Ken Burns - "The West"

Just come across this. Is it worth my time?
I would have given anything to have lived in the west. Beef and beans round the campfire, rounding up steers and into town on Saturday night, sleeping it off in jail.
What a time to be alive.

Ken Burns is awesome and accurate. He is fantastic in bringing past voices and events into focus with accuracy. Cattle drives aren't all there is. If you are one of those people that has to have fast paced historical reenactment scenes then you won't dig it at all.

I'm female and there is just no way in hell that I would go back to that time period. I'm going to need some running water, air conditioning, washing machines, voting rights, plucked chickens. The good stuff.

And indoor plumbing, esp. the water closet.

Yes, and toilet paper as we know it today.

One word ... Dentistry.

4e11fb1d68716e74c2247703c527bfe5.jpg

yeah... Ken Burns "The West " is pretty good.

just to add....nothing to do with politics but everything to do with art.

And an insight into how we in the 21st Century are no different emotionally to our ancestors in the 19th century.

lol yeah right ... alcohol consumption was three times per capita what Europe's was, and domestic violence was rampant, which is why Prohibition was the major issue among women from the 1840's on, who suffered tremendously from it along with children. Burns fails to note most of the 'heroes' were drunk on their asses most of the time, something that the less well read would easily mistake for 'bravery' and 'heroism' and 'toughness'.

piece of shit.....I know .... that's all they deserve...not even funny ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

total scum

And an insight into how we in the 21st Century are no different emotionally to our ancestors in the 19th century.

lol yeah right ... alcohol consumption was three times per capita what Europe's was, and domestic violence was rampant, which is why Prohibition was the major issue among women from the 1840's on, who suffered tremendously from it along with children. Burns fails to note most of the 'heroes' were drunk on their asses most of the time, something that the less well read would easily mistake for 'bravery' and 'heroism' and 'toughness'.

He noted Sam Houston was a juice head. He doesn't hide it.

He tries to include as much as can be done in a general overview of history. Each group of people or event that he touches on never includes all there is to know about it. Ever.

He tries to include as much as can be done in a general overview of history. Each group of people or event that he touches on never includes all there is to know about it. Ever.

True, but not because he wants to hide anything.

I would have given anything to have lived in the west. Beef and beans round the campfire, rounding up steers and into town on Saturday night, sleeping it off in jail.
What a time to be alive.

It is not about the cowboy shoot out stuff you are used to
Burns spends a lot of time on telling the story of the Indians

I don't think he wants to hide anything. There are people that spend their whole lives studying one event, a group of people, an area, a specific time line etc. It's simply too much information to include in a broad topic.

I don't think he wants to hide anything. There are people that spend their whole lives studying one event, a group of people, an area, a specific time line etc. It's simply too much information to include.

True, as an undergrad I took "The West in American History"; during that course I was assigned to read, The Log of a Cowboy and, Little Big Man.

What a time to be alive.
There will be none of that nonsense from Ken Burns.

Everything Ken Burns has done is perfect, historically and technically. My two favorites were The Civil War and Baseball.
his baseball one was fantastic....

I don't think he wants to hide anything. There are people that spend their whole lives studying one event, a group of people, an area, a specific time line etc. It's simply too much information to include.

True, as an undergrad I took "The West in American History"; during that course I was assigned to read, The Log of a Cowboy and, Little Big Man.

It's a massive history to take out. I have several books that deal with different histories and primarily in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The Wild West and cattle drives was really only about 20 years long. Not that it wasn't wild beforehand or afterwards. It was a very diverse.

It's a massive history to take out. I have several books that deal with different histories and primarily in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The Wild West and cattle drives was really only about 20 years long. Not that it wasn't wild beforehand or afterwards. It was a very diverse.

You might enjoy The Log of the Cowboy

Up to episode 4 now. Learnt a lot. Roots of the Civil War in the west. Violence at the heart of politics, Mormons massacring wagon trains, two raids on Lawrence.
He doesnt make much of the Alamo defenders fighting for slavery but otherwise a fascinating watch.

Forum List

Back