Kerry's Big Plan to Lower Gas Prices

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
I have c-span on in the room, and Kerry with his weekly radio address is droning on in the background. Here's what he said he would do about oil prices. (this is from memory, it may not be exact)

"We should go to OPEC and demand they increase production"

That's it. That was his plan.

God help us should this imbecile be elected.

Originally posted by Zhukov
I have c-span on in the room, and Kerry with his weekly radio address is droning on in the background. Here's what he said he would do about oil prices. (this is from memory, it may not be exact)

"We should go to OPEC and demand they increase production"

That's it. That was his plan.

God help us should this imbecile be elected.
And if we "demand" and they don't follow?

All the folks that say, "we should do 'this or that' or we will...." forget.... what if the Arabs say back to us, "fine, fuck off and live without our oil". Then what will we do?

Yesterday Hannity was talking to Arriana Huffandpuff and he said something about, "if the dems would let us drill in Anwar" and Arriana replied, "even if we start, it will take a decade to get the oil from there..." more the reason to start now. Sure, the Arabs want our money, but if the EU has their way and we have to start paying for oil in Euros, the Arabs could give a fuck less about our money. There are plenty of other countries that will buy their oil; the Chinese, Japanese, and Europeans are a start. Some folks need to be careful of what they want to "demand" as like I said, they might just tell us to "fuck off".

Interesting, isnt one of the platforms for his campaign that American cant go demand the world do things our way?

We can't demand anything from any country but our own. Kerry knows this, he's just hoping that the people don't 'get it.' His followers will follow his lead.

What we can do is demand that Congress, from both parties pass an energy bill that funds research and in the meantime develop our own known sources of energy. As it is, there is only a trickle coming from the Alaskan pipeline from already tapped sources. Time to open the spigot.

The poor man is so desperate for an issue that will get him some support. If he didn't have the media behind him he would be a big fat Zero. This is what the dems deserve for thier "Anyone but Bush" mantra. Some of them must realize how pathetic of a stance that is.

I just heard some talking head on FOX say that Bush is picking up on Kerry's plans and presenting them as his own..... how insane these people are! lol

It is just the opposite!

oh my God, please come soon! These nuts are driving me crzy!

Originally posted by acludem Read the whole plan here - it's very specific:

http://www.johnkerry.com/features/gasprices/Gas_Report.html

acludem

Specific?

John Kerry's Plan To Lower Gas Prices, Improve Efficiency, And Create Energy Independence:

Manage the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to Protect our Security without Driving Up Prices.
The U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve is the largest stockpile of government-owned emergency crude oil in the world. Established in the aftermath of the 1973-74 oil embargo, the SPR provides the President with a powerful response option should a disruption in commercial oil supplies threaten the U.S. economy. It also allows the United States to meet part of its obligation to maintain emergency oil stocks, and provides a national defense fuel reserve. Unfortunately, the Bush Administration has put the SPR fill program on automatic pilot without regard to the short-term effect on the US market. The program needs better management – diverting oil from the market to fill the Strategic Petroleum Reserve at a time of exceptional tightness in oil markets as Bush has done, and continues to do, does not make sense today. Kerry would temporarily suspend filling SPR until oil prices return to normal levels.

The SPR is a one shot deal. If the US government draws it down to temporarily add supply then what?
SPR info here: http://pzl1.ed.ornl.gov/Sprpage.htm

Use a Renewed American Position in the World to Stand Up to OPEC Candidate Bush Promised to Arm-Twist OPEC. On February 10, 2004, OPEC announced an agreement to cut its output quotas by 1 million barrels per day, starting in March. By March 17, crude oil prices in New York reached a 13-year high of $38.18 per barrel. George Bush's silence on OPEC decisions has sent the signal that prices are not a concern. [Source: “Oil prices rise to 13-year high, threaten economy,” Washington Times , March 18, 2004] A Kerry Administration would act immediately to exert pressure on OPEC to increase oil supplies. As President, John Kerry will engage in diplomacy to ensure that US consumers are not held hostage to price fixing by OPEC. During the last year of the Clinton Administration, effective diplomatic pressure resulted in OPEC responding proactively to reduce prices [Source: “A Long Expensive Winter,” Global News Wire, 2/27/00] .

