'Keep An Eye On Diyala'

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Watching some of the areas being brought up at statfor, strategy page, and now this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070309/ts_nm/iraq_usa_troops_dc

2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Diyala is now a problem? hmmmmm

and I thought that the addition of 21.5K in Baghdad and Anbar was all that was needed to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse...to turn this bloody sectarian carnage into a multicultural Jeffersonian democracy.....

the surge is going well, it would seem.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Did you read the article? Those on the ground in Iraq seem to think it's improving. You are not implying that those there know less than those at 'home' regardless of their experiences in the past?

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I did read your article and I think that your portrayal of that article as saying that "those on the ground in Iraq seem to think it's improving " is nothing short of brilliant and creative fiction.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I misread this:

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    you didn't misread it necessarily, but to characterize someone pointing out that the violence had shifted to another area of Iraq as a situation that was "improving" is just a tad too koolaid soaked for me to buy into.

7. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    CNN Reporter: Artificial Iraq Deadline 'Serves Only America's Enemies'
    Posted by Mark Finkelstein on March 8, 2007 - 16:08.
    Something is happening on the ground in Iraq. Something that even certain representatives of the MSM can't deny. Earlier this week, as NewsBusters noted here and here, NBC's Brian Williams, reporting from Iraq, offered some unusually positive observations. Now comes this eye-opening exchange from earlier this afternoon on CNN International between host Jim Clancy and correspondent Michael Ware, also reporting from Iraq:

JIM CLANCY: "The Democrats are pressing for a deadline, be it at the end of 2007, 2008 to bring all U.S. troops home. How is that going to affect General Petraeus, the Iraqi government and the Iraqis themselves?"

MICHAEL WARE: "Well, Jim, certainly in terms of the Iraqis and the war that's being fought in the streets and the deserts of this country, I mean, what's happening over there, what the Democrats are saying about timetables may as well be happening on the planet Pluto for all that it counts, to the bloodshed and endless combat that we're seeing day in, day out. All that it does, anyone setting time frames like that without real pre-conditions, anyone trying to put artificial deadlines upon this conflict is only aiding the enemies, so-called, of America, al Qaeda and Iran. It allows them some leverage to know when to put the pressure on, to know that the clock is ticking and to know where the pressure points are.

WARE: "So, in terms of the battle, day-to-day here, General Petraeus isn't looking more forward than five or six months. He's trying to make this surge work. But in terms of the broader strategic framework, it serves only America's enemies."

Nancy & Harry, are you listening?

http://newsbusters.org/node/11288

8. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    so...rd stats rul.... if the bloodshed and carnage is continuing at the same rate as it is now by mid-summer, will you admit that the surge has not worked?

oh...by the way... it was not surprising in the least to see you resort to tangential arguments made with the words of others rather than actually try to put a string of words together yourself.

9. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Just as I expected. Even when a reporter from the Clinton News Network reports postie news and says how the Dems are helping the terrorists - you being a loyal member of the jackass party - you still ignore the facts and attack the messenger

10. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

why are you so afraid of answering simple questions?

let me try again:

if the bloodshed and carnage is continuing at the same rate as it is now by mid-summer, will you admit that the surge has not worked?

yes or no?