Kenyan innovator invents smart hand gloves which turn sign language into audio speech

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The smart gloves - dubbed Sign-IO - have flex sensors that are placed on each finger and have the capacity to quantify the bend of a finger and process the letter being signed.

Using Bluetooth, the gloves are connected to a mobile application, that Allela also developed, which then converts the sign into audio speech.

"My niece wears the gloves, pairs them to her phone or mine, then starts signing and I'm able to understand what she's saying," says Allela.

Allela said the speed at which the signs are vocalized is one of the most important aspects of the smart gloves.

"People speak at different speeds and it's the same with people who sign - some are really fast, others are slow, so we integrated that into the mobile application so that it's comfortable for anyone to use it," he said.

Kenyan innovator invents smart hand gloves which turn sign language into audio speech

That is fantastic!

The smart gloves - dubbed Sign-IO - have flex sensors that are placed on each finger and have the capacity to quantify the bend of a finger and process the letter being signed.

Using Bluetooth, the gloves are connected to a mobile application, that Allela also developed, which then converts the sign into audio speech.

"My niece wears the gloves, pairs them to her phone or mine, then starts signing and I'm able to understand what she's saying," says Allela.

Allela said the speed at which the signs are vocalized is one of the most important aspects of the smart gloves.

"People speak at different speeds and it's the same with people who sign - some are really fast, others are slow, so we integrated that into the mobile application so that it's comfortable for anyone to use it," he said.

That is fantastic!

That is great!

I communicate with a deaf person that can somewhat talk. If that fails, he has a trusty pad handy.

I understand most of the time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back