'Keep An Eye On Diyala'

Well we don't. Now what do you suggest as our next best move?

I think we should pull our troops to the borders and use them to interdict the resupply of men and munitions to the sectarian militias.... we should give the Iraqi government a date certain when we will be leaving and then stick to it.

We have a war to fight against real enemies who seek to do America harm...we should start fighting it instead of refereeing a civil war in Iraq between two groups neither of whom attacked us and neither of whom seeks to attack us in the future.

I think we should pull our troops to the borders and use them to interdict the resupply of men and munitions to the sectarian militias.... we should give the Iraqi government a date certain when we will be leaving and then stick to it.

We have a war to fight against real enemies who seek to do America harm...we should start fighting it instead of refereeing a civil war in Iraq between two groups neither of whom attacked us and neither of whom seeks to attack us in the future.

To the borders of what? Syria? Iran? Saudi Arabia ?

all of the above, of course. are you suggesting that we are clueless as to the supply routes for the armament that fuels this conflict?

Spreading troops out all along the Iraqi border is logistical and tactical insanity. Do you presume to know the complete US battle strategy already in place?

Spreading troops out all along the Iraqi border is logistical and tactical insanity. Do you presume to know the complete US battle strategy already in place?

I never said we had to spread them out along the entire border. Do you honestly think that it would take american soldiers holding hands from one end of Iraq's borders to the other to significantly impact the flow of men and munitions into the sectarian civil war?

And no... I do NOT know the battle strategy...do you recall where you asked ME to provide my suggested alternative? What does MY proposed alternative have to do with a strategy already in place?

Why don't you figure out what you really would like me to tell you or what you think you would like to tell me and then get back to me.

I never said we had to spread them out along the entire border. Do you honestly think that it would take american soldiers holding hands from one end of Iraq's borders to the other to significantly impact the flow of men and munitions into the sectarian civil war?

And no... I do NOT know the battle strategy...do you recall where you asked ME to provide my suggested alternative? What does MY proposed alternative have to do with a strategy already in place?

Why don't you figure out what you really would like me to tell you or what you think you would like to tell me and then get back to me.

I asked, as many have, for a view of any alternative plan. You gave one and I challenged it. We have X amount of troops. Where do you plan to take them from to cover the border crossings and are you sure that effort isn't already underway?

I asked, as many have, for a view of any alternative plan. You gave one and I challenged it. We have X amount of troops. Where do you plan to take them from to cover the border crossings and are you sure that effort isn't already underway?

I would take them from the midst of the sectarian violence where we are easy targets for both sides. And I am pretty sure that THAT is NOT already underway, given the fact that the "surge" is designed to place 21.5K americans precisely where I think they should be removed from.

I firmly believe that sunnis and shiites are going to kill each other until they can no longer stomach the carnage.... and nothing we can do from in the midst of that will stop that process from reaching its own conclusion. What we COULD do is to help interdict resupply....

Dillo

What's your plan?

To point out that all these armchair generals have no better of a strategy than what's currently underway. You understand that our military hasn't just mailed out the entire game plan to the world I assume. My exit stategy----to win and keep a couple huge bases there.

To point out that all these armchair generals have no better of a strategy than what's currently underway. You understand that our military hasn't just mailed out the entire game plan to the world I assume. My exit stategy----to win and keep a couple huge bases there.

tell me what "victory" in Iraq looks like to you.

I would take them from the midst of the sectarian violence where we are easy targets for both sides. And I am pretty sure that THAT is NOT already underway, given the fact that the "surge" is designed to place 21.5K americans precisely where I think they should be removed from.

I firmly believe that sunnis and shiites are going to kill each other until they can no longer stomach the carnage.... and nothing we can do from in the midst of that will stop that process from reaching its own conclusion. What we COULD do is to help interdict resupply....

Are you sure they're being targeted by both sides ? If they are then the amount of American casualties is incredibly light. Just how much are you REALLY sure of ? I would be hard pressed to explain to you exactly what the overall battle strategy is over there which is NOT to say that there isn't one.

The bases I can see. The win? Other than levelling the place, how do you win?

The bases I can see. The win? Other than levelling the place, how do you win?

