Kerry cheating in debate?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I heard this (vaguely-I was still half asleep) on the radio this morning, about Kerry cheating by taking out a piece of paper from his breast pocket, which was deemed not allowed ahead of time, by an agreement of BOTH parties. Has anyone else heard about this? I didn't hear much of the details because I had to go and fix breakfast for my son.

I didn't watch this debate but I've heard enough about it to conclude that the moderator of the debate had stacked it in Kerrys favor. It wouldn't then surprise me to learn that he did cheat.

I haven't seen the video but I have seen this on a couple of different sites. Really not much that Bush can do. If Kerry did cheat and Bush called him on it, it would look petty. Bush's best bet is to do nothing, let the blogosphere air out the cheating, and then whoop Kerry in debates 2 and 3.

what I had heard was that they could not bring anything WITH them to the podium. any notes, cues, etc. had to be waiting for them when they got there. i didn't see the debates either, but listened to them in the car as we were driving to dinner. from what i heard this morning, Kerry violated that rule, by doing the aforementioned.

Of course, I can't find anything AT ALL on this in print. I only heard about it on a local station.

I have heard the same thing, trouble is how does nayone bring it up without looking petty and sinking to Kerry's level?

i finally found a link. there are vid clips and everything.

The Drudge Report

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN OCT 03, 2004 14:05:38 ET XXXXX

DEBATE MYSTERY: DID KERRY HAVE CHEAT SHEET?

Section 5, pages 4-5 of the binding "Memorandum of Understanding" that was negotiated and agreed upon by both political campaigns states:

"No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by either candidate.... Each candidate must submit to the staff of the Commission prior to the debate all such paper and any pens or pencils with which a candidate may wish to take notes during the debate, and the staff or commission will place such paper, pens and pencils on the podium..."

So what did Dem presidential contender John Kerry take out of his jacket as he approached the stage [with his back to the auditorium's audience]?

What did Kerry place on the podium?

Video replays of the Kerry maneuver played all weekend long on the internet.

[A tight zoom analysis of the Boston.Com feed shows Kerry pulling a mysterious item his jacket [14 seconds into video, after commerical]. Kerry appears to unfold some sort of paper seconds later, at his podium.]

A top Kerry campaign source explained to the DRUDGE REPORT late Sunday how Bush supporters were once again trying to distract.

"Kerry did not cheat," said the Kerry insider. "This is more lies from Republicans, who are hoping for a quick change of subject away from the president's performance, and the new polls."

When pressed on the fact that even brandishing a pen from his jacket would have violated debate rules, the Kerry staffer laughed, adding, "See you at the inauguration, Drudge".

Developing...

Bonnie said:
I have heard the same thing, trouble is how does nayone bring it up without looking petty and sinking to Kerry's level?

it depends. the stuff kerry tries to drag up, is stuff that happened 25+ YEARS ago. This is current, and a CLEAR violation of the rules. He knew the rules, yet refused to follow them. I say Bush should just mention it in his speeches, casually, like, "I may have lost the debate, according to the moderators, but at least I played by the rules."

something along those lines

really, I wish they would make a bigger deal out of it, because, say a ref at a football team does not call the rule violation, but everyone else saw it, how does that make the ref look? Biased? Yep. We KNOW the moderators were biased in the debate, but it needs to be publicly announced that Kerry cheated. If Bush had done this, the libbies would be all over it like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm. You KNOW they would be screeching even louder. I say it's time we screech back.

Does anybody else see how ridiculous it is that Kerry taking a pen or paper out of his breastpocket is seen as an outrage, yet the two contenders for the most powerful office in the world "debating" with completely scripted soundbytes is seen as a non-issue?

Oh, and here we go again with Republicans making up BS to distract from the real issues, lets not talk about the best way to solve the situation in Iraq or what needs to be done with Iran's nuclear weapons programs, lets debate what is really important, a pen!

Each candidate must submit to the staff of the Commission prior to the debate all such paper and any pens or pencils with which a candidate may wish to take notes during the debate, and the staff or commission will place such paper, pens and pencils on the podium..."

Is it not entirely possible that that "thing" was one of the approved items?

fuzzykitten99 said:
If Bush had done this, the libbies would be all over it like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm. You KNOW they would be screeching even louder. I say it's time we screech back.

BS. If Bush had done this I would make a joke about it and move on. I care about "pengate" as much as I do about Bush being in the National Guard.

This does not surprise me at all!

Hey I like this thread,

OP, would you mind if I used this thread over on my board?

