Kerry knew the audience for his joke

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Kerry’s “botched” joke was aimed right at the audience he knew was there. The audience, which laughed, obviously didn’t think it was botched. Two accounts deepen our understanding of the match between the room (as comedians call the nature of an audience) and the material.

From the American Spectator’s Prowler, (hat tip: Dennis Sevakis)

“The reason they had the joke in there was because of the crowd,” the staffer says. “We’d told the office that there would be lots of MoveOn.org types, lots of young people at the event, so they gave him material to play to what we consider to be the important base of the party for next week. Kerry was playing to the crowd, giving them what the Democrats think they want to hear.”

From Rich Lowry, writing in the New York Post,

Markos Moulitsas, the leader of the left-wing blogosphere from his perch at Daily Kos, pronounced himself much pleased: “Kerry responded perfectly.” It was the blogosphere that encouraged Kerry to believe that what cost him the election in 2004 was that he hadn’t denounced his detractors angrily enough.

I think all the Democrats should listen to the Kos, and the Moveon clubs...It just helps out the Republicans......:mm:

Ed Lasky 11 2 06
http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=6515

Kerry’s “botched” joke was aimed right at the audience he knew was there. The audience, which laughed, obviously didn’t think it was botched. Two accounts deepen our understanding of the match between the room (as comedians call the nature of an audience) and the material.

From the American Spectator’s Prowler, (hat tip: Dennis Sevakis)

“The reason they had the joke in there was because of the crowd,” the staffer says. “We’d told the office that there would be lots of MoveOn.org types, lots of young people at the event, so they gave him material to play to what we consider to be the important base of the party for next week. Kerry was playing to the crowd, giving them what the Democrats think they want to hear.”

From Rich Lowry, writing in the New York Post,

Markos Moulitsas, the leader of the left-wing blogosphere from his perch at Daily Kos, pronounced himself much pleased: “Kerry responded perfectly.” It was the blogosphere that encouraged Kerry to believe that what cost him the election in 2004 was that he hadn’t denounced his detractors angrily enough.

I think all the Democrats should listen to the Kos, and the Moveon clubs...It just helps out the Republicans......:mm:

Ed Lasky 11 2 06
http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=6515

I guess it could be construed as an attempt at a joke if you say something to insult Bush in front of people who hate Bush but personally I still see it as a botched attempt at slinging mud that went awry. Sorta like throwing a mud pie at your sister and hitting your mom. OOOOOOOOOPPPPPS !!!!

I guess it could be construed as an attempt at a joke if you say something to insult Bush in front of people who hate Bush but personally I still see it as a botched attempt at slinging mud that went awry. Sorta like throwing a mud pie at your sister and hitting your mom. OOOOOOOOOPPPPPS !!!!

Or, trying to throw that mud pie...and end up throwing in your own face...:food1:

Honestly, I just think the man is a hypocrite for even telling people that education and hard work can get you anywhere in life when he is where he is because he married rich women, not because he worked a day in his life.

From the original reports, there was a combination of laughing and gasps from the audience. I didn't think what he said was funny, and I'm pretty liberal.

From the original reports, there was a combination of laughing and gasps from the audience. I didn't think what he said was funny, and I'm pretty liberal.

That's because it wasn't a joke---it was a cute attempt at calling the president stupid---You and bully probably would have got a kick outta that.

That's because it wasn't a joke---it was a cute attempt at calling the president stupid---You and bully probably would have got a kick outta that.

Oh, I see now. You guys do realize Mr. bush is an idiot, so you just thought that kerry was stating fact, instead of joking. My bad, I wasn't aware that everyone acknowledged bush's stupidity.

Oh, I see now. You guys do realize Mr. bush is an idiot, so you just thought that kerry was stating fact, instead of joking. My bad, I wasn't aware that everyone acknowledged bush's stupidity.

I'm not convinced that the 'joke' or what was purported to be such, wasn't written after the fact. Either way, I believe Kerry was saying what he believes, as he has for the past 35+ years. He hates those in the military, he believes them inferior. He said so, many times.

I was unaware that it was an either or proposition.

I was under the impression it was a personal attack, it doesnt have to be a joke or a fact to be such.

Besides, good jokes have some semblance to real life, obviously this one didnt because it wasnt funny.

Forum List

Back