Kerry most 'pro-gay' prez candidate ever

N

NewGuy

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38727
Touted as the "most pro-gay presidential candidate ever," Sen. John Kerry's campaign has announced a "Pride Across America" program targeting the homosexual community with booths at 60 "pride" events in 22 states over the summer months.

"It's exciting for us because it's an investment the campaign and the DNC [Democratic National Committee] are making in the LGBT [Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered] community," said Mark Seifert, director of Kerry's LGBT outreach effort, according to Gay.com.

Another related program is "Ripple of Hope," an online fund-raising drive seeking to raise $500,000 in small donations from the homosexual community by the end of June.

"Out for Kerry 2004" buttons and flyers will be featured in the "Pride Across America" effort, which will compare the Massachusetts senator's record on homosexual issues with President Bush's.

The candidate's "LBGT for John Kerry" page features a "Kerry Pride Guide," with a "Kerry Pride Toolkit" that includes postcards, flyers and sign-up sheets.

Over the past several years, Kerry has had a "100 percent score" on homosexual issues from homosexual groups such as the Human Rights Campaign, according to his campaign website.

Kerry opposes a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, supports Vermont-style civil unions and wants to lift a ban on homosexuals in the military.

In a letter supporting the effort, Kerry stated he is "committed to using the power of the White House to advance equal rights for all Americans, including gay Americans."

"We don't need a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage," he said. "We need to find a way to provide all American families will full and equal rights."

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisc., a lesbian, has touted Kerry as "the most pro-gay presidential candidate ever."

She charged Republicans and the president have used homosexual issues to divide the electorate.

"They've politicized our steady and strong march for full civil rights in part as a diversion to what is happening elsewhere in the economy and in the world," she said, according to Gay.com.

Homosexual activists note with gratitude that, in 1996, Kerry was the only candidate for re-election to speak out in opposition to the Defense of Marriage Act, which denies federal recognition of same-sex marriages and gives states the right to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages licensed in other states.

The bill passed the Senate by an 85-14 margin and was signed by President Clinton.

Some homosexual voters have been disappointed with Kerry's opposition to same-sex marriage, Gay.com said.

But Seifert said it's not enough to withhold support.

"In his mind he has made that distinction and that's his position," Seifert said. "I don't have a problem supporting him at all, and in fact I'm proud to be supporting his campaign. People understand there are many issues in this campaign, and when they step back and they understand that, they see there is only one choice, and that choice is John Kerry."

In an interview with the "gay" publication The Advocate, Seifert called Kerry's involvement in the homosexual community "unprecedented" for any party or presidential candidate.

Baldwin agreed in an interview with the same publication.

"Bill Clinton was the first president to ever utter the words 'gay' or 'lesbian,'" she said. "Kerry brings that several steps further. It's rather unprecedented, especially at a time when we have a president who is trying to write discrimination into the U.S. Constitution."

Yes, but he'll do NOTHING to stop this assault on our values.

Much like his approach to the war on terror.

I wonder if Kerry is secretly gay, lol.

Originally posted by Gop guy
Yes, but he'll do NOTHING to stop this assault on our values.

Much like his approach to the war on terror.

I wonder if Kerry is secretly gay, lol.

Look at his wife? He might be. On second thought nah, he's still a man. Remember that story that got sqaushed about the intern.

Originally posted by insein
Look at his wife? He might be. On second thought nah, he's still a man. Remember that story that got sqaushed about the intern.

Well he is french. maybe he is bi.

Kerry in particular and the Democrats as a whole are opposed to gay marriage. The only party that I know of that would get government out of the marriage business is the LP. Here is a small essay I wrote on the subject a few months ago...

Are Democrats really for Gay Marriage?

The Defense of Marriage Act was an act that defined what marriage is supposed to be federally. States are supposed to accept marriages from other states, however this bill gives states the right to not recognize and honor marriages from other states if it is a gay marriage.

In the Senate, 32 Democrats voted in favor of this bill. Only 14 voted against it. Here is the voting record for the Senate: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=104&session=2&vote=00280

In the House, 118 Democrats voted for it and 65 against it: http://clerk.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.asp?year=1996&rollnumber=316

It was signed into law by Bill Clinton, a Democrat.

So you can see that even if we had 100% Democrats in both the House and Senate and a Democrat in the White House, you would still end up with anti-gay marriage legislation being enacted, because by a large majority WITHIN the Democratic party, they are opposed to gay marriage.

To Kerry's credit, he did vote against this particular bill. However, apparently he recently responded to that Massachussettes court ruling by saying that he thinks that gays should not be able to marry and should only be able to have a civil union. This is wrong in my opinion, because if two people want to get married and a church wants to marry them, then it should not matter what the government or any politician says.

Also, I was not able to find anything on gay marriage in the Democrats national platform. http://www.democrats.org/about/2000platform.html

In contrast to the indecisive support of gay marriage in the Democratic Party, the Libertarian Party takes a strong stance of keeping the government out of the whole issue. Reject "Defense of Marriage Act," Libertarians Urge Congress.

Forum List

Back