Saudi Arabia has already announced its intentions to increase production, and is working on convincing other members of the cartel to do the same. That's diplomacy, no?

Setting Goals to Increase Fuel Efficiency and New Investments to Assure American Industry Leads the Way. John Kerry believes that all Americans should drive the cars, SUVs, minivans and trucks of their choice, but that these vehicles can be more efficient, cheaper to operate, safer and more affordable. John Kerry believes that we need a realistic fuel economy standard, coupled with tax incentives for consumers to buy the vehicles they want and incentives for manufacturers to convert factories to build the more efficient vehicles of the future. It will enhance national security, strengthen the American auto industry, and protect and create jobs.

The capitalist economy at work. If Americans were so up in arms as you claim, they would stop buying SUV's. All of your major auto makers build little rice rockets in addition to full size "gas guzzlers" I guess if no one was buying SUV's they'd stop building them.

As a side note: The hypocrisy on this issue from Kerry is laughable. He owns 5 mansions (all need heat), flies around in a Gulfstream lear jet and owns a million dollar yacht. All of these vehicles are fuel efficient:rolleyes:

Increasing Renewable Fuels in America's Gasoline Now: 5 Billion Gallons in the Next Decade. John Kerry believes that renewable fuels, produced in America, can reduce our oil dependence. Renewable fuel produced from corn and other sources – such as agricultural, forest and food wastes – has a strong foothold in the market and great potential. John Kerry supports a national standard that will ensure that at least 5 billion gallons of renewable fuel is part of America's energy supply by 2012. A strong renewable fuels standard will reduce our oil dependence, improve the quality of our environment, and strengthen the economy of rural America.

A bunch of non specific rhetorical bullshit at best. Do a search on people using used vegetable oil to fuel their cars. Known as bio diesel, there is a handful of people using it. That's a real "strong foothold".

Ding Ding, try again.

Kerry's four part plan is really not specific.
1. His SPR plan does have one good point: we should not be buying oil for the SPR right now, with oil prices as high as they are. We should buy lots of oil in the fall/winter months, when prices are lower. I don't think this would have a huge effect on the supply nationwide, but it would save some taxpayer money. However, that oil isn't there to keep prices low; it's there to keep oil available for the military, should other supplies go dry.

2. Standing up to OPEC. How? Through what forum? If I ran the world, OPEC would be dissolved. Is that Kerry's intention? Or is he just going to give a speech and say, "Well, I tried to stand up to OPEC"?

3. Fuel efficiency. Kerry and his ultra-liberal cronies want to raise the fuel efficiency for all cars to 30 mpg. That would essentially outlaw SUVs and pickups. Heck, it would outlaw my Kia Sephia, which gets 25 in the city and 30-32 on the highway. It's just a high number that most automakers would be unable to sell anything they currently make, minus hybrids and roller skates.

4. Renewable energy. I'm all for it. But I'm not buying a car that runs on renewables until it has the speed and acceleration abilities of an internal combustion engine car - and neither will 90% of Americans. And if we want to get rid of oil-burning power plants, I'm all for it. Let's replace them with nuclear power plants: they don't pollute at all, they are regulated so tightly that they are safer than other power plants, and we now have a national nuclear waste disposal. Alternately, we can build those windmills off of Massachu -- oh, wait, Kerry has already opposed wind energy in Massachusets because it would lower his property values. I guess we see where his real priorities lie.

This article also has some more information about Kerry and gas prices.

The Kerry jawboning critique isn't even consistent. When Bob Woodward's new book, "Plan of Attack," was released, Kerry jumped on a paragraph in which Saudi diplomat Prince Bandar loosely talked of lowering prices to keep the U.S. economy roaring during an election year. Kerry immediately criticized what he said was "a secret deal" between Bush and the Saudis. Never mind that Woodward reported no such secret deal. But what if there were a secret deal? Wouldn't this be exactly the sort of jawboning Kerry calls for now?
I see. So something is said in some book (something which is similar to something that he has also wanted Bush to do at another time, which is, of course, nothing new for Kerry) and he criticizes it as a secret deal? Just what the hell does he want then?

