Kerry to Accept

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Big of him:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20040526/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_convention

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer

WASHINGTON - Bowing to pressure, John Kerry (news - web sites) decided Wednesday to accept the nomination at the Democratic presidential convention in July, scuttling a plan to delay the formality so he could narrow President Bush (news - web sites)'s public money advantage.

He turned quickly to his backup plan, issuing a statement with a blunt appeal for campaign donations.

"Boston is the place where America's freedom began, and it's where I want the journey to the Democratic nomination to be completed," Kerry said in a statement released by his campaign. "On Thursday, July 29, with great pride, I will accept my party's nomination for president in the city of Boston. From there we will begin our journey to a new America."

The statement ended six days of controversy over an idea that was supposed to remain a secret for several more weeks.

Some Kerry advisers had wanted him to forgo the nomination at the convention in late July and wait five weeks until Bush accepts the Republican nod. That would give both candidates the same time to spend $75 million in public money set aside for the general election.

But The Associated Press reported the plan before Kerry had decided whether to adopt it, causing an uproar in his home town of Boston — site of the July 26-29 convention — and among Democrats who feared that voters would view the tactic as too political.

"I just want to get on with it. It's just a distraction," Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told CNN shortly before the decision was announced.

Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., who had lobbied to bring the convention to Boston long before Kerry wrapped up the nomination, is "obviously pleased the matter is settled," said spokesman David Smith.

Republicans mocked Kerry, saying only the Democratic candidate could be both in favor of the nomination and against it. "I would never try to play the people of New York for chumps like he's trying to play the people of Boston," Republican Party chairman Ed Gillespie said, referring to the GOP gathering in New York City in late August.

Kerry's statement noted his fund-raising success and urged supporters to "accept the challenge" against Bush. "I intend to rely on the grass-roots army which has already brought us so far beyond anyone's expectations," Kerry said. The statement included a link to his campaign Web site, where donations can be made.

He promised to explore ways to level the playing field as he faces Bush's five-week advantage. Kerry officials said the most likely approach is having the candidate raise money for the Democratic National Committee (news - web sites) and state parties, and give his excess cash to the DNC at convention time.

State and national parties could air ads against Bush during the five-week period. However, the Kerry campaign would have little or no control over those commercials under federal law.

Had the deliberations remained a secret and Kerry had approved of the plan, he may not have announced it until shortly before the convention — or even during it, several party officials said.

The plan raised numerous political and legal questions, such as would Kerry lose federal funding for the convention; could his running mate be nominated, but not Kerry; and would television networks and other media reduce their coverage. His decision rendered those questions moot.

Originally posted by insein
What a dumbass for even considering it. John Kerry is the only person to be nominated for President but be against the nomination. :rolleyes:

Well, his war chest isn't as big as Dubya's...
But the 75 million in tax dollars ought to help.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Well, his war chest isn't as big as Dubya's...
But the 75 million in tax dollars ought to help.

Yea beautiful. Besides Kerry has untapped Ketchup money from Theresea and George Sauros pledging to give him millions. So i don't see where the problem is on campaign funding. He was just trying to do and old "The rules are for you but not for me routine". Kerry seems to be very arrogant man. I can't wait for the debates so he gets annhilated by Bush.

Suddenly, John Kerry realized that the nomination convention was just that, a nomination convention, and the millions of tax payer's dollars used to have it might be considered stolen if they didn't bother to nominate anyone.

"Shoot!" he exclaimed, "We'll have to think of something else."

Kerry to Accept Nomination at Convention

WASHINGTON - Bowing to pressure, John Kerry decided Wednesday to accept the nomination at the Democratic presidential convention in July, scuttling a plan to delay the formality so he could narrow President Bush's public money advantage.

He turned quickly to his backup plan, issuing a statement with a blunt appeal for campaign donations that could go to national and state party organizations.

