Keep your damn dog on a leash

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
I'm on my way home from work, a quick stop at the store for a bottle of merlot, then rolling on down the road at about 38mph in a 35 zone.
There is a couple people walking down the sidewalk with their dogs.
Suddenly, one of them damn dogs darts into the street right in front.
There is another car to my left. I hit the brakes, swerve to the left as far as I can without hitting the other car.
The girl screams.
I never hear or feel the thump of hitting the dog. I have no idea how I managed to miss it, but I did. I guess I swerved just enough and slowed down just enough to not turn that dog into a bloody lump.
Keep your damned dog on a leash if it's too damn stupid to stay out of the street.

Last edited:
Damn, it's not your fault, so try not to lose sleep over it. People forget to easily, these laws are to protect the pets as much as anything.

Understand that, and the owner was not only irresponsible with respect to the safety of their pet, but with respect to your safety and other drivers (what might have happened) and possibly pedestrians. Obviously they don't care much about their pet, not to mention human life. No glibness meant by previous comment. Leash laws aren't just for keeping dogs off people's property (no shit) -- they're for the safety of the public, in more ways than one.

No kidding. My kids run blindly after anything that gets away...pets, dogs, anything. It could have been the kid that got hit.

I'm equally intolerant of assholes who won't put a leash on their dog.

Understand that, and the owner was not only irresponsible with respect to the safety of their pet, but with respect to your safety and other drivers (what might have happened) and possibly pedestrians. Obviously they don't care much about their pet, not to mention human life. No glibness meant by previous comment. Leash laws aren't just for keeping dogs off people's property (no shit) -- they're for the safety of the public, in more ways than one.

Personally, I don't know what the leash laws are in this city. I know we have some, I just don't know what they are.

Personally, I don't know what the leash laws are in this city. I know we have some, I just don't know what they are.

If there is a leash law, the basic idea is that the dog can't be off the owner's property with one. Case closed.

Well, if they try to sue you, look into it and find out what they are. If they broke them, then any intelligent judge would allow you to counter sue.

I'm on my way home from work, a quick stop at the store for a bottle of merlot, then rolling on down the road at about 38mph in a 35 zone.
There is a couple people walking down the sidewalk with their dogs.
Suddenly, one of them damn dogs darts into the street right in front.
There is another car to my left. I hit the brakes, swerve to the left as far as I can without hitting the other car.
The girl screams.
I never hear or feel the thump of hitting the dog. I have no idea how I managed to miss it, but I did. I guess I swerved just enough and slowed down just enough to not turn that dog into a bloody lump.
Keep your damned dog on a leash if it's too damn stupid to stay out of the street.

I agree. I was thinking about this the other night when I saw my neighbors out walking with their three dogs, none of them on a leash. You just never know when they're going to bolt.

Well, if they try to sue you, look into it and find out what they are. If they broke them, then any intelligent judge would allow you to counter sue.

Why would they try and sue me?

you're kidding, right?

john_edwards1.jpg

They didn't need the adrenaline rush of just about getting their dog killed....
Seriously, you could call the Health Dept. or the Police Dept. and report the incident, especially if you have an idea of the address of the owner. At the least, a complaint notice would be sent advising them of the law, and a further violation would probably result in a summons.

We have leash laws in the big city. :)

I'm not in the 'big city' but close enough to be aware. I'm in burbs. Everyone has a dog, damn near. I wouldn't think to let my precious out without a leash, any more than I'd walk her without a doo doo bag. Not only for good neighbor reason, but also the $300 fine. ;) Seriously, the dog needs walking, if we didn't cooperate for picking up doo doo, disease would likely break out.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Forum List

Back