Kennedy Wants Election Law Change

Ya'll are really stupid. Why would any state want their senate seat vacant for 5 months?

I can see it as a sticky wicket like when a senator is no longer physically or mentally able to serve and replacing him is sorta disrespectful and hurtful in a way, but the real world wouldn't bat an eye. They do this for judges too. The judges stay home and wither and a whole segment of the court is closed and the other judges have to take up the slack. It's just stupid.

there is a law that Teddy Kennedy asked for and got passed a few years back where you hold a special congressional election to fill a vacant seat. They put it in place because Kerry was running for Prez in 04 when Romney was our Governor. Prior to that the governor would appoint the person to the vacant seat.

Now that Kennedy is leaving and we have a democrat governor Devaul Patrick Kennedy is asking them to switch it back to governor appointment.

So there wouldn't be a vacancy for 5 months either way, the issue isn't a vacancy its the blatant hypocracy.

i wouldn't expect this to be a national political concern. Its local politics here in MA, i didn't make the thread i'm just someone speaking from inside the state the news orginated from.

Here's a compromise. See what you think. We reverse the law on the condition that the Kennedy family (including those who currently hold office) be banned from American politics forever.

i wouldn't expect this to be a national political concern. Its local politics here in MA, i didn't make the thread i'm just someone speaking from inside the state the news orginated from.

How is a US Senate seat local politics? Fill your damn seat. We all pitched in and made the fancy building with the dome and have electricity and running water and offices and desks and the big rooms to vote in with more desks and chairs. Have a lottery, pick a name out of a hat, draft somebody. Represent dammit.

"Prodded by a personal appeal from Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democratic legislative leaders have agreed to take up a stalled bill creating a special election process to replace US Senator John F. Kerry if he wins the presidency.
...National Democrats want the change to prevent Governor Mitt Romney from filling Kerry's seat with a Republican,"

Special election bill gets new life - The Boston Globe

fuck him, he should have resigned months ago.

How is a US Senate seat local politics? Fill your damn seat. We all pitched in and made the fancy building with the dome and have electricity and running water and offices and desks and the big rooms to vote in with more desks and chairs. Have a lottery, pick a name out of a hat, draft somebody. Represent dammit.

Missed Votes by Edward Kennedy | Congressional votes database | washingtonpost.com

Since Democrats have majority in both Houses, I guess they can change US election laws as suits them the best. Wouldn't be surprised if it exactly happen...

Forum List

Back