Key Concept for Spiritual Growth: Bondage To Sin/Who Do You Serve?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
I came across something earlier this week that I wanted to share. Hopefully it sheds some more light on not only Christianity, but the Character of Christ...

Countercultural icon Bob Dylan wailed, "You're gonna have to serve somebody. Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord, but you're gonna have to serve somebody." Dylan's sentiment is correct. While "no man can serve two masters," everyone serves one. Christian freedom must be understood within this context. There is no spiritual Switzerland--neutral territory inclined neither right nor left. We are on one side or the other in the great controversy. To choose not to choose is to make a choice, the wrong choice. Through His death on the cross, Christ has paved the way for all the world to have salvation, freedom, and victory in Him. Yet, we have to be careful. First, millions of freed slaves have willingly returned to slavery. Christ unlocked the penitentiary, shattering prison gates and destroying prison walls, but many prisoners remained there by choice. Second, others escaped shamed, fearfulness, and guilt. They serve God motivitatd by fear rather than love. They serve Jonathan Edwards' angry God: "The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one hold's a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked."--Clyde E. Fant, Jr., and William M. Pinson, Jr., 20 Centuries of Great Preaching (Waco, Texas: Word Books, 1971), vol. 3, p 63. Fortunately millions have also accepted the freedom purchased at the exorbitant price of Christ's life. Released from guilt, shame, haunting memories, addictions, and self-destructive behaviors, they enjoy the abundant life provided by their Creator.

As I read it earlier this week it struck me, this would be good to post. I'm not sure if this is the exact passage, but if it's not it's a good one nevertheless. I'll have another or two more to share hopefully before the weekend's over.

Be blessed!

I came across something earlier this week that I wanted to share. Hopefully it sheds some more light on not only Christianity, but the Character of Christ...

Countercultural icon Bob Dylan wailed, "You're gonna have to serve somebody. Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord, but you're gonna have to serve somebody." Dylan's sentiment is correct. While "no man can serve two masters," everyone serves one. Christian freedom must be understood within this context. There is no spiritual Switzerland--neutral territory inclined neither right nor left. We are on one side or the other in the great controversy. To choose not to choose is to make a choice, the wrong choice. Through His death on the cross, Christ has paved the way for all the world to have salvation, freedom, and victory in Him. Yet, we have to be careful. First, millions of freed slaves have willingly returned to slavery. Christ unlocked the penitentiary, shattering prison gates and destroying prison walls, but many prisoners remained there by choice. Second, others escaped shamed, fearfulness, and guilt. They serve God motivitatd by fear rather than love. They serve Jonathan Edwards' angry God: "The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one hold's a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked."--Clyde E. Fant, Jr., and William M. Pinson, Jr., 20 Centuries of Great Preaching (Waco, Texas: Word Books, 1971), vol. 3, p 63. Fortunately millions have also accepted the freedom purchased at the exorbitant price of Christ's life. Released from guilt, shame, haunting memories, addictions, and self-destructive behaviors, they enjoy the abundant life provided by their Creator.

As I read it earlier this week it struck me, this would be good to post. I'm not sure if this is the exact passage, but if it's not it's a good one nevertheless. I'll have another or two more to share hopefully before the weekend's over.

Be blessed!

No offense, but the point is confusing. It says Christ is great but we serve him only because we have to. It forgets the simple fact that faith in Christ is what will save us, not being forced to.

Be blessed!

That brings us back to God first in all things, Marc. Which is where we all begin. Think Conscience as being the conduit. :):):):):)

No offense, but the point is confusing. It says Christ is great but we serve him only because we have to. It forgets the simple fact that faith in Christ is what will save us, not being forced to.

Where is that point made? The point that we are forced to serve Christ that is.

Remember too, that Christ did Not come to Condemn. According to Him, we All fall short, and are already Condemned. He didn't come to rub salt in the wounds, but to Heal, and bring Salvation. I would suggest that one of the things He might want Us to do is stop throwing stones. He wanted Us to start turning Our Lives Around, helping Each other along the way. Just a thought.

Remember too, that Christ did Not come to Condemn. According to Him, we All fall short, and are already Condemned. He didn't come to rub salt in the wounds, but to Heal, and bring Salvation. I would suggest that one of the things He might want Us to do is stop throwing stones. He wanted Us to start turning Our Lives Around, helping Each other along the way. Just a thought.

I believe that's the salient point in your statement. Otherwise known as repentance, a turning away from sin. Sin = disobedience to God.

:thup:

I choose to love.

And the One I love does not demand that I "serve" Her.

I choose to love.

And the One I love does not demand that I "serve" Her.

John 3:16 said:
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not die, but have everlasting life.

God IS love my friend.

I tend to believe that instructions to serve are more of a roadmap to aid in shedding our egos, than actual instructions to serve people literally. In religion, not only Christianity, but other major religions, it is of paramount importance to stop identifying so strongly with human will and ego, and be subservient to the will of God, or in other words, have faith. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think much of Biblical and other religious text is written to teach attitudes more than commandments.

I tend to believe that instructions to serve are more of a roadmap to aid in shedding our egos, than actual instructions to serve people literally. In religion, not only Christianity, but other major religions, it is of paramount importance to stop identifying so strongly with human will and ego, and be subservient to the will of God, or in other words, have faith. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think much of Biblical and other religious text is written to teach attitudes more than commandments.

It's both. Both in the sense that the commandments are not just for following the commandment sake, but also for fostering an attitude of love, gratitude, appreciation, worship and holiness for our Creator. I'm referring to Biblically though, I can't nor won't vouch for anything else.

Marc,

I love this quote from your signature, and it appears relevant:

Let's face it -- when our "Christianity" makes us unloving we obviously don't have the real thing, even if we are correct on all the doctrines. But when we realize that Christ, through the grace of God, has truly rescued us from the pit on sin, our response will be love. A lack of it indicates that we have yet to be rescued ourselves.
- George R. Knight

Be blessed!

Republicans serve the oil companies and people they think are the "Job Creators" (play heavenly music here).

Where is that point made? The point that we are forced to serve Christ that is.

Look, I'm an agnostic. I don't believe in Jesus.

That said, isn't it kind of hypocritical for you to be talking about Christ? You, being one of the more hate-filled people in the forum, and all?

If you haven't noticed, I don't MIX religion and politics, certainly not when I'm posting in the Religious forum.

With that said, your OPINION is noted. I have no control over that. Now when you're ready to proceed with the topic at hand, we can.

It's up to you.

If you haven't noticed, I don't MIX religion and politics, certainly not when I'm posting in the Religious forum.

I hadn't, but I don't spend much time in the religion forum.

Still, isn't the "Christ like" life supposed to cross into all areas, not be compartmentalized for use on Sunday?

With that said, your OPINION is noted. I have no control over that. Now when you're ready to proceed with the topic at hand, we can.

It's up to you.

I'm legitimately asking about the topic at hand. I believe you to be sincere, or I wouldn't have bothered. It is the sincerity that lead to the question, as it so starkly contrasts with your persona in the political parts of the forum.

Forum List

Back