Keith Olbermann talked to Rolling Stone's Matt Taibbi about another horrible idea

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
Keith Olbermann talked to Rolling Stone's Matt Taibbi about another really horrible idea that's apparently gaining bipartisan support with our politicians -- another one of these repatriation tax holidays where corporations are rewarded for offshoring their profits by being allowed to bring them back to America for rates as low as just over 5%.

As Matt pointed out here, this does nothing to create jobs as we saw from the last time they did this. They just pocketed their money and laid off their workers anyway. And it's counterproductive because allowing this to go on just encourages more of it. If they actually tied this to job creation, in the United States, and penalized them if they did not use the money to hire Americans, I might be able go get on board for them having their rates lowered to some extent, but I suspect the chances of that happening are somewhere between slim and none.

As Keith noted, maybe everyone should ask our members of Congress to read Matt's articles on the topic at Rolling Stone. They're going to be taking the next month off campaigning and fundraising, so I'm sure there will be plenty of time for their constituents to ask them about this at their town hall meetings.

Here's the latest from Matt at Rolling Stone -- Evil Corporate Tax Holiday Gains Bipartisan Support:

The madness that is the proposed tax repatriation holiday is continuing and gathering steam. More and more members of congress are coming out of the woodwork, scratching their chins in contemplative consideration as it were, pretending that they’ve just realized what a great day a corporate tax holiday would be – not that they’ve taken gazillions of dollars from the firms lobbying for it or anything.

The latest convert seems to be Nevada Democrat Shelley Berkley. Berkley’s plan is to offer a pseudo-holiday – not the full-fledged happy-ending massage the companies wanted (i.e. a reduction from 35 percent+ to 5.25 percent) but a mere ten-point shave... Read on...

Corporate Tax Holiday in Debt Ceiling Deal: Where's the Uproar?:

Have been meaning to write about this, but I’m increasingly amazed at the overall lack of an uproar about the possibility of the government approving another corporate tax repatriation holiday.

I’ve been in and out of DC a few times in recent weeks and one thing I keep hearing is that there is a growing, and real, possibility that a second “one-time tax holiday” will be approved for corporations as part of whatever sordid deal emerges from the debt-ceiling negotiations.

I passed it off as a bad joke when I first saw news of this a few weeks ago, when it was reported that Wall Street whipping boy Chuck Schumer was seriously considering the idea. Then I read later on that other Senators were jumping on the bandwagon, including North Carolina’s Kay Hagan.

This is what Hagan’s spokesperson said:

Senator Hagan is looking closely at any creative, short-term measures that can get bipartisan support and put people back to work. One such potential initiative is a well-crafted and temporary change to the tax code that encourages American companies to bring money home and put it towards capital, investment, and–most importantly–American jobs.

For those who don’t know about it, tax repatriation is one of the all-time long cons and also one of the most supremely evil achievements of the Washington lobbying community, which has perhaps told more shameless lies about this one topic than about any other in modern history – which is saying a lot, considering the many absurd things that are said and done by lobbyists in our nation’s capital.

read full story, see video Matt Taibbi: Corporate Tax Holiday Gaining Bipartisan Support | Video Cafe

So called "job creators" are actually "tax evaders" to the extent thatAl Capone is turning in his grave.

Doesn't sound near as horrible of an idea as looting 30% or more from those who want to get their money the hell out of this kleptocracy.

Kleptocracy.. :lol:

Why, exactly, do you hate the United States Constitution?

They don't like this country..and they want to do business overseas..

Fucking move.

Last edited:
There is no income tax or expatriation tax in the Constitution, tovarich.

Likewise, all direct taxes were to be apportioned to the states for collection, not just arbitrarily seized by federal goons.

Amendment 16 - Status of Income Tax Clarified. Ratified 2/3/1913. Note History

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Anything else you want to be wrong about schutzstaffel?

The 16th Amendment isn't part of the original document or the intent of lawful federal taxation.

Neither are the rest of the amendments.

And there's nothing about "intent" of Taxations in the Constitution other then to pay the debts of the United States of America.

Here's a refresher..

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Last edited:
We need tax incentives carefully crafted to get them hiring.

I say we target it at small business instead of large ones.

The 16th Amendment isn't part of the original document or the intent of lawful federal taxation.

Do you realize the founders planned the constitution this way?

They left the American people in charge and allowed for them to add to the contstitution as needed.

Why do you hate the government the founders left us?

The OP is about a plan ( a bad one) that claims it will spurn jobs.

I suggested a better way

And..again.

This is the sort of thing that led to massive off-shoring.

Why the heck are Tea Party terrorists advocating for it?

Oh yeah..forgot they are terrorists.

Forum List

Back