Keep DeLay, OR Pay the Price

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Keep DeLay, or pay the price
Tony Blankley

April 13, 2005

I understand why the Democrats are going after Tom DeLay. Snakes gotta slither, mosquitoes gotta bite, hyenas gotta laugh, and Democrats without a blooming idea in their heads gotta go negative.

I also understand why the New York Times is out soliciting Bob Livingston to write an attack op-ed against Delay (he refused), and why they report legal, ethical, common and specifically Ethics Committee-approved activity like Delay employing relatives on his campaign -- as if it were a crime. The owner and staff of that once great paper are so overwhelmingly committed to the Democratic Party that they are willing to destroy in a short decade the paper's reputation, which was over a hundred years in the making -- to advance the great cause of soft-headed liberalism. (There must be ancient Sulzbergers and Timesmen in their graves crying yet-human tears at the sight of their heirs' profligacy.)

But, as to the couple of Republicans up for re-election in a difficult Northeast district and state who, in the name of their consciences, have said slightly rude things about the majority leader of their party, I can only quote that shrewd discerner of character, Oscar Wilde: "Conscience is but the name which cowardice Fleeing the battle scrawls upon its shield."

I have been a card-carrying Republican since 1963, when my candidate Barry Goldwater suggested cutting off the northeast and letting it float out to sea. It was a good idea back then, and it still has some merit. Too many Republicans up there are born without backbones -- which in the Republican Party is a communicable disease. Any other Republicans currently feeling their knee muscles turning to jelly should wrap their knees tightly, stick a ramrod up their dorsal side and get back in the fight.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/tonyblankley/printtb20050413.shtml

dilloduck said:
Amen--too many chicken littles running around here. If your gonna stand for something you can't be afaid to get your hands a little dirty.

I think this is the problem with Republicans, they never stick together, Dems do no matter how dirty their feet get.

That old cliche a divided house can't stand applies here.

Bonnie said:
I think this is the problem with Republicans, they never stick together, Dems do no matter how dirty their feet get.

Was that sacrcasm ? Kerry, Hillary and Mr. Yeeeehaa are hardly a
representation of unitity. Nor are Mc Cain and Bush.

In congress the Republican party has shown more discipline to vote along
party line then the Democrats when they where in control.

Because of the fiscal problems due to the war on terror it is true
the the isolationist and libertarian conservatives had enough of the deficits
and are willing to openly disagree. Bush as a lame duck president can be attacked now without hurting their chances for the next presidential election.

The opposition is deeply divided imo because they already have a fight
for the next presidential race at their hands. THe old CLintonites are setting
up the stage for Hillary and the other powerplayers in the party try to prevent that. IT will be ugly not to mention that the Republican party will go nuts over it too.

noscarcasm...Was that sacrcasm ? Kerry, Hillary and Mr. Yeeeehaa are hardly a
representation of unitity. Nor are Mc Cain and Bush.

Maybe behind the scenes, but in public the Dems are absolutely brilliant with the lock step talking points when delaing with the press and putting anyone who dares criticize them on the defensive.

Republicans have not mastered that art yet? They turn on their own at the least little sign of trouble whether it's warranted or not.
Remember Trent Lott? You had Senator former KKK denouncing Mr Lott for a stupis off the cuff remark at a birthday party and Republicans did nothing to stand up for him nor did they point out all the hypocrisy coming from Dems on this.

Trent Lott is a good counterexample.

Anyone has the inside scoop why the president and congress got rid
of him so fast?

nosarcasm said:
Trent Lott is a good counterexample.

Anyone has the inside scoop why the president and congress got rid
of him so fast?

I think they just gave into media pressure. I remember Bush making a half hearted attempt at support for him but Lott was the sacrificial lamb.

The Democrats do this, they pick one person of their opposition, the dig up some minor dirt on them, then with the help of the media they do daily assualts and create so much heat that Republicans cave into the pressure instead of standing firm and making it go away. Not good!

I was trying to think of one Democrat that this has happenend to and I can't think of one. And there have been many that deserved it much more than Lott or Gingrich.

Bonnie said:

I see your point, but speaking personally that's one of the things that I find more appealing about the Republican party. They aren't afraid to publicly disgree about something. One of the things that has turned me off of the Dems is the fact that one of them says something and most of the others fall in line, even if it makes them look hypocritical. The Dems that won't completely fall in line have to keep their mouth shut or be marked and outcast of the party.