"Boston is the place where America's freedom began, and it's where I want the journey to the Democratic nomination to be completed," Kerry said in a statement released by his campaign. "On Thursday, July 29, with great pride, I will accept my party's nomination for president in the city of Boston. From there we will begin our journey to a new America."

Full story

The very fact that this is even "news" is absurd. Hey guess what everybody John Kerry is going to continue a 2 centuries long tradition. :rolleyes:

Tonight they said the real reason he had to cave was because if he didn't accept the nomination, then the convention would be classified as a rally and not a convention (and therefore, not exempt from equal time rules) and if the networks broadcast it, they would be required to give the GOP equal time!

I just think his "handlers" came up with what they thought was a great idea until they realized the consequences. But when have they ever tought something out before they blurted it out.

Got a question---How did Kerry manage to get all the media coverage he did when he returned from Nam? Lots of people opposed the war but he seemed to get some pretty good exposure. The left get a hold of him or something?

Originally posted by dilloduck
I just think his "handlers" came up with what they thought was a great idea until they realized the consequences. But when have they ever tought something out before they blurted it out.

Got a question---How did Kerry manage to get all the media coverage he did when he returned from Nam? Lots of people opposed the war but he seemed to get some pretty good exposure. The left get a hold of him or something?

Well, even though he did try to avoid service, he did have the appeal of being a rich kid that ended up serving in Vietnam. He was also buddy buddy with the Kennedy family, and you could make a case that his otherwise sleep inducing way of speaking would be preferable to the uncontrolled rants some might go into. I'm also quite sure he already had political aspirations and jockeyed for the positition.

After Kerry gets the nomination, hard core Kerry supporters best use of their money would be to support Badnarik. Badnarik message appeals to disgruntled republicans upset at the war and the rising government spending levels. These voters would never switch to Kerry since he would be no better, but would easily consider Badnarik. http://www.badnarik.com

And as Nader showed in 2000, votes not for gore helped Bush. Just as votes not for Bush will help Kerry.

Travis

Originally posted by tpahl
After Kerry gets the nomination, hard core Kerry supporters best use of their money would be to support Badnarik.

And as Nader showed in 2000, votes not for gore helped Bush. Just as votes not for Bush will help Kerry.

Travis

As a supporter of third party canidates it seems hypocritical of you to advocate the spending of money to a canidate that a person does not support on ideals.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
As a supporter of third party canidates it seems hypocritical of you to advocate the spending of money to a canidate that a person does not support on ideals.

I do not see the hypocracy in it. Care to elaborate for me?

Or maybe I can just clarify my position and maybe that will clear up any misunderstandings...

I think that democrats supporting badnarik is advantageous to both Libertarians and Democrats regardless of whether they agree with all of Badnariks positions.

Travis

Just a personal belief I suppose. If a person believes in a canidate and party then they should support that canidate and party to advance them. Rather than support the opposition to the opposition.

Just a personal belief I suppose. If a person believes in a canidate and party then they should support that canidate and party to advance them. Rather than support the opposition to the opposition.

Yeah, I am not suggestig that Kerry Voters should not support Kerry. Just that one BIG way to support Kerry is to support Badnarik.

Travis

Originally posted by tpahl
Yeah, I am not suggestig that Kerry Voters should not support Kerry. Just that one BIG way to support Kerry is to support Badnarik.

Travis
With political manuvering there is some logic there, but I believe that such of an approach diminishes the overall appeal of third parties and their canidates. Otherwise their are viewed as pawns for the 2 big parties to shift around votes.

With political manuvering there is some logic there, but I believe that such of an approach diminishes the overall appeal of third parties and their canidates. Otherwise their are viewed as pawns for the 2 big parties to shift around votes.

If the Libertarian party were more well known and had a chance of winning THIS election then I would agree. But I think right now becoming a pawn and effecting the election is a better position than what the LP has been in the past. 4 years from now the LP and the democrats may not have as much in common and I would not advocate us working together, but as of right now I see a benifit for both libertarians and democrats in having Kerry supporters support Badnarik.

Http://www.badnarik.com

Forum List

Back