Kerry does something right!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 5stringJeff, Jan 12, 2006.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    US Senator Kerry backs controversial India-US nuclear deal
    Thu Jan 12, 10:24 AM ET

NEW DELHI (AFP) - US Senator John Kerry, seen as a key player in getting Congress to approve a controversial deal giving India access to civilian nuclear technology, said he would back the accord.

"In principle, I support this," said Kerry, a member of the influential US
    Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a strong advocate of tightening non-proliferation controls.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060112/pl_afp/indiausenergynucleardemocrats

2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Oh - so he'll vote FOR it? :teeth:

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Right before he votes against it!

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    :beer:

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Prediction of Kerry's statement after he votes against it: I was for it before I voted against it.... Hey, in principal I was for it, but in reality it was a bad bill.... They attached mustache laws and I am anti-mustache...

6. LuvRPgrl

LuvRPgrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Just curious, anyone from here ever try posting at DU?
    what a rag!

7. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

I got kicked out of there for my first post. "I am libertarian, are we welcome here?"

8. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

You are aware, of course, that the bill he was referring to in that statement was actually two bills, the one he voted against being a different version of the one he voted for.

It was a pretty inarticulate way to describe that simple concept, but since folks like you still don't understand it, it makes you look dumber than him everytime you say it.

But I'm sure every Republican Senator, once a bill is written, if they choose to vote for that bill, will vote for it again no matter how many revisions are added to it that they don't like.

And BTW, did you know that Al Gore never said "I invented the internet"?

Of course not. You all believe what your mind controlling spin machines feed you.

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    here is the exact quote:

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

creating inventing writing framing.....all the same no? it is just a word...why are you so upset

10. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Because it is dishonest to claim something is a direct quote when it is not.

Create and invent have different meanings. The creation of the internet is an ongoing process, and much of it has come into being fairly recently. In fact, Al Gore was a large part of what Congress did to help the internet get to where it is today. For instance, he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act, which established a national computing plan and helped link universities and libraries via a shared network.

He is clearly not claiming credit as THE one "creator" of the internet. The phrase "I invented the internet" does not even come close to representing the true meaning of what he said. And while the wording may be clumsy, George Bush's wording is 50 times clumsier. And when put into the context of the entire statement:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

it is clear that he is not taking credit for creating the internet singlehandedly, as brainwashing Republicans would have you believe, but is instead listing some of the things he helped to enact in the Senate.

In fact, Al Gores contributed so much to the information superhighway that
    in May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet.