kept alive against their wishes

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Apparently Mr. Schaivo did this for 8 years prior to surrendering to perform the duties that he was asked to do by his wife. How many others are out there now suffering because of the irresponsibilty of a guardian? States need to investigate every person who is incognizant and being kept alive in spite of their wishes and guilty parties should be punished accordingly!

My exes one grandmother had Alzheimer's. When she was put into the rest home, her son, Don,signed all the necessary papers & among them he chose to not have her put on life support of any kind but to let her die when the time came. Margee got sick and they did EVERYTHING in their power to keep her alive. Seems they didn't have that necessary signed paper on record. See, Margee was 'well-off'. Don made sure they had record of his decision from then on. And they let her die.

This is just a small incident in comparison to Terry. Because of the almighty dollar, I believe there's all kinds of inproprieties going on. I don't know if this could be in check any better than children's services. And with the baby-boomers entering their golden years....talk about job security!

Joz said:
My exes one grandmother had Alzheimer's. When she was put into the rest home, her son, Don,signed all the necessary papers & among them he chose to not have her put on life support of any kind but to let her die when the time came. Margee got sick and they did EVERYTHING in their power to keep her alive. Seems they didn't have that necessary signed paper on record. See, Margee was 'well-off'. Don made sure they had record of his decision from then on. And they let her die.

This is just a small incident in comparison to Terry. Because of the almighty dollar, I believe there's all kinds of inproprieties going on. I don't know if this could be in check any better than children's services. And with the baby-boomers entering their golden years....talk about job security!

Thats's sorta what I was thinking-----how far are we willing to go with this??

SAMPLE LIVING WILL
UNIFORM LIVING WILL OF [list name of declarant]

To my family, physician, attorney, and anyone else who may become responsible for my health, welfare or affairs, I make this declaration while I am of sound mind.

If I should ever become in a terminal state and there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I direct that I be allowed to die a natural death and that my life not be prolonged by extraordinary measures. I do, however, ask that medication be mercifully administered to me to alleviate suffering even though this may shorten my remaining life.

This statement is made after full reflection and is in accordance with my full desires. I want the above provisions carried out to the extent permitted by law. Insofar as they are not legally enforceable, I wish that those to whom this will is addressed will regard themselves as morally bound by this instrument.

If permissible in the jurisdiction in which I may be hospitalized I direct that in the event of a terminal diagnosis, that the physicians supervising my care discontinue feeding should the continuation of feeding be judged to result in unduly prolonging a natural death.

If permissible in the jurisdiction in which I may be hospitalized I direct that in the event of a terminal diagnosis, that the physicians supervising my care discontinue hydration (water) should the continuation of hydration be judged to result in unduly prolonging a natural death.

I herewith authorize my spouse, if any, or any relative who is related to me within the third degree to effectuate my transfer from any hospital or other health care facility in which I may be receiving care should that facility decline or refuse to effectuate the instructions given herein.

I herewith release any and all hospitals, physicians, and others for myself and for my estate from any liability for complying with this instrument.

Signed:

State of residence: [state of residence]
Social Security Number: [social security number]

Date: _________________

STATE OF ________________________

COUNTY OF _______________________

This day personally appeared before me, the undersigned authority, a Notary Public in and for ______________ County,
___________________________State, ______________________________ _______________________________(Witnesses) who, being first being duly sworn, say that they are the subscribing witnesses to the declaration of [list name of declarant], the declarant, signed, sealed and published and declared the same as and for his declaration, in the presence of both these affiants; and that these affiants, at the request of said declarant, in the presence of each other, and in the presence of said declarant, all present at the same time, signed their names as attesting witnesses to said declaration.

Affiants further say that this affidavit is made at the request of [list name of declarant], declarant, and in his presence, and that [list name of declarant] at the time the declaration was executed, in the opinion of the affiants, of sound mind and memory, and over the age of eighteen years.

Taken, subscribed and sworn to before me by ____________

___________ (witness) and ____________________________ (witness)

this _______ day of __________________________________, 20_____.

My commission expires: __________________

___________________________________ Notary Public

Joz said:

If the DNR was in record when they resusitated her, the Doctors and Nurses that did resusitate her can be charged with Assault. You would have to prove that they knew of the document, but they can be charged. (We have to be aware of this when going to calls as a Volunteer Firefighter as well. If we know of a DNR and give care anyway we can be charged with Assault.)

no1tovote4 said:
If the DNR was in record when they resusitated her, the Doctors and Nurses that did resusitate her can be charged with Assault. You would have to prove that they knew of the document, but they can be charged. (We have to be aware of this when going to calls as a Volunteer Firefighter as well. If we know of a DNR and give care anyway we can be charged with Assault.)

How about a spouse who neglects a DNR request for 8 years?

Both of my parents had/have a 'living will'. I haven't gone & done this. I tho't of finding someone who would not benefit from my life, death, or be emotionally involved, to make the common sense decisions. But maybe not.

Joz said:
Both of my parents had/have a 'living will'. I haven't gone & done this. I tho't of finding someone who would not benefit from my life, death, or be emotionally involved, to make the common sense decisions. But maybe not.

Sometimes you cannot find somebody, but you can always appoint somebody you trust to carry out your wishes and then make it clear to them through extensive conversations. You can also write the Living Will in such a way as to be clear of your wishes. The problem with that one is that there are always scenarios that are not covered.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
no1tovote4 said:
.... The problem with that one is that there are always scenarios that are not covered.
You're probably right. It would be much easier for a child to carry this out for a parent. But for a parent to let go of a child..... there would probably be more aprehension.

My wife recently discovered that our living wills were outdated and no longer valid.

We obtained new copies on line and will file them this month.

That's one of the tragedies of the Terri Schiavo case. If she truly did not want to be kept alive in her present condition then we have more than half the country, the Congress, a governor and the President of the United States working feverishly to deny her wishes.

If she wanted to live at any cost, then they are doing her a great favor. If she did not, they are doing her a huge disservice.

But all this could have been avoided with a simple document. But when you're at the age when Terri had her episode, you don't think about the complications of dying because you still think you're pretty damned immortal.

My wife and i have discussed this subject.

As for my wishes...I told her this:

Keep me alive as long as you have hope. Use your best judgement. Just make the call, one way or another and don't look back. I'll hold no malice towards you for any reasonable action to make.

She feels the same. We have yet to get it on paper, however, which we will do shortly. We don't want our families to second-guess the judgement of either of us, and try some legal crap.

-=d=- said:
... We don't want our families to second-guess the judgement of either of us, and try some legal crap.
Very smart. Something we all should think about.....no matter what our age.

dilloduck said:
Amen---its like contesting a will----yucky business
When my son died, his father was asked if Zachary was an organ donor. We had never discussed such a thing....who knew.....
I couldn't have done it.

Joz said:
When my son died, his father was asked if Zachary was an organ donor. We had never discussed such a thing....who knew.....
I couldn't have done it.

My kids are...or will be. Same as the missus. We firmly believe the physical parts we have or don't have here on earth won't affect us in the next left. It goes back to wanting to make a difference in somebody's life...to find some silver lining in a tragedy. :(

-=d=- said:
My kids are...or will be. Same as the missus. We firmly believe the physical parts we have or don't have here on earth won't affect us in the next left. It goes back to wanting to make a difference in somebody's life...to find some silver lining in a tragedy. :(
I understand what you are saying. Once a person is dead, it's not like they're going to be using what's left. I agree, if you can make a difference, then do so. Zachary's dad nor I had discussed this. I was in no condition to make the decision.

Joz said:
I understand what you are saying. Once a person is dead, it's not like they're going to be using what's left. I agree, if you can make a difference, then do so. Zachary's dad nor I had discussed this. I was in no condition to make the decision.

Yup...I can imagine :(

Forum List

Back