keep your nasty ass kids at home.....

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
University of Arizona researcher says you may want to grab one of those disinfectant wipes right before you grab a grocery cart.

Professor Charles Gerba, the lead researcher, swabbed the handles of 85 carts in four states for bacterial contamination.

Gerba says 72% of the carts had a positive marker for fecal bacteria. When they examined some of the samples, they found Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli, on half of them.

Researchers say they actually found more fecal bacteria on grocery cart handles than you would typically find in a bathroom, mainly because bathrooms are disinfected more often than shopping carts.

Carts one of dirtiest places in grocery store, study says - USATODAY.com

University of Arizona researcher says you may want to grab one of those disinfectant wipes right before you grab a grocery cart.

Professor Charles Gerba, the lead researcher, swabbed the handles of 85 carts in four states for bacterial contamination.

Gerba says 72% of the carts had a positive marker for fecal bacteria. When they examined some of the samples, they found Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli, on half of them.

Researchers say they actually found more fecal bacteria on grocery cart handles than you would typically find in a bathroom, mainly because bathrooms are disinfected more often than shopping carts.

We scrub them down with those wipes they have ware you grab the carts when you walk in. I have also seen many a babe sitting in a cart chewing on the cart handle.:puke:

It ain't about the kids Bones. It is about cart maintenance. Pretty fascist remark. ;)

no intense its about parents putting nasty ass kids in the carts to ride around.....snotty noses and all that implies.....

It ain't about the kids Bones. It is about cart maintenance. Pretty fascist remark. ;)

Na it is not fascist. This is a fascist

fas·cism (fshzm)
n.
1. often Fascism
a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

It is an issue of cleanliness, not politics.

no intense its about parents putting nasty ass kids in the carts to ride around.....snotty noses and all that implies.....

And you believe that in the history of shopping carts and rug rats that this is somehow a new phenomenon?

Hint: If dirty shopping carts haven't caused an epidemic yet, then they probably never will.

Last edited:
It's not just the kids.

It's unsettling how oft I hear someone leave the other stall and walk out the door without the sink ever getting turned on

Humans are filthy animals

Are you suggesting that in a Free Society there should be laws against taking your kids shopping??? Really??? Though I agree maybe, that certain people should not have children, I firmly believe it is a personal choice that Government should have no part in. Where people shop, and who they drag along is their business Bones. Medicating the kiddies with Ridlin is a poor solution too. I thought you were big on Freedom??? What's up here???

It's not just the kids.

It's unsettling how oft I hear someone leave the other stall and walk out the door without the sink ever getting turned on

Humans are filthy animals

Reminds me of this:

Two men were in the bathroom taking a piss. One zips up and washes his hands. The other zips up and heads for the door when the first guy says,

"My mother taught me to wash my hands after I piss."

To which the second answered, "My mother taught me not to piss on my hands."

Does this mean I shouldn't wipe my butt on a grocery cart?

o hell i am doomed anyways....hubby uses them cloth bags

Wasn't there a led contamination scandal with those bags ? I like the plastic ones. They are handy when walking the dog for picking up the poo. Here is the led thing-

Lead Found in More Reusable Shopping Bags
Concerns spread as so-called "green" shopping bags are found to be contaminated with lead.
Email Print RSS Share Facebook Twitter
walmart reusable bag

Bags like these may contain lead.
Photo: s76/ZUMA Press/Newscom

related articles

* 5 Ways Grocers Can Ensure Reusable Bags Don't Contain Lead
* Plastic Bag Bans Gain Traction
* Reusable Bags: Not So Eco-Friendly After All?
* Hero Bags: Reusable Shopping Totes
* Gift Idea: A Trendy Reusable Bag

By Brian Clark Howard

0diggsdigg
Buzz up!

In another widely publicized case of a green product turning out to have a dark side (similar to hysteria over mercury in CFLs and toxins in electric car batteries), regulators and companies are taking a closer look at reusable shopping bags. With calls for consumers and retailers alike to cut down on the waste associated with single-use plastic bags, many outlets have been offering up cheap reusable bags, often branded with the store logo. However, some of these products have been found to be contaminated with lead.

New York Senator Charles Schumer has called for an investigation into reusable grocery bags to determine if they contain lead. "Federal agencies need to put a ban in place for reusable bags that have lead in them," Schumer said in a statement. This follows an announcement that Florida-based Publix supermarkets found lead in some bags sold in the Tampa area, and has asked its New Jersey-based supplier, Team Beans LLC, to consider reducing the lead in the products.

According to The Ledger, independent lab tests on Publix's University of South Florida-branded reusable bags had found lead content of 194 parts per million (ppm). The bags are not currently being recalled, since that level of lead is below the current 300 ppm government standard (although that standard drops to 100 ppm of lead "in children's products" by August 2011, "if technologically feasible" according to the Consumer Product Safety Act of 2008).

The Daily Green spoke to Maria Brous, director of media and community relations, via phone. She confirmed that the store's "cloth-based reusable bags are not in question." She explained, "The one that came back from the lab was polypropylene." When we asked Brous if consumers should consider avoiding reusable polypropylene [number 5 plastic] bags now, she answered, "I think that's too early to say. We look at what the standard is, at 300 ppm, and this bag tested at 194. That's something more for the suppliers to look to." Brous confirmed that while the supplier is based in New Jersey, the bags may ultimately be made in China.

Brous added that those consumers concerned about bags bought at Publix can return them to a store for an exchange.

As a result of their investigation, The Tampa Tribune found lead in bags bought at Winn-Dixie, Publix, Sweetbay, Walmart and Target. (See actual ppm levels identified.)

In New York state, the Wegman's grocery store recently announced that it was pulling some types of reusable bags after tests found lead levels as high as 799 ppm, which is above even the previous standard of 600 ppm.

So what are consumers to do now? So far, most of the bags tested have come in below the current lead standard, so risk of harmful exposure seems pretty low. Sill, while tests are being done and regulators are taking a look at the industry, it might be prudent to choose reusable cloth bags over plastic ones. Or, if you can find bags that are made in America that may reduce the chance of lead contamination.

Read more: Lead in Reusable Shopping Bags - Lead Found in Grocery Bags - The Daily Green

Forum List

Back