Kerry Isn't The Only One Placing Foot In Mouth

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Not too bright these remarks. To his credit, he didn't just focus on conservatives:

Netflix CEO: Americans are 'self-absorbed' | Washington Examiner

Netflix CEO: Americans are 'self-absorbed'
By: Laura Curtis
Special to The Examiner
09/24/10 3:52 PM EDT

In a recent interview, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings responded to a question whether his American customers were likely to be disgruntled about the cheaper deal Netflix is offering Canadians:

“How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.”​

Hastings is perfectly entitled to charge his customers whatever he pleases, and he owes no explanations for the disparity. But it seems unwise for him to literally add insult to injury. I find the low regard he has for paying customers like me a bit shocking, and I’ll keep it in mind as I investigate other streaming entertainment options, especially free ones like Hulu and Boxee. When Hastings’ “self-absorbed” customers complained, he proffered a weak apology, claiming it was a was a bad joke:

“My Big American Foot is in my mouth. Yesterday, I made an awkward joke with a reporter in Toronto about Americans (like me) being self-absorbed relative to Netflix pricing in Canada. I was wrong to have made the joke, and I do not believe that one of the most philanthropically-minded nations in the world (America) is self-absorbed or full of self-absorbed people.”​

Hastings’ claim of a joke gone awry is not believable when you read the original comment in context, and even as a joke it lacks enough realism to be amusing. But it is a view of Americans often stated by liberals. (Of the $255,450 of Hasting’s political donations, $224,700 has gone to Democrats.)

His remark that Americans are completely self-absorbed is exactly right.:) If you're going to stick your foot in your mouth, it's better to be honest than in denial of reality.

Not too bright these remarks. To his credit, he didn't just focus on conservatives:

Netflix CEO: Americans are 'self-absorbed' | Washington Examiner

Netflix CEO: Americans are 'self-absorbed'
By: Laura Curtis
Special to The Examiner
09/24/10 3:52 PM EDT

In a recent interview, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings responded to a question whether his American customers were likely to be disgruntled about the cheaper deal Netflix is offering Canadians:

“How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.”​

Hastings is perfectly entitled to charge his customers whatever he pleases, and he owes no explanations for the disparity. But it seems unwise for him to literally add insult to injury. I find the low regard he has for paying customers like me a bit shocking, and I’ll keep it in mind as I investigate other streaming entertainment options, especially free ones like Hulu and Boxee. When Hastings’ “self-absorbed” customers complained, he proffered a weak apology, claiming it was a was a bad joke:

“My Big American Foot is in my mouth. Yesterday, I made an awkward joke with a reporter in Toronto about Americans (like me) being self-absorbed relative to Netflix pricing in Canada. I was wrong to have made the joke, and I do not believe that one of the most philanthropically-minded nations in the world (America) is self-absorbed or full of self-absorbed people.”​

Hastings’ claim of a joke gone awry is not believable when you read the original comment in context, and even as a joke it lacks enough realism to be amusing. But it is a view of Americans often stated by liberals. (Of the $255,450 of Hasting’s political donations, $224,700 has gone to Democrats.)

I think someone needed to take a look at book sales figures for books on our countries history, the founding fathers, and the constitution.

We WERE asleep but are now awake.

And Kerry is still as big of a goober as he was when bush beat him in 04

His remark that Americans are completely self-absorbed is exactly right.:) If you're going to stick your foot in your mouth, it's better to be honest than in denial of reality.

Well that does make one wonder why he later said, "...I do not believe that one of the most philanthropically-minded nations in the world (America) is self-absorbed or full of self-absorbed people.”

Well that does make one wonder why he later said, "...I do not believe that one of the most philanthropically-minded nations in the world (America) is self-absorbed or full of self-absorbed people.”

Follow the money.:)

Follow the money.:)

I did

HEINZ.jpg

Forum List

Back