Keep getting bumped from Yahoo Games!

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
What is wrong with my router settings on my computer? On both my hardwired desktop and my wireless lap top I can play on disk games for hours but lord forbid I try to play a game of chess or literati on yahoo games. This happens on other "over the web" Axis & Allies games also and I'm talking the simple ones, not even Warcraft 3.

Also when I watch Netflix movies I probably get 1 interruption to change my connection speed. To remove that interruption I need to use the refresh option. Its not much an annoyance but maybe a clue.

I am still running:
XP Service Pack 2
P4 2.70GHZ
2.25GB RAM

If it helps with what advice to give me, my experience level is moderate. At the small business I work for I install the RAM or drive upgrades in the PC's. I haven't reinstalled windows ever which might be a sign I know how not to mess something up.

clean your cookies and that should solve the yahoo problem.....if you will notice at the beginning for a brief sec.....a java script loads..what they have done is block that....try a clean and defrag...or a restore....should solve it

how far do you get into the games...the java block normally blocks you from the room...i play spades...i can get into the main forum but then when i try to enter the small forum ...that is where the java loads...i will be blocked

I can get fairly far into the games. Several minutes into a good chess game for example.

ooooo you are getting bumped mid game....that is either yahoo....but you say it happens a lot....sometimes i get bumped by yahoo...sometimes i get bumped when the room gets full...and everyone else is on cable....and i am on hughes net....

I'm one of them cable folks lol. Other than this I'm thrilled with my high speed. Just ran a checkers game for five minutes then got bumped

Thanks for your time. Beware of me in the game rooms! I'm the guy who will go unresponsive after 5 minutes.

A couple of things:

When was the last time you defraged?
When was the last time you did a registry clean?
What browser are you using and when was the last time you cleared cookies and the temp file?
And how full is your hard drive?

Last edited:
A couple of things:

What browser are you using and when was the last time you cleared cookies and the temp file?
Defraged about a month ago.

Registry clean? Hmmm......about to go do that.

Them cookies and temps I keep empty!

Hard drive is sitting around 1/2 maybe 60 out of 120 gigs used.

The experiment I'm currently running is changing my router from a dynamic IP address to a static one.....

A couple of things:

Defraged about a month ago.

Registry clean? Hmmm......about to go do that.

Them cookies and temps I keep empty!

Hard drive is sitting around 1/2 maybe 60 out of 120 gigs used.

The experiment I'm currently running is changing my router from a dynamic IP address to a static one.....

Okay. What's your wireless security protocol, WEP or WP2? that leading to the next question is who's your ISP? The other potential issue is with you router and software, you probably need to download SP3 for XP. Now that I think about it that could be the cause of the problem, the old SP2 doesn't have the upgraded drivers and if your ISP upgraded the router software or their utility service software it could be in conflict with some of your older OS drivers.

On a side note what defrag and registry cleaning programs do you have?
What browser are you using?
Are you having issues with anything else? CMOS keeping the time correctly?
The best way I found to clean temp files was type" %TEMP% on the run line, when the file pops up, choose edit - select all - hit the delete key.

Okay. What's your wireless security protocol, WEP or WP2? that leading to the next question is who's your ISP? The other potential issue is with you router and software, you probably need to download SP3 for XP. Now that I think about it that could be the cause of the problem, the old SP2 doesn't have the upgraded drivers and if your ISP upgraded the router software or their utility service software it could be in conflict with some of your older OS drivers.

The best way I found to clean temp files was type" %TEMP% on the run line, when the file pops up, choose edit - select all - hit the delete key.

Last night I played checkers for a few hours without getting bumped after changing to a "static IP address". I'll try again later to see if it still works flawlessly.

I'm running WEP security.
My ISP is Charter, a cable company.
I almost always use Firefox, but have tried out of IE and Chrome.
It keeps time correctly enough. I can't remember if its set to update itself off the internet.

Here I go looking for SP3 and to clean the TEMP files after I get back on my desktop.

Last night I played checkers for a few hours without getting bumped after changing to a "static IP address". I'll try again later to see if it still works flawlessly.

I'm running WEP security.
My ISP is Charter, a cable company.
I almost always use Firefox, but have tried out of IE and Chrome.
It keeps time correctly enough. I can't remember if its set to update itself off the internet.

Here I go looking for SP3 and to clean the TEMP files after I get back on my desktop.

Depending on what protocol (and version) the ISP is using could have been the challenge. I ran into that with my wifes' Vista machine when we switched from Comcast to Verizon Fios. We tried different static addresses which would work for a little bit then drop signal again. Eventually I hard wired her computer to the router and had no further problems but that was a Vista conflict with their wireless protocol.
Most protocols are now set to work with XP SP3 and Vista, I'm assuming they'll work with 7 but I haven't checked it out yet.
WEP is the basic security protocol and can be hacked within 30 seconds by a novice hacker, WP2 provides much greater security and is much harder to hack when set up properly. Since I didn't want to mess with it all my desktops are now hard wired and the only wireless I use are laptops that I keep no personal info on, the most secure connection there is.
The reason I asked about the CMOS battery is I had a computer once that started having multiple issues when the battery was dieing until I replaced the battery. One of the other things I do to speed up my computers is I never store files I'm not using on my hard drive, I put them on CDs or flash drives and I don't load my desktop with shortcuts (icons) which slows down boot time and search functions.
My basic add ons for Firefox are Ghostery, Adblock and WOT they do a great job of protecting you while browsing, I use Glary Utilities for registry clean +++ and Smart Defrag which blows away the standard defrag that comes with your OS. Both can safely be downloaded for free from the CNet
Hope that helps.

Forum List

Back