This is nothing compared with the demand surge in China, where demand has increased by 1.2 million barrels a day during the same period. Perhaps Kerry will begin attacking Chinese President Hu Jintao next.
No. We all know there is no way that could be a factor.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Kerry's surrogates have been calling on Bush to tap the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the several hundred million barrels the United States keeps on hand in case of a catastrophic disruption in oil supply. In the past, Kerry has opposed trying to use the reserve to tamp down gas prices on the margins, but that was before his new iteration as a pretend economic ignoramus.
Flip. Flop. Flip. Flop.

The candidate can't be bothered with something as boring as world market forces when there are demagogic points to be scored. "Those aren't Exxon prices we see, ladies and gentlemen," Kerry tells audiences. "Those are Halliburton prices." Halliburton, of course, is the all-purpose Democratic bogeyman. It has about as much to do with the spiking gas prices as Walt Disney Co.
That's true. They like to use mention Halliburton every chance they get, as if they are responsible for everything.

Kerry's plan is specific and will work. Bush's plan is to continue kowtowing to his big oil friends. And yes, it is relevent to mention that our Vice President used to be the head of a company that has received most of the big contracts in Iraq, has consistently been given favorable and favored treatment by this administration, and continues to pump money into Dick Cheney's pockets and the Bush/Cheney campaign.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Kerry's plan is specific and will work.

Still wondering what you are reading between the lines that makes you think his plan is specific. I guess because Kerry says it, it is so. So much for free thinking.

Bush's plan is to continue kowtowing to his big oil friends.

The standard BS line when you have no valid arguement.

And yes, it is relevent to mention that our Vice President used to be the head of a company that has received most of the big contracts in Iraq, has consistently been given favorable and favored treatment by this administration, and continues to pump money into Dick Cheney's pockets and the Bush/Cheney campaign.

acludem

That evil Halliburton is at it again! Do you know of an alternative company that can or will do the same work they are doing now?
I'll answer for you: no.

Kerry's plan is specific and will work. Bush's plan is to continue kowtowing to his big oil friends. And yes, it is relevent to mention that our Vice President used to be the head of a company that has received most of the big contracts in Iraq, has consistently been given favorable and favored treatment by this administration, and continues to pump money into Dick Cheney's pockets and the Bush/Cheney campaign.

acludem

From your link there are four essential changes... can you honestly argue these will help? I have serious doubts.

John Kerry's Plan To Lower Gas Prices, Improve Efficiency, And Create Energy Independence:

Manage the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to Protect our Security without Driving Up Prices. The U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve is the largest stockpile of government-owned emergency crude oil in the world. Established in the aftermath of the 1973-74 oil embargo, the SPR provides the President with a powerful response option should a disruption in commercial oil supplies threaten the U.S. economy. It also allows the United States to meet part of its obligation to maintain emergency oil stocks, and provides a national defense fuel reserve. Unfortunately, the Bush Administration has put the SPR fill program on automatic pilot without regard to the short-term effect on the US market. The program needs better management – diverting oil from the market to fill the Strategic Petroleum Reserve at a time of exceptional tightness in oil markets as Bush has done, and continues to do, does not make sense today. Kerry would temporarily suspend filling SPR until oil prices return to normal levels.

http://fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/spr/spr-facts.shtml

The SPR is almost topped off, with 660 billion barrels of a total capacity of 700, and is now at a record high level.

The average price paid at $27.14 is still well below today’s record high of $40+/per barrel.

Many industry analysts say there is absolutely no guarantee oil prices will ever stop rising, and many say the world may never see oil dip below $30 a barrel again.

NOW is the time to fill our SPR, not just for fiscal reasons but for national security, given the unprecedented uncertainty over the Middle East. The SPR was never designed to be used to conduct market wagers on world prices of oil.

Kerry's entire strategy for oil price management depends upon gambling our strategic reserve against the market. Which, when you consider the the market itself already buys/sells oil based on future contracts, is a really foolish thing to risk.

What he's claiming is the government can play the oil market better than the exchange market experts. The entire plan depends upon prices dropping below the current high.

Imagine Kerry dumps the SPR on the market next year, taps it out, and prices rise to $90/barrel. Not only would repurchase of the reserve be three times as expensive, but we are fucked out of a reserve once any disruption occurs (and if prices continue to rise, this is assured).