It all depends on what you goal is. You can't honestly tell me that our war efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq hasn't put some severe pressure on our enemies. No more sitting back all comfy planning the next attack or KABOOM !

It all depends on what you goal is. You can't honestly tell me that our war efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq hasn't put some severe pressure on our enemies. No more sitting back all comfy planning the next attack or KABOOM !

I think it's created a lot more enemies. I don't think they sit back comfortably doing a thing. I think they are quite clinical...

I think it's created a lot more enemies. I don't think they sit back comfortably doing a thing. I think they are quite clinical...

With the Dems in DC trying to enact their slow bleed plan, why should the terrorists fight?

The Dems are winning the war for them

I know---we hear that claim all the time. And when the WTC was attacked THEY created a lot more enemies--bla bla bla. Let's face it---there wasn't a whole lotta love going on anywhere when all this shit started. I agree. Some are clinically planning terror attacks. At the same time there are thousands of dead ones who were skilled and trained. Pressure is on them to train an finance more---our job is to stop them. I hope we do.

Course they are. They also cause cancer, train wrecks and sunk the Titanic...

NBC: Iraqis Want U.S. to Stay and Insurgents Counting on Help from War Opponents
Posted by Brent Baker on March 5, 2007 - 21:25.
Visiting Iraq, NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams learned from Army officers that Iraqis want U.S. forces to remain in their country, from NBC News Baghdad reporter Richard Engel that Al-Sadr's insurgents have stepped down and are counting on pressure from anti-war opponents to provide them with victory, and from retired General and NBC News military analyst Wayne Downey that U.S. troops are proud of their mission. Traveling with Lieutenant General Ray Odierno for stories on his Monday newscast, Williams ran a clip of Army Colonel John Charlton proclaiming that Iraqis “do not want us to leave” and a soundbite from Army Lt. Colonel Charles Ferry who asserted: "The people here are very glad to see us.” Williams marveled: "You just said, 'They don't want us to leave.' That's the tenth time today I've heard that. I've got to go back to the States and do a newscast that every night has another politician or 12 of them saying, 'We have got to get out of that godforsaken place.'"

To explain the decrease violence in Baghdad, Engel noted how “the militia decided they fought the U.S. two-and-a-half years ago, didn't have a lot of success. They decided this time they're going to wait it out, see if political pressure in the U.S. can help them win this time." Downey related how “every soldier that I ran across today I asked him: 'How do you feel about what's going on,” and “without exception -- this was spontaneous, especially when you start talking to PFCs and Spec 4s, they're going to tell you the truth, no party line. Very proud of what they're doing. Very, very dedicated.”

During his first story on his trip, as aired on the March 5 NBC Nightly News, Williams related:

“This is what the General heard today about how warmly the locals now view the Americans.”

U.S. Army Colonel John Charlton: "They do not want us to leave. They want to see the police come through.”

U. S. Army Lt. Colonel Charles Ferry: “The people here are very glad to see us. They are very hesitant still because they're not sure if we're going to stay. They want us to stay.”

Voice of Odierno?: “That's the issue.”

Ferry: “That's the whole deal. If we stay down here and to keep beating down the insurgents."

Brian Williams, to one or more of the officers: “You just said, 'They don't want us to leave.' That's the tenth time today I've heard that. I've got to go back to the States and do a newscast that every night has another politician or 12 of them saying, 'We have got to get out of that godforsaken place.'”

Odierno: "They can talk about policy, okay, and that's what they have to do back there. My mission right now is to provide protection for the Iraqi people so this government can grow."

http://newsbusters.org/node/11212

Are you sure they're being targeted by both sides ? If they are then the amount of American casualties is incredibly light. Just how much are you REALLY sure of ? I would be hard pressed to explain to you exactly what the overall battle strategy is over there which is NOT to say that there isn't one.

are you suggesting that Americans have not been killed by members of Sadr's militia? And I understand that you don't know shit about the overall battle strategy..... you don't need to highlight that self evident fact for me.

are you suggesting that Americans have not been killed by members of Sadr's militia? And I understand that you don't know shit about the overall battle strategy..... you don't need to highlight that self evident fact for me.

and what do you know about overall battle strategy except wanting to crawl away on your belly from Iraq

Forum List

Back