Kerry's 4 months! military service

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScreamingEagle, Aug 4, 2004.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    I know the subject of Kerry's military service has been discussed ad nauseum but since Kerry is making it the centerpiece of his campaign I would like to address specifically the LENGTH of his term of service.

4 months (120 days) seems like a really, really, really, really short term of service! Just how many of those 120 days did he actually spend in Vietnam?

Were there a lot of other servicemen who got out in such a short time?
    If not, why not?

Didn't most Vietnam volunteers have to serve at least 2 YEARS in the Army? Wasn't the Navy for 3 YEARS? Maybe somebody can confirm this.

I can see how a guy would leave after 4 months if they were severely injured - heck, even a broken arm - but Kerry's injuries were inconsequential. Does anybody think his injuries warranted his leaving the service after only 4 months?

Did many other servicemen use the "fine print" about Purple Hearts like Kerry did and leave the war in such a short time?

And do you think 4 months makes him a "real" experienced veteran?

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    First off, since Kerry went to the Naval Academy, he had a six-year minimum commitment. I am not sure, but he may have only been a "reserve" officer, which means he WAS NOT selected for the possibility of being a "career" officer. Therefore, once he was finished with his tours in Vietnam, his only requirement was that he continue to serve as a "reserve" officer for the remaining time on his "commitment". I am not sure if the "three purple hearts rule" let him even forgo that commitment, but it is possible. Perhaps somebody more knowledgable than me on that point can answer it.

Secondly, I must be fair even though I don't want to be. From what I understand, he served 1 year on a carrier off the coast of Vietnam before he volunteered (as part of his overall scheme to eventually run for office one day I am sure) for the swift-boat duty.

Kerry used a little used (by Academy officers especially) rule about "injuries" to get out of the combat zone early. NONE of his injuries required even an overnight stay in the hospital and two of the three didn't even require a single stitch. The guy is a loser and no, his 16 months as an active duty officer does not give him any special advantage in the category of "military experience" but his Naval Academy attendance should help him some, but since he obviously did not care for the teachings of the academy, I am not even sure why he attended.

3. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Thanks Free for making clear that his total service time was 16 months. My respect for Kerry just went up a notch. Duty on a carrier outside Vietnam was no picnic I am sure.

Still, getting out in 16 months (if he was committed for 6 years) means he only served 22% of his committment. It still appears that he was avoiding duty.

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I totally agree.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Oh Free! The Avatar! :clap: :clap: :dev1:

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Thanks to you! I got that from the John Kerry Sucks link on the "waffle" site.

:thewave:

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  8. LoneVoice

LoneVoice Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you really trying to formulate negative opinions of his tour of duty, without having any real facts? That wouldn't be a wise method of formulating opinions.

Isn't the real question that you're going for, which candidate John Kerry or George Bush served more admirably in the military?

Before answering that question, you'd really have to have the facts, in order to formulate a true decision.

Really and truly, as far as the whole issue goes, does it really make a difference either way? Will you change your opinion on who you're voting for in this year's election based on either of their military service?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Kerry has chosen to make his service the centerpiece of his campaign. He gave a longer than normal acceptance speech, skipping over 20+ years since he left VIETNAM!

10. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    There seem to be many people who question the "admirable-ness" of Kerry's service.

Why is it he would leave the Swift boat after only 4 months and he wasn't really injured?

There are even some people who would go so far as to suggest he was AWOL.
    http://www.crushkerry.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=124

It's a fact that there are many servicemen who do not find Kerry to be "admirable" and think him unfit to command.
    http://www.swiftvets.com/
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/5/4/132751.shtml