clinton have said that the NATO action in Yugoslavia is just the beginning. They view this war as a precedent for a new internationalism, and expect similar interventions to happen regularly. Our “victory” in Yugoslavia, should it occur, will be worse than hollow -- it will be ripe with the seeds of greater evil to come, now that America has begun to teach the world that the end justifies the means.

This one seems relevant to the PATRIOT act and the imprisonment of the 'illegal combatants'. It is often justified by claiming that the act and the imprisonment are questionable, but that the end result is the maybe some info to stop some possible future attack. In other words the ends justify the means.

Aren’t we doing it for the sake of the Kosovars, and doesn’t that make it all right? The evil enemies we fought in this century did not consider themselves to be evil any more than we do now. The real evil in them was their acceptance of the principle that the end justifies the means. They are pushed into evil by people who persuade them that evil is necessary to achieve some greater good, and that the good justifies the evil. And this is what has happened to us with the war in Kosovo.

source:http://www.issues2000.org/Celeb/Alan_Keyes_War_+_Peace.htm

Alan Keyes election would be a boon to the Republicans. He would shift our party back to the right, and six years in the Senate would be enough to give him a voting record to match his publicity, making for a possible second run at the White House in 2012.

That would be great... President Keyes. Of course WJ and Big D would have to figure out someone else to vote for.

DKSuddeth said:
I thought you had to live in the state that you run for office in?

You have to live there on election day. Remember Hillary Clintons run and Elizabeth Doles run for senate in NY and NC?

Travis

Hmmm - maybe the GOP can run him for Pres in '08 against the Wicked Bitch of the East???

It's 100% legal. It just depends whether the state's citizens want someone representing them that is from out of town. Apparently NY and NC don't mind.

DKSuddeth said:
seems like theres something wrong with that.

I do not see anything wrong with it, even if they never move there. if the people of that state think you can represent them well, then so be it. Half the time the politicians end up pretty much residents of DC after a while regardless of where they started anyhow.

Beating Obama would be hard for most politicians, but it will be especially hard on someone that doesn't even live in the state. I see that as a big weakness, but it'll be interesting to see if Obama can really become a megastar of the democrat party.

DKSuddeth said:
seems like theres something wrong with that.

I think that is why Keyes hasnt accepted the invitation yet. He is debating whether it would be right.

I am a little upset with the Illinois Republican Party. Not because of their choice of Alan Keyes for the Senate. I think he represents the views conservatives well and is a strong voice. Unfortunately, in an ever trending Democratic State I do not believe his run will be successful. However, as someone who went to college in indiana and lived in Illinois since February I have watch the Illinois Republican Party become weaker and weaker mostly brought on by the corruption laced term of Governor George Ryan. I disagreed with the party on how they treated Jack Ryan, the original Senate nominee. It was not the public reaction that forced Ryan to give up his run it was the state republican Party that forced him out as though someone who runs for office must first have led a perfect life in order to qualify. As a result, in November to voice my displeasure at the Illinois Republican Party in this matter, I will vote for the Libertarian Senat Candidate Jerry Kohn.

sw2 said:
I am a little upset with the Illinois Republican Party. Not because of their choice of Alan Keyes for the Senate. I think he represents the views conservatives well and is a strong voice. Unfortunately, in an ever trending Democratic State I do not believe his run will be successful. However, as someone who went to college in indiana and lived in Illinois since February I have watch the Illinois Republican Party become weaker and weaker mostly brought on by the corruption laced term of Governor George Ryan. I disagreed with the party on how they treated Jack Ryan, the original Senate nominee. It was not the public reaction that forced Ryan to give up his run it was the state republican Party that forced him out as though someone who runs for office must first have led a perfect life in order to qualify. As a result, in November to voice my displeasure at the Illinois Republican Party in this matter, I will vote for the Libertarian Senat Candidate Jerry Kohn.

I agree with the George Ryan part and would add the hubris the GOP in Illinois has demonstrated for years on the state level. Ryan imploded during the 2000 election. I am very unhappy that the party has not developed some black candidates in the state that could have run against an Obama, but will vote for Keyes if he runs. He corrupted some legislators that had served admirably for many years, though they had to be held accountable for their own decisions. The leadership of the party is gone.

I could not have voted for Ditka, though would have enjoyed watching him. :p: A few weeks ago, I thought Obama would be the best Senator for Illinois, I know he's going to win, even if they had talked Colin Powell into running for it. However, I doubt very much that Obama will be concerned with Illinois, he is playing for national audience now. Illinois is now a democratic state and the party regulars will not be concerned with the fact that we send our money one way to Washington. It will probably remain so for quite a number of years-though an Obama type can change things rather rapidly.

Being a life long resident of Illinois and a registered Republican, I have a strong view on this matter. Being a former campaign worker for Jack Ryan only makes it worse.

Alan Keyes is a great Republican. His conservative views have the potential to recharge the GOP and position him to be the first black President. I have nothing but respect for the man and should he run, he can count on my vote.

That being said, him being chosen to run is pitiful. It feels like the Illinois GOP doesn't even want to win this senate seat. First, Judy Baar Topinka doesn't back him up and forces him to resign. This in itself makes me sick. This is a country that doesn't mind if a Democrat gets a blow job from an intern on the JFK desk in the oval office, but a Republican can't proposition his legally married wife for some kinky sex in another country(he also got turned down). The GOP should have had his back. Second, who the hell is Alan Keyes and why was he even considered. I know who Alan Keyes is but 6 out of 10 Republicans that I asked didn't.

This is a great man, but also a 4 time loser. Twice he lost his bid to the US Senate in his home state of Maryland and twice he lost his bid for the GOP nomination for President. Not counting the fact that Barack Obama was leading Jack Ryan by 8 points the day before Ryan resigned. I can think of 5 people right off the top of my head that would pull more votes in Illinois than Keyes. All five live right here in Illinois. Thanks for letting me vent.

P.S. Sorry I havn't been more faithful to the board, but I've been busy with a congressional campaign.

Forum List

Back