Basically, this a CRAZY IDEA.

Use a Renewed American Position in the World to Stand Up to OPEC Candidate Bush Promised to Arm-Twist OPEC.

Total fantasy.

The election of Kerry over Bush will signal to the Islamic world a clear lack of resolve of the American people to pursue any aggressive policy for stability or reform in the Middle East, and with a virtually assured U.S. pullout from the region anti-Western forces will scoff at the “arm twisting” in the same way we might scoff at French diplomacy today.

Oil prices will skyrocket as the world worries over an uncertain future and lack of stability in the region.

On February 10, 2004, OPEC announced an agreement to cut its output quotas by 1 million barrels per day, starting in March. By March 17, crude oil prices in New York reached a 13-year high of $38.18 per barrel. George Bush's silence on OPEC decisions has sent the signal that prices are not a concern. [Source: “Oil prices rise to 13-year high, threaten economy,” Washington Times , March 18, 2004] A Kerry Administration would act immediately to exert pressure on OPEC to increase oil supplies. As President, John Kerry will engage in diplomacy to ensure that US consumers are not held hostage to price fixing by OPEC. During the last year of the Clinton Administration, effective diplomatic pressure resulted in OPEC responding proactively to reduce prices [Source: “A Long Expensive Winter,” Global News Wire, 2/27/00] .

Major YAWN. I’m really not impressed with this diplomacy track. "Immediately exert pressure", in the process of arranging a withdrawal from Iraq?

The Bush approach is to "walk softly and carry a big stick", while Kerry's is to whine about prices while running away from Iraq. Yes, he will pull our troops out, for good or worse.

Setting Goals to Increase Fuel Efficiency and New Investments to Assure American Industry Leads the Way. John Kerry believes that all Americans should drive the cars, SUVs, minivans and trucks of their choice, but that these vehicles can be more efficient, cheaper to operate, safer and more affordable. John Kerry believes that we need a realistic fuel economy standard, coupled with tax incentives for consumers to buy the vehicles they want and incentives for manufacturers to convert factories to build the more efficient vehicles of the future. It will enhance national security, strengthen the American auto industry, and protect and create jobs.

Nothing Bush has not already sponsored in his first term.

I can’t say I actually disagree with tax incentives for fuel economy, besides the fact that the market for fuel economy on new cars eventually adjusts without government prodding anyway.

But it’s obvious the need for storage is secondary to the umbrella of safety and control a large, high chassis lends to our American soccer moms on the road, while from the seat of a compact (Toyota MR2), I feel like roadkill these days.

At some point perhaps I’d even support a licensing of heavy vehicles for legitimate cargo needs only.

All this offroad marketing behind these gas guzzlers, is the most useless thing of all.

Can you even go off-road in America today and not be either trespassing or violating a park law? Where?

And don’t get me started on Hummers!
Or the private jet Kerry uses!!!

If you ask me all anyone needs for commuting to work is a small compact.

A sedan or station wagon for families is totally sufficient.

Again, though, if someone really needs it, or wants to lease it, they can drive a big car. I'm all for freedom of choice.

Increasing Renewable Fuels in America's Gasoline Now: 5 Billion Gallons in the Next Decade. John Kerry believes that renewable fuels, produced in America, can reduce our oil dependence. Renewable fuel produced from corn and other sources – such as agricultural, forest and food wastes – has a strong foothold in the market and great potential. John Kerry supports a national standard that will ensure that at least 5 billion gallons of renewable fuel is part of America's energy supply by 2012. A strong renewable fuels standard will reduce our oil dependence, improve the quality of our environment, and strengthen the economy of rural America.

Haha, 2012 is a convenient target to make good a promise, given it's the end of Kerry’s second term and we'll hate him passionately by then anyway. If Kerry wins, Hillary never will.

But does the idea of producing fuel from waste seem like a concept that could be wildly profitable, if it actually worked effectiently? If the technology exists, or could exist, to make this actually cheaper than importing oil, why hasn't the market already developed it? When does new technology require government funding?

Such investment is actually in the works, but it's still a pipe dream reported on only recently in the news.

Nobody has actually developed a process of manufacturing this in quantity, nor has it proven that it can be supplied more cheaply than oil, let alone any other energy source.

