Kerry does something right!

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
US Senator Kerry backs controversial India-US nuclear deal
Thu Jan 12, 10:24 AM ET

NEW DELHI (AFP) - US Senator John Kerry, seen as a key player in getting Congress to approve a controversial deal giving India access to civilian nuclear technology, said he would back the accord.

"In principle, I support this," said Kerry, a member of the influential US
Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a strong advocate of tightening non-proliferation controls.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060112/pl_afp/indiausenergynucleardemocrats

gop_jeff said:
US Senator Kerry backs controversial India-US nuclear deal
Thu Jan 12, 10:24 AM ET

NEW DELHI (AFP) - US Senator John Kerry, seen as a key player in getting Congress to approve a controversial deal giving India access to civilian nuclear technology, said he would back the accord.

"In principle, I support this," said Kerry, a member of the influential US
Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a strong advocate of tightening non-proliferation controls.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060112/pl_afp/indiausenergynucleardemocrats

Oh - so he'll vote FOR it? :teeth:

Prediction of Kerry's statement after he votes against it: I was for it before I voted against it.... Hey, in principal I was for it, but in reality it was a bad bill.... They attached mustache laws and I am anti-mustache...

no1tovote4 said:
Prediction of Kerry's statement after he votes against it: I was for it before I voted against it.... Hey, in principal I was for it, but in reality it was a bad bill.... They attached mustache laws and I am anti-mustache...

Just curious, anyone from here ever try posting at DU?
what a rag!

musicman said:
Oh - so he'll vote FOR it? :teeth:

You are aware, of course, that the bill he was referring to in that statement was actually two bills, the one he voted against being a different version of the one he voted for.

It was a pretty inarticulate way to describe that simple concept, but since folks like you still don't understand it, it makes you look dumber than him everytime you say it.

But I'm sure every Republican Senator, once a bill is written, if they choose to vote for that bill, will vote for it again no matter how many revisions are added to it that they don't like.

And BTW, did you know that Al Gore never said "I invented the internet"?

Of course not. You all believe what your mind controlling spin machines feed you.

SpidermanTuba said:

here is the exact quote:

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

creating inventing writing framing.....all the same no? it is just a word...why are you so upset

manu1959 said:
here is the exact quote:

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

creating inventing writing framing.....all the same no? it is just a word...why are you so upset

Because it is dishonest to claim something is a direct quote when it is not.

Create and invent have different meanings. The creation of the internet is an ongoing process, and much of it has come into being fairly recently. In fact, Al Gore was a large part of what Congress did to help the internet get to where it is today. For instance, he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act, which established a national computing plan and helped link universities and libraries via a shared network.

He is clearly not claiming credit as THE one "creator" of the internet. The phrase "I invented the internet" does not even come close to representing the true meaning of what he said. And while the wording may be clumsy, George Bush's wording is 50 times clumsier. And when put into the context of the entire statement:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

it is clear that he is not taking credit for creating the internet singlehandedly, as brainwashing Republicans would have you believe, but is instead listing some of the things he helped to enact in the Senate.

In fact, Al Gores contributed so much to the information superhighway that
in May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet.

SpidermanTuba said:

Create and invent have different meanings. The creation of the internet is an ongoing process, and much of it has come into being fairly recently. In fact, Al Gore was a large part of what Congress did to help the internet get to where it is today. For instance, he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act, which established a national computing plan and helped link universities and libraries via a shared network.

He is clearly not claiming credit as THE one "creator" of the internet. The phrase "I invented the internet" does not even come close to representing the true meaning of what he said. And while the wording may be clumsy, George Bush's wording is 50 times clumsier. And when put into the context of the entire statement:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

it is clear that he is not taking credit for creating the internet singlehandedly, as brainwashing Republicans would have you believe, but is instead listing some of the things he helped to enact in the Senate.

in May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet.

Great--maybe he will stay in the computer business and out of politics.

SpidermanTuba said:

He is clearly not claiming credit as THE one "creator" of the internet.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

it is clear that he is not taking credit for creating the internet

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm if you take out all the double speak it is clear to me

SpidermanTuba said:
You are aware, of course, that the bill he was referring to in that statement was actually two bills, the one he voted against being a different version of the one he voted for.

You are aware, of course, that it was a great soundbyte and that it worked.

It was a pretty inarticulate way to describe that simple concept, but since folks like you still don't understand it, it makes you look dumber than him everytime you say it.

Especially for such an articulate Senator. His problems weren't with English...

But I'm sure every Republican Senator, once a bill is written, if they choose to vote for that bill, will vote for it again no matter how many revisions are added to it that they don't like.

I am sure that they would have said something like, "Well, after we got past the first vote they added a bunch of pork to it that made it unpalatable...." But heck, it would have actually made sense then...

And BTW, did you know that this was also a great soundbyte, and that it worked. Sometimes spin wins elections, sometimes it just makes you look stupid...

Of course not. You all believe what your mind controlling spin machines feed you.
Right. Amazingly, some people can look past the partisan hackery and see the politics for what they are. Some people never get past them, regardless of how many math courses they take.

SpidermanTuba said:

The man said "I actually voted for that bill before I voted against it". I can't help it if he's retarded.

SpidermanTuba said:

So, you're saying I shouldn't quote him - or reference any of his quotes - without first putting them through the special Spiderman retard filter? I should quote what he MEANS, rather than what he says? Help me out here.

no1tovote4 said:
I got kicked out of there for my first post. "I am libertarian, are we welcome here?"

wow. from the "freedom of speech" gang? hhahahahha

SpidermanTuba said:

well, he did invent it, after he didnt invent it, which was before he did invent it.

gop_jeff said:
ANYWAY aren't we gald to see that John Kerry is with President Bush on getting India on nuclear power?

Yeah, anyway....

It's good as long as he doesn't find some reason to back pedal later. His "In principle" comment makes me think he's leaving wiggle room for later.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Yeah, anyway....

It's good as long as he doesn't find some reason to back pedal later. His "In principle" comment makes me think he's leaving wiggle room for later.

Oh heck, even if he said "there is absolutely, positively, 150% positively NO WAY I would change my mind on this issue" has plenty of wiggle room for him.:)

Forum List

Back