dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Kerry faults Bush in flu shot shortage
President, in turn, says senator won't keep nation safe
Jim VandeHei, Mike Allen, Washington Post

Sunday, October 17, 2004

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/10/17/MNGQ89B8DK1.DTL

Xenia, Ohio -- The presidential candidates spread messages of anxiety in Ohio and Florida on Saturday, with Sen. John Kerry accusing President Bush of putting American lives at risk by failing to prevent a flu vaccine shortage and Bush again saying his Democratic opponent cannot be trusted to protect the country from terrorists.

Speaking at a packed rally in a high school gym in Xenia, Kerry told Ohioans that Bush is to blame for the loss of half the nation's expected vaccine inventory for this flu season. He said the administration has forced health officials to make life-and-death decisions in dispensing dangerously tight supplies.

"We've got people standing in lines for hours on end -- some of them in their 70s and 80s -- hoping to be among the lucky ones," Kerry told the crowd. "And every day, our health care workers struggle to make what could be life-or-death decisions as to who is going to get a shot."

Steve Schmidt, a Bush spokesman, said Kerry is partly to blame because he opposed legislation in 2003 shielding vaccine-makers from some lawsuits as a way to entice more companies into the market. "Once again, John Kerry proves he has no solutions to offer, only attacks," Schmidt said.

At the rally, Kerry offered little detail as to how he would prevent future shortages, other than promising a new strategy. He had not addressed the issue of flu vaccines as a presidential candidate until the shortage was announced Oct. 5, according to Stephanie Cutter, a Kerry spokesman.
How typical of Kerry to attack Bush on this, while he contributed to the problem and didn't offer any deatails on how he would fix it.

Everytime Kerry spouts his BS about being a uniter I remember that off-the-cuff whisper to a supporter a while back when he said "these guys [the Republicans] are the biggest crooks and liars...". Uniter my ass.

I really wish that these guys would get serious. They have bashed each other so much neither one deserves our vote.

sagegirl said:

I really wish that these guys would get serious. They have bashed each other so much neither one deserves our vote.

well said.

Forum List

Back