Palestinian Jew said:
Does anybody else see how ridiculous it is that Kerry taking a pen or paper out of his breastpocket is seen as an outrage, yet the two contenders for the most powerful office in the world "debating" with completely scripted soundbytes is seen as a non-issue?

Oh, and here we go again with Republicans making up BS to distract from the real issues, lets not talk about the best way to solve the situation in Iraq or what needs to be done with Iran's nuclear weapons programs, lets debate what is really important, a pen!

And once again Iraq has been discussed, and here we go again..Kerry has no plan for Iraq.......And how he would handle Iran Is a joke!!!!!!!!!

Bonnie said:
And once again Iraq has been discussed, and here we go again..Kerry has no plan for Iraq.......And how he would handle Iran Is a joke!!!!!!!!!

LOL, correction....he said he had a plan Bonnie! He said go look on johnkerry.com

How lame!

Am I imagining things or is a Jew backing John Kerry? If this was true, it would be difficult for me to accept, because if John Kerry gets in Office, we can pretty much say bye bye to Israel.:(

Palestinian Jew said:

You MISSED THE POINT...
it doesn't matter if it's approved...he CANNOT use anything that was not there when he got to the podium. If he took out something from his jacket, then he flat out cheated, whether he intended to or not. Whatever he planned on using, HAD TO BE AT THE PODIUM BEFORE HE GOT THERE.

Either way, it would violate the debate rules agreed to by both campaigns: "No props, notes . . . or other tangible things may be brought into the debate." as stated in the debate rules.

fuzzykitten99 said:
You MISSED THE POINT...
it doesn't matter if it's approved...he CANNOT use anything that was not there when he got to the podium. If he took out something from his jacket, then he flat out cheated, whether he intended to or not. Whatever he planned on using, HAD TO BE AT THE PODIUM BEFORE HE GOT THERE.

Either way, it would violate the debate rules agreed to by both campaigns: "No props, notes . . . or other tangible things may be brought into the debate." as stated in the debate rules.

Who f***ing cares about a goddamn pen or piece of paper when we look at the bigger picture, the entire "debate" was a scripted show! The two people contending for the most powerful position in the world didn't even debate! Thats where you should be putting your anger, not over a piece of paper or a pen.

But if you do feel the need to continue arguing, why would Kerry need to cheat?! The guy has demonstrated time and again that he is an excellent debater that doesn't need to cheat. Besides, what could he have possibly written on the notecard that he would feel was so vital to his success that he would risk looking like an ass in front of all of America?

tnfzpaul said:
LOL, correction....he said he had a plan Bonnie! He said go look on johnkerry.com

How lame!

Am I imagining things or is a Jew backing John Kerry? If this was true, it would be difficult for me to accept, because if John Kerry gets in Office, we can pretty much say bye bye to Israel.:(

Your right John Kerry's plan is LAME and so is his ridiculous website which says a whole lot of nothing..... :cheers2:

Palestinian Jew said:
Who f***ing cares about a goddamn pen or piece of paper when we look at the bigger picture, the entire "debate" was a scripted show! The two people contending for the most powerful position in the world didn't even debate! Thats where you should be putting your anger, not over a piece of paper or a pen.

But if you do feel the need to continue arguing, why would Kerry need to cheat?! The guy has demonstrated time and again that he is an excellent debater that doesn't need to cheat. Besides, what could he have possibly written on the notecard that he would feel was so vital to his success that he would risk looking like an ass in front of all of America?

Wrong, this is the first time in his whole campaign that he has even shown his ability to debate, then what do you know...he cheats.

He has flip flopped on every issue he has ever made a statement on.

You should ashamed as a Jewish person to even be backing this liar.

tnfzpaul said:
Wrong, this is the first time in his whole campaign that he has even shown his ability to debate, then what do you know...he cheats.

He has flip flopped on every issue he has ever made a statement on.

You should ashamed as a Jewish person to even be backing this liar.

you shouldn't trust everything you see on the internet, I am neither palestinian or jewish. The name comes from reading a story about palestinian children who had one israeli parent and one palestinian parent.

Palestinian Jew said:
you shouldn't trust everything you see on the internet, I am neither palestinian or jewish. The name comes from reading a story about palestinian children who had one israeli parent and one palestinian parent.

Why shouldn't I trust, since you use a username that would most of the time represent ones self. In other words, I assumed since you have a username that is called Palestinian Jew.

Besides, your wrong.

Forum List

Back