Key Democrat Says Lawmakers Should Strip 'Tens of Billions' From Stimulus

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
A key Democratic senator told FOX News on Monday that he wants to strip "tens of billions" of dollars from the economic stimulus proposal, rejecting the White House claim that senators are complaining about just a tiny fraction of the package.

Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson, who sits on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said Republicans and Democrats alike want to gut the nearly $900 billion program of items that he says will not stimulate job growth.

President Obama and his aides have downplayed disagreements over the package as it comes before the Senate for debate. Obama said Monday that "modest differences" should not stall the package, and Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said GOP objections center on about $700 million worth of items -- or "seven one-hundredths of one percent" of the total package.

Key Democrat Says Lawmakers Should Strip 'Tens of Billions' From Stimulus - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

A key Democratic senator told FOX News on Monday that he wants to strip "tens of billions" of dollars from the economic stimulus proposal, rejecting the White House claim that senators are complaining about just a tiny fraction of the package.

Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson, who sits on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said Republicans and Democrats alike want to gut the nearly $900 billion program of items that he says will not stimulate job growth.

President Obama and his aides have downplayed disagreements over the package as it comes before the Senate for debate. Obama said Monday that "modest differences" should not stall the package, and Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said GOP objections center on about $700 million worth of items -- or "seven one-hundredths of one percent" of the total package.

Key Democrat Says Lawmakers Should Strip 'Tens of Billions' From Stimulus - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

That would be a good start. Money for infrastructure and agreement with unions to hire non-union workers, laid off union workers for a reasonable, though not necessarily union wages would be a very good starting point. It would set an example that union workers, that are working, should be reasonable regarding possible accommodations to contracts to save jobs.

I'm ambivalent regarding the 'mortgage relief' money, not because I'm against people remaining in their homes, I just think the rewrites already made have failed miserably, so it's throwing good money after bad. Perhaps it's time to allow people to apply to remain in their homes, pay the taxes and interest, with the mortgage perhaps being rewritten later? Avoid foreclosures whenever possible and keep neighborhood property values as stable as possible.

However, banks/lending institutions that have accepted tax money for 'help' should automatically reduce all loan rates to 6%, if above that now, still well above prime. No rewrites, no applications, no points. Late payment fees would increase.

Any banks, which now seem to be all the 'major ones', should be required to drastically reduce credit card interest rates, regardless of credit rating, but be allowed to keep penalties for late payments. That would act as an infusion in cash for the debt weary, but cost the government $0. That would be a string most people would applaud. I wonder how fast people would be paying off their debts?

Those are a couple of my ideas that I've been thinking about lately, I be there's better ones you all have.

It's not true if you heard it on Faux News, dontcha know that? :tongue:

Forum List

Back