As far as Tom Delay, if all the accusations are true, it could warrent his resignation. However, if he is expected to resign, there needs to be several resignations following his, starting with Ted Kennedy. It never ceases to amaze me how the Democrats have the gall to bring up morals and ethics when some of the people in their own party have none.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I see your point, but speaking personally that's one of the things that I find more appealing about the Republican party. They aren't afraid to publicly disgree about something. One of the things that has turned me off of the Dems is the fact that one of them says something and most of the others fall in line, even if it makes them look hypocritical. The Dems that want completely fall in line have to keep their mouth shut or be marked and outcast of the party.

As far as Tom Delay, if all the accusations are true, it could warrent his resignation. However, if he is expected to resign, there needs to be several resignations following his, starting with Ted Kennedy. It never ceases to amaze me how the Democrats have the gall to bring up morals and ethics when some of the people in their own party have none.
Ya gotta understand---the evil that THEY do is to stop the GOP. :duh3:

dilloduck said:
Ya gotta understand---the evil that THEY do is to stop the GOP. :duh3:

Yeah, I understand that. For the most part, they have made their goal to not only stop the GOP but to stop Bush. I feel that's one of the reasons the Dems did so poorly in the last election. The only message anyone gets from them is "We don't like them and we want to stop them", whereas the message that comes from the Republicans is "We want to do what we think is best for the country". Rather than learn from that, the Democrats are now treating everyday like an election year and, if anything, have increased that line of thinking.

dissent among the ranks of Republicans makes it easier for them too. Apparently now we have the shotgun approach with DeLay, Bolton, Negroponte, judicial nominees,SS reform all being attacked and using the religious right wing to try to smear a little shit on everyone !!!

Jimmyeatworld said:
Yeah, I understand that. For the most part, they have made their goal to not only stop the GOP but to stop Bush. I feel that's one of the reasons the Dems did so poorly in the last election. The only message anyone gets from them is "We don't like them and we want to stop them", whereas the message that comes from the Republicans is "We want to do what we think is best for the country". Rather than learn from that, the Democrats are now treating everyday like an election year and, if anything, have increased that line of thinking.

For sure I don't condone illegal behavior on either side of the aisle, but there is a line at which I think should be drawn on when going after someone such as DeLay for so called common ethics violations when the other side is doing the same or worse. It's up to the Republican party to look after their own in cases like this. I have always felt the GOP never fights dirty enough meaning they are never as vocal or vigilant with the press as the Democrats are, they need to be more on the offense than the defense, if they don't get this they will fail in 2006 and worse in 2008. The GOP has been getting picked off one by one for years. The Dems don't have to have the majority in power they use the power of the press and they use it very well, and of course the press is all too willing.

Bonnie said:
For sure I don't condone illegal behavior on either side of the aisle, but there is a line at which I think should be drawn on when going after someone such as DeLay for so called common ethics violations when the other side is doing the same or worse. It's up to the Republican party to look after their own in cases like this. I have always felt the GOP never fights dirty enough meaning they are never as vocal or vigilant with the press as the Democrats are, they need to be more on the offense than the defense, if they don't get this they will fail in 2006 and worse in 2008. The GOP has been getting picked off one by one for years. The Dems don't have to have the majority in power they use the power of the press and they use it very well, and of course the press is all too willing.
good strategy by the dems tho----take pot shots at the guy who pulls everything together for the GOP. They look like scattering chickens without a leader.

dilloduck said:
good strategy by the dems tho----take pot shots at the guy who pulls everything together for the GOP. They look like scattering chickens without a leader.

True enough.........I just think the Republicans need to exchange their cahonies (sp) for a brass set otherwise they will be next in the Dems crosshairs for grabbing a barmaid's ass in college.

Bonnie said:
True enough.........I just think the Republicans need to exchange their cahonies (sp) for a brass set otherwise they will be next in the Dems crosshairs for grabbing a barmaid's ass in college.

Thems some mighty big and bad words coming from a cute little thing like yourself ! :p:

Jimmyeatworld said:
I see your point, but speaking personally that's one of the things that I find more appealing about the Republican party. They aren't afraid to publicly disgree about something. One of the things that has turned me off of the Dems is the fact that one of them says something and most of the others fall in line, even if it makes them look hypocritical. The Dems that won't completely fall in line have to keep their mouth shut or be marked and outcast of the party.

I agree. To back someone that is 'wrong' is wrong in and of itself. I will never understand the dems that could not understand that obstruction of justice is an impeachable offense. Most republicans understood that Nixon had to go.

If Delay is proven to have done something worthy of removal, which I have yet to see, then he should go.

The Democrats slaughtered any concept of right and wrong upon the altar of political expediency long ago.

Forum List

Back