Kerry skips vote

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://news.bostonherald.com/election2004/view.bg?articleid=27521

A vote to extend unemployment benefits was struck down 50-49. Kerry was the Senator that didnt show up.

Here is whats interesting about this. personally im fine with it not being extended we have a good economy. But Kerry has tried to position himself as champion for the little people. Part of his platform was to extend unemployment. This is one of his issues. And he skips the vote.

What do we have to expect if he becomes President?

Originally posted by Avatar4321
http://news.bostonherald.com/election2004/view.bg?articleid=27521

A vote to extend unemployment benefits was struck down 50-49. Kerry was the Senator that didnt show up.

Here is whats interesting about this. personally im fine with it not being extended we have a good economy. But Kerry has tried to position himself as champion for the little people. Part of his platform was to extend unemployment. This is one of his issues. And he skips the vote.

What do we have to expect if he becomes President?

I don't know what to say to that one. Hmm.
I will say this, Bush cut veteran's benefits during wartime!!! Fucking moron. I guess someone who never served his country overseas, only ordered his country overseas, wouldn't understand the need for benefits.

Have any friends crippled in Vietnam? Have any friends fucked after coming back from the Gulf, with all kinds of mental and health problems?

And now what are we to expect for the 100,000+ troops who will soon be returning to country.

Sorry, I know you'll be pissed I called HIM a fucking moron... but that shit infuriates me.

EDIT:and just for record that's my only Bush-bash in like 50 posts today. I'm trying to stick to issues.;)

Originally posted by nycflasher
I don't know what to say to that one. Hmm.
I will say this, Bush cut veteran's benefits during wartime!!! Fucking moron. I guess someone who never served his country overseas, only ordered his country overseas, wouldn't understand the need for benefits.

Have any friends crippled in Vietnam? Have any friends fucked after coming back from the Gulf, with all kinds of mental and health problems?

And now what are we to expect for the 100,000+ troops who will soon be returning to country.

Sorry, I know you'll be pissed I called HIM a fucking moron... but that shit infuriates me.

EDIT:and just for record that's my only Bush-bash in like 50 posts today. I'm trying to stick to issues.;)

Its been dealt with elsewhere. Injured Veterans are still getting the benefits. Its those who served with honor and are still able to provide for themselves and have benefits through employment that arent. Atleast from what I understand. And honestly, if they were willing to risked for the love of their country and can still provide for themselves i would think they would rather provide for themselves so other who need it more may have them.

50-49 eh? So if Kerry votes the result would've been 50-50. Then who breaks the tie? Dick Cheney of course. Kerry's vote would have made no difference in the outcome.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
50-49 eh? So if Kerry votes the result would've been 50-50. Then who breaks the tie? Dick Cheney of course. Kerry's vote would have made no difference in the outcome.

acludem

Hey you might have something there, old chum :crutch:

acludem

So he shouldnt show up and do his job? I think i get in more trouble if i don't show up for work rather than showing up and having my work mean nothing.

acludem

That isnt the point. The point is, this is one of his campaign issues and he didnt even care enough about it to show up to vote on it.

That isnt the point. The point is, this is one of his campaign issues and he didnt even care enough about it to show up to vote on it.

No doubt he'll use a variation of the excuse he used to vote against the last military appropriation for Iraq. As acludem has already rationalized the lib dodge - "I didn't vote because I knew that the Vice President would cast the tie breaker against passage."

These guys tap dance better than Shirley Temple.

Hardly matters since you aren't voting for him.
As for why he din't show up, I'm still waiting for an explanation.
But, seeing as his vote wouldn't hve been decisive, I'm less concerned.

He better have a decent explanation though.

Not that Bush was ever in Congress, but say he was harping to his constituents on an important campaign issue. Then he didnt bother to show up to vote on it. I'd be very upset with him and would question the integrity of his words. Alot of Republicans would be disinfranchised with Bush if he did that because we wouldnt be able to know if he meant what he said.

This just shows me that most Democrats don't have the same intellectual honesty to question their candidates hypocracy.

Anybody know what's going on with "no child left behind?"

As for Kerry, I won't speculate. I'm waiting for a response from his campaign headquarters.

acludem

That's a miss-print, Avatar got the numbers wrong. The article said the dems needed 60 votes to pass this and the vote was 59-40 not 50-49

Originally posted by insein
Still Kerry doesnt know what the vote will yield before he votes.

That's a losing argument. What's he gonna say? "I didn't know how it was gonna turn out so I didn't vote" or "Had I known it was gonna be so close I would've voted."

Never mind, he probably voted for it once already.

Originally posted by Bern80
That's a miss-print, Avatar got the numbers wrong. The article said the dems needed 60 votes to pass this and the vote was 59-40 not 50-49

My bad

Originally posted by Bern80
That's a losing argument. What's he gonna say? "I didn't know how it was gonna turn out so I didn't vote" or "Had I known it was gonna be so close I would've voted."

Never mind, he probably voted for it once already.

No the whole point is, you DON'T know how its going to turn out until the votes are counted. The fact that its an issue that he is pushing only emphasizes his incompetance. When 99% of the Senate vote on an issue and he is the only one that doesnt its incompetance. When it happens on an issue he is pushing, it makes him look like an incompetant hypocrit. Which basically sums him up to a T.

It may well have been that Democrats in the Senate told Kerry that his vote wouldn't matter, that they didn't have the votes to pass this bill with or without him, so they told him to stay on the campaign trail. I don't know.

acludem

It may well have been that Democrats in the Senate told Kerry that his vote wouldn't matter, that they didn't have the votes to pass this bill with or without him, so they told him to stay on the campaign trail. I don't know.

acludem

But its his abtaining from voting that kept it from being passed.

Cant believe im grateful that John Kerry didnt go to work one day. Maybe someday the people of MA will take their state back. and actually someone who respects the office of senator.

Forum List

Back