Kerry: Bush Puts Ideology Before Science

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Kerry: Bush Puts Ideology Before Science

NANTUCKET, Mass. - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) on Monday criticized President Bush (news - web sites) for relying on ideology rather than fact in the pursuit of science and repeated his pledge to overturn the ban on federal funding of research on new stem cell lines.

We need a president who will once again embrace our tradition of looking toward the future and new discoveries with hope based on scientific facts, not fear," Kerry said in a campaign statement issued as he traveled to Denver. "It's about investing in the future of our country. I won't let ideology and fear stand in our way."

The Bush campaign, meanwhile, is airing radio ads promoting economic gains in six battleground states, focusing on markets where Kerry, Bush or Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) are traveling this week.

The Kerry campaign said the Massachusetts senator will invest in scientific research to foster discoveries to protect the economy as well as to help cure diseases. He also will rely on scientific leaders and expert advice when making decisions, the campaign said, and will allow stem cells to be researched in full under the appropriate ethical oversight.

more

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=ap/kerry

What if stem cell research could ONLY be conducted using clubbed baby seals? How would the left feel then?

We certainly know that Kerry will not place ideology before anything. He doesn't have one except for the old favorite of Clinton. Say what the people want to hear to get the votes. I happen to be pro stem cell research (within certain parameters) but coming from a Catholic, it makes me wonder why he would be for such a thing. Is he a man of conviction and clear vision ? This stand makes me think not.

Originally posted by nycflasher
That's not Bush?

Bush doesn't flip-flop his positions on the issues, depending on who he's speaking to. Nor does he use such inane explanations like, "I actually voted for the war, before I voted against it."

Originally posted by nycflasher
An enemy of science is an enemy of progress.

Oh yes, religion is evil, down with it all!

I'm sick of your traitorous candidates persecution of Bush's faith and his appeasement policies.

I'm also gettin sick of having to hear them from you, again.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
What if stem cell research could ONLY be conducted using clubbed baby seals? How would the left feel then?

LMFAO- Bravo!

Well, regardless of my view on stem cell research- I am fine with MOST of it- there is one thing I find kinda funny:
If Bush lets ideology get in the way of science, Kerry & liberals let their ideology supporting partial-birth murder get in the way of human rights.

I can see I'm not making any friends on this issue.
Maybe I was a little harsh.
Tell me this, though, why does Bush oppose said research?
I don't get it.

Bush will lose support from his pro-life base because they see the research as furthering the cause of pro-choice....it undermines the argument that the embryo has rights if you can use if for research....I disagree with my trusted leader on this one cause my grandfather suffers from Alzheimer's.

Originally posted by leojoeyjoe
Bush will lose support from his pro-life base because they see the research as furthering the cause of pro-choice....it undermines the argument that the embryo has rights if you can use if for research....I disagree with my trusted leader on this one cause my grandfather suffers from Alzheimer's.

I haven't read up on this like somethings, but since Reagan's week, I've seen several articles that say that adult stem cells might be better than the embryonic regarding Alzheimer's. Now that doesn't address all the illnesses whose cure may or may not be helped through these methods. Just an aside I suppose.

Yes, this IS true...but the sides have formed as they are and the pro-choicers have lumped their argument in withthe other....it is as it is now....as long as the proposals INCLUDE the EMBRYONIC brand of research..the adult kind will still be "backburnered"...

Well regardless of the origin. I just don't see it as a motivating issue for voters. And your right, it just shows Kerry as an oppurtunist.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Well regardless of the origin. I just don't see it as a motivating issue for voters. And your right, it just shows Kerry as an oppurtunist.

Maybe not a motivating issue but may be a swing issue to many who have an ill loved one who could be helped. I am against Bushs' stand on this issue but admire the fact that he sticks to his convictions.

Forum List

Back