Kerry's 4 months! military service

ScreamingEagle said:
Thanks for the info Gaffer! That was 120 days just on the Swift boat. It appears he also spent a year off the coast of Vietnam on a carrier. But when he quit the war after the 4 month Swift boat stint and then got into politics there seems to be some question as to his military status and even if he served his remaining time per military regulations. Looks like he ducked the actual service he signed up for.

If a guy signed up in the Navy for 6 years, served some of it actively, then went on active or inactive reserve status, would he have to put in more than 6 years?

No. Officers are classified as two types. Reserve or active. Few academy graduates are given active duty status. However, they still have a minimum six year commitment on active duty since their Academy expenses are picked up by the Government. Believe it or not, some officers that do graduate from one of the academies are still denied active service and they must then complete their commitment in the reserves. Apparently, Kerry used his "three" purple hearts to get out of him commitment. It was all "above board" based on the rules and regulations, but it didn't show much in way of honor and loyalty in my book.

Having been there and done that, I can tell you with some certainty that what Kerry did was not all that unusual. We used to call it a "ticket punch". Officers in particular were more likely to get promoted if they could show a combat tour on their records and if they happened to get decorated for actions during their tour, then so much the better. I was not in the Navy, but I know in the Army we would see that sort of thing going on all the time.

I saw many, many of my buddies receive multiple Purple Hearts for wounds. Everyone of them was hospitalized for extended periods (or dead). I do not know of anyone (personally that is) that received the Purple heart for a splinter, much less 3 of them.

CSM said:
Having been there and done that, I can tell you with some certainty that what Kerry did was not all that unusual. We used to call it a "ticket punch". Officers in particular were more likely to get promoted if they could show a combat tour on their records and if they happened to get decorated for actions during their tour, then so much the better. I was not in the Navy, but I know in the Army we would see that sort of thing going on all the time.

I saw many, many of my buddies receive multiple Purple Hearts for wounds. Everyone of them was hospitalized for extended periods (or dead). I do not know of anyone (personally that is) that received the Purple heart for a splinter, much less 3 of them.

Yes, but even "ticket" punching officers usually complete their tours. See, I would not consider Kerry a "ticket" puncher as he HAD NO PLANS of making the military a career. But I guess running for CIC could be considered making the military a "career". lol

Given Kerry's family history, I dont know why anyone could be surprised at the path he chose. I am not saying anything critical here at all, just that politics would be anatural course for him.

CSM said:
Given Kerry's family history, I dont know why anyone could be surprised at the path he chose. I am not saying anything critical here at all, just that politics would be anatural course for him.

his family even flip-flopped on their religion. :terror:

Forum List

Back