Kerry begins to concede "Swing States"

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/09/09/election2004/9_23_559_9_04.txt

The Kerry campaign has begun shifting money out of states that are seen as swing states. It seems they will no longer be advertising or actively campaigning in Missouri, Arizona, and colorado (although this is the first time ive heard Colorado as a swing state).

However, a close look at the advertising plans reveal that all the states won't get equal treatment and that the priorities are 14 states in which the Kerry campaign or the Democratic Party will air ads this month.

--The Kerry campaign has bought time in Florida, Ohio, Iowa, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, West Virginia, New Hampshire, Michigan and Oregon. Those are the campaign's 10 most competitive states, ranking at the top of Bush's advertising priorities as well.

--The Democratic National Committee is airing commercials in most of those states to keep Kerry competitive with Bush's large ad budgets. In addition, the DNC is on the air in Maine, Washington state, Nevada and Minnesota. Nevada is a GOP-leaning state Kerry would like to win. The other three, especially dead-even Minnesota, voted Democratic in 2000, and Kerry can't afford to lose them.

Is it my imagination or are the Democrats really worrid when they have to start advertising in Maine, or any New England state? Its interesting to see how this changes will shift the dynamics of the race. President Bush will no longer have to spend as much in some of the states and can shift some of the advertising to more Democrat leaning states such as Cali, New Jersey, New York, etc.

I also have a feeling Kerry will have to shift some more money out of some more so called swing states. I think this is playing out like i said. The election is close, just in the wrong states.

There have been some prominent dems lately saying that the game is over and Bush is going to win. One even said that Kerry might just have to throw in the towel soon so they can save the DNC money for the '06 house and senate campaigns.

Looks like an effort to place the resources where they will match the GOP's strongest efforts. I am not sure how that will ork out for them.

freeandfun1 said:
There have been some prominent dems lately saying that the game is over and Bush is going to win. One even said that Kerry might just have to throw in the towel soon so they can save the DNC money for the '06 house and senate campaigns.

I cant see Kerry doing that without pressure from Don Clintoniony. He is probably too busy sexually harassing the nurses though.

Is it my imagination or are the Democrats really worrid when they have to start advertising in Maine, or any New England state? Its interesting to see how this changes will shift the dynamics of the race. President Bush will no longer have to spend as much in some of the states and can shift some of the advertising to more Democrat leaning states such as Cali, New Jersey, New York, etc.

I also have a feeling Kerry will have to shift some more money out of some more so called swing states. I think this is playing out like i said. The election is close, just in the wrong states.

Perhaps I'm reaching here, but could it be that their philosphy is shifting from trying to win to just trying to save face? Perhaps they see the writing on the wall and now they simply want to be able walk away with more support than Jimmy the peanut Carter managed to eke out when he ran for a second term.

Merlin1047 said:
Perhaps I'm reaching here, but could it be that their philosphy is shifting from trying to win to just trying to save face? Perhaps they see the writing on the wall and now they simply want to be able walk away with more support than Jimmy the peanut Carter managed to eke out when he ran for a second term.

I dunno...Even with the writing on the wall i think Kerry would have to make some major blunders to do worse than Carter. But then....he quite possibly will.

I am also wondering it this is part of the Clinton stragety to destroy Kerry's chances so Hillary can run.

I certainly do not believe that California is a swing state, but with Arnold a popular Govenor, Kerry will be forced to spend more money there than the campaign would have wanted.

MtnBiker said:
I certainly do not believe that California is a swing state, but with Arnold a popular Govenor, Kerry will be forced to spend more money there than the campaign would have wanted.

I do think its in play. especially if arnold continues campaigning there. But we will find out in 54 days

The dems are moving into the "saving face" mode. They know it is lost and now they just need to make sure they don't lose even more seats in the house and senate (which with a big Bush turn-out will likely happen). They need to start focusing on '06 and '08. Put a fork in em, they're done!

Forum List

Back