So when democrats hinge their solution upon some huge investment into a pipe dream never proven to work, I get chills.

The idea just sounds sexy to Dems because it's a double whammy, a solution to oil dependence AND a glorified recycling project. But totally unproven, even after perhaps billions in private investment already.

The entire plan, again...

1. Draw down the SPR and hope we don't actually need it for it's real purpose, for disruption in supply. Play the market and pray the prices drop eventually.

2. Get all cocky about how being elected has changed the world's willingness to ally with American interest. Believe that OPEC actually gives a shit about Kerry's new mad diplomatic skillz at the UN.

Be chill about Iraq and tell the oil rich countries and their oil company buddies that Kerry is not going to put up with their hijinks like Bush did.

Tell 'em they better give you some cheap oil or else... or else... the UN is going to put the hammer down on their production quotas. The HAMMER!

3. Get the industry to make a bunch of little cars because the expectation is that oil prices WILL increase and people will actually be buying them. Which means the plan to draw down the SPR is totally screwed.

4. Put a billions of government money into investment of oil extraction from waste, even while every other form of power is cheaper to utilize.

Pray like hell eventually the technology developes to become profitable, over and beyond the tax dollars already invested into it. Also assume that the right kind of waste is always refilled.

Honestly, none of us can claim either candidates policy for economic security is guaranteed to work. I understand the vision behind the Bush Administrations' policy in the middle east and understand clearly the cost of it's failure.

While Kerry could offer a moderate plan with less risk of a true failure of Middle East oil stablity, none of what he's offering make sense. #1 relies upon a decrease in oil prices, while #3 and #4 rely upon it's increase to succeed. #2 is irrationally arrogent.

My recommendations.

#1 Resolve Iraq no matter how long it takes. We'll always be able to secure the oil heads, if all else fails.

#2 Drill the Artic. The Caribou won't suffer... even if they did, screw 'em.

#3 Invest in oil extraction technology from the shoals of Eastern Canada. Filtering rock from oil is proven science. Give our money to Canada, they are great neighbors and can finally catch up with the U.S.

#4 License vehicles over a weight limit. Make it so yoiu can rent or lease SUV's and Humvees if you really want to drive them for a while

#5 Expand the SPR, the salt mines are 680/700 full. Retired nuclear silos are a good place for starters.

#6 Stop taxing energy entirely. Let the market bear the true cost and find and invest in it's own alternatives. Oil taxation will no longer be a government revenue source, leading to less pressure to pursue oil-driven politics.

#7 Issue new licenses for private nuclear power plants. Zone them out into remote areas, and regulate them closely. Nuclear power will be the cheapest source, very soon. It is also proven technology.

Those changes sound good to me... thoughts?

acludem

Cheney owns stock as do millions of others in Haliburton. Its a multinational corporation that has been around for over 100 years. It has been run by both Repbulicans and Democrats at any given time in History. Cheney hasnt been the CEO for nearly a decade.

Bottomline is that people need to get over Haliburton. In a capitalist economy, the best company wins the best jobs. Haliburton is the ONLY company that can handle the rebuilding of a nation.

Kerry's plan is specific and will work.

Five detailed posts to the contrary, and all you can say is 'Nuh-uh?' :rolleyes:

Bush's plan is to continue kowtowing to his big oil friends. And yes, it is relevent to mention that our Vice President used to be the head of a company that has received most of the big contracts in Iraq, has consistently been given favorable and favored treatment by this administration, and continues to pump money into Dick Cheney's pockets and the Bush/Cheney campaign.

1. Halliburton is one of a handful of companies int eh world that can do the jobs that are required in Iraq. They have been in the defense contracting business for years and years - long before Bush was elected, and will continue to be in the business after this administration leaves in 2009.

2. Cheney receives a pension from Halliburton. This pension is not based on the performance of the company, its stock price, it defense contracts, etc. The pension terms were laid out before the election. There is nothing ethically wrong with it.

No, Cheney receives a pension but is also a MAJOR stockholder in this company. His stock value IS determined by the company's performance hence the special treatment Halliburton has received even as the cheated the American people out of millions.

As for the Kerry plan - read it - it's specific and detailed.

acludem

New Topics

Forum List

Back