Kerry's Big Plan to Lower Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zhukov, May 22, 2004.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have c-span on in the room, and Kerry with his weekly radio address is droning on in the background. Here's what he said he would do about oil prices. (this is from memory, it may not be exact)

"We should go to OPEC and demand they increase production"

That's it. That was his plan.

God help us should this imbecile be elected.

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    And if we "demand" and they don't follow?

All the folks that say, "we should do 'this or that' or we will...." forget.... what if the Arabs say back to us, "fine, fuck off and live without our oil". Then what will we do?

Yesterday Hannity was talking to Arriana Huffandpuff and he said something about, "if the dems would let us drill in Anwar" and Arriana replied, "even if we start, it will take a decade to get the oil from there..." more the reason to start now. Sure, the Arabs want our money, but if the EU has their way and we have to start paying for oil in Euros, the Arabs could give a fuck less about our money. There are plenty of other countries that will buy their oil; the Chinese, Japanese, and Europeans are a start. Some folks need to be careful of what they want to "demand" as like I said, they might just tell us to "fuck off".

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,219
    Interesting, isnt one of the platforms for his campaign that American cant go demand the world do things our way?

4. The Worried One

The Worried One Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you do? Blow up the countries in OPEC?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    We can't demand anything from any country but our own. Kerry knows this, he's just hoping that the people don't 'get it.' His followers will follow his lead.

What we can do is demand that Congress, from both parties pass an energy bill that funds research and in the meantime develop our own known sources of energy. As it is, there is only a trickle coming from the Alaskan pipeline from already tapped sources. Time to open the spigot.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The poor man is so desperate for an issue that will get him some support. If he didn't have the media behind him he would be a big fat Zero. This is what the dems deserve for thier "Anyone but Bush" mantra. Some of them must realize how pathetic of a stance that is.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I just heard some talking head on FOX say that Bush is picking up on Kerry's plans and presenting them as his own..... how insane these people are! lol

It is just the opposite!

oh my God, please come soon! These nuts are driving me crzy!

8. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
  9. JIHADTHIS

JIHADTHIS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Specific?

The SPR is a one shot deal. If the US government draws it down to temporarily add supply then what?
    SPR info here: http://pzl1.ed.ornl.gov/Sprpage.htm

Saudi Arabia has already announced its intentions to increase production, and is working on convincing other members of the cartel to do the same. That's diplomacy, no?

The capitalist economy at work. If Americans were so up in arms as you claim, they would stop buying SUV's. All of your major auto makers build little rice rockets in addition to full size "gas guzzlers" I guess if no one was buying SUV's they'd stop building them.

As a side note: The hypocrisy on this issue from Kerry is laughable. He owns 5 mansions (all need heat), flies around in a Gulfstream lear jet and owns a million dollar yacht. All of these vehicles are fuel efficient:rolleyes:

A bunch of non specific rhetorical bullshit at best. Do a search on people using used vegetable oil to fuel their cars. Known as bio diesel, there is a handful of people using it. That's a real "strong foothold".

Ding Ding, try again.

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Kerry's four part plan is really not specific.
    1. His SPR plan does have one good point: we should not be buying oil for the SPR right now, with oil prices as high as they are. We should buy lots of oil in the fall/winter months, when prices are lower. I don't think this would have a huge effect on the supply nationwide, but it would save some taxpayer money. However, that oil isn't there to keep prices low; it's there to keep oil available for the military, should other supplies go dry.

2. Standing up to OPEC. How? Through what forum? If I ran the world, OPEC would be dissolved. Is that Kerry's intention? Or is he just going to give a speech and say, "Well, I tried to stand up to OPEC"?

3. Fuel efficiency. Kerry and his ultra-liberal cronies want to raise the fuel efficiency for all cars to 30 mpg. That would essentially outlaw SUVs and pickups. Heck, it would outlaw my Kia Sephia, which gets 25 in the city and 30-32 on the highway. It's just a high number that most automakers would be unable to sell anything they currently make, minus hybrids and roller skates.

4. Renewable energy. I'm all for it. But I'm not buying a car that runs on renewables until it has the speed and acceleration abilities of an internal combustion engine car - and neither will 90% of Americans. And if we want to get rid of oil-burning power plants, I'm all for it. Let's replace them with nuclear power plants: they don't pollute at all, they are regulated so tightly that they are safer than other power plants, and we now have a national nuclear waste disposal. Alternately, we can build those windmills off of Massachu -- oh, wait, Kerry has already opposed wind energy in Massachusets because it would lower his property values. I guess we see where his real priorities lie.