Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials the displaced people need, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/07/D8CFH5F00.html
---

Not sure what I think about this.

i don't think this is a wise idea. give them supplies yes. give them money....

i don't think this is a wise idea. give them supplies yes. give them money....
i was thinking along the same lines. i mean its a good idea and all, but think about this one for a moment. fruad, theft, and all the other good things that are going to happen.
nothing like a good old natural disaster to bring the cream of the crop out :bat:

Johnney said:
i was thinking along the same lines. i mean its a good idea and all, but think about this one for a moment. fruad, theft, and all the other good things that are going to happen.
nothing like a good old natural disaster to bring the cream of the crop out :bat:

I wonder how long before somebody buys a gun w/ that debit card, shoots somebody, then either the vicitm's family or the perp blame the government for 'enabling' the shooting.

-=d=- said:
I wonder how long before somebody buys a gun w/ that debit card, shoots somebody, then either the vicitm's family or the perp blame the government for 'enabling' the shooting.

Add to that the fact that they used the gun to steal other debit cards...

This has way too many unforseen problems.

GotZoom said:
Add to that the fact that they used the gun to steal other debit cards...

This has way too many unforseen problems.
yeah, its going to get ugly thats for sure. :firing: :firing:

-=d=- said:
How would you know that unless you have forseen them? :D

I speculate on the unforseen. For, with unforseen, you can't predict what they might be. With forseen (not to be confused with foreskin), you can imagine the forseen, as it is logically...seen. Where, unforseen, is not seen, but only imagined.

Of course, depending on what was not forseen, but discovered after the fact, could be disappointing that it wasn't seen while it was happening.

Example, if you should receive a phone call, detailing activities that happened earlier during the day - had you forseen one or two of those activities, you possibly would have wanted to being able to "see" those activities as they happened.

GotZoom said:
I speculate on the unforseen. For, with unforseen, you can't predict what they might be. With forseen (not to be confused with foreskin), you can imagine the forseen, as it is logically...seen. Where, unforseen, is not seen, but only imagined.

Of course, depending on what was not forseen, but discovered after the fact, could be disappointing that it wasn't seen while it was happening.

Example, if you should receive a phone call, detailing activities that happened earlier during the day - had you forseen one or two of those activities, you possibly would have wanted to being able to "see" those activities as they happened.

thats a little deep for this early inthe afternoon...
(bet you didnt foresee that)

wow, let's give them a 50 bag of cocaine too! yeah. christ... like they don't already have 2k for selling the plasma tv's they stole and sold. this is THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE THING I'VE HEARD YET.

soon I will have absolutely no respect whatsoever for the government.

I'm so furious over this I can't even compose my thoughts in a way that can be understood.. it's just all curse words at this point. your house drifts off and you get 2k. great. are there any rewards for going to college, working, paying taxes and voting?

guess not. well, I'm off to have 12 kids and sell crack. maybe between street profit and taxpayers' money I can afford that hummer H2 with 24" gold rims! hello welfare line!

From what I've heard they are going to do this on an as needed basis. I read if people have insurance covering their expenses than they arn't going to get the money. This makes perfect sense to me. Many people who rent don't carry renters insurance so they've lost everything, my heart goes out to these people since they have nothing left.

Most of the people affected by the hurricane are law abiding citizens who have or had jobs and families. The news stories showed us the dregs of society in New Orleans. These criminals will always be a part of our society. Many people were affected in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana, lets not act like the few idiots running around looting are the only ones getting the 2 thousand.

Also The money is for essentials like food and clothing.

how do they intend to know who got cards and who didn't? I guess this will just be another opportunity for the 'tragedy victims" to capitalize on the govts' stupidity. what else is new.

Bush won't stop until the entire country files chapter 11.

One more little thing. Although the media would like us to believe that the only ones affected were poor and black that just isn't the case. Biloxi Miss. is mostly white, Bay St. Louise is very rich and mostly white. New Orleans, parrish, is 35% white and the outlying areas are majority white. Most of the well off and white people didn't get stuck in the aftermath of the hurricane, but that doesn't mean they didn't loose everything and have no job to go back to. Also if they didn't carry flood insurance or renters insurance on their houses and appartments they aren't going to get a darn thing.

GotZoom said:
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials the displaced people need, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/07/D8CFH5F00.html
---

Not sure what I think about this.

I want one. Need some tile!

Trigg said:
From what I've heard they are going to do this on an as needed basis. I read if people have insurance covering their expenses than they arn't going to get the money. This makes perfect sense to me. Many people who rent don't carry renters insurance so they've lost everything, my heart goes out to these people since they have nothing left.

Most of the people affected by the hurricane are law abiding citizens who have or had jobs and families. The news stories showed us the dregs of society in New Orleans. These criminals will always be a part of our society. Many people were affected in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana, lets not act like the few idiots running around looting are the only ones getting the 2 thousand.

Also The money is for essentials like food and clothing.

I see your point however if there were any decent people stranded amongst the rouble the news camera sure didn't get them on tape. I am sure there are law following citizens that were affected. I'm not doubting that... I'm just saying in order to get a card, you should need a W2 and drivers license.

whatever.. the whole thing is just a mess. my heart goes out to any hard working person that was affected as well. as far as renters insurance goes, that's not my problem. it's your own responsibility to look after yourself. George W isn't everyones father, nor is the rest of the country. I have rented and carried insurance. It's the only intelligent thing to do if you care about what you've worked hard to get.

My main gripe is that my kids and their kids will be responsible for this debt and if we kepp burning up 60billion plus on natural disaster, were going to be out of money.. oh wait, we've been out of money ever since the dawning. nothing new I suppose.

I think it's time to stop squandering cash and start repaying it and fixing the problem.

move_right said:
I see your point however if there were any decent people stranded amongst the rouble the news camera sure didn't get them on tape. I am sure there are law following citizens that were affected. I'm not doubting that... I'm just saying in order to get a card, you should need a W2 and drivers license.

whatever.. the whole thing is just a mess. my heart goes out to any hard working person that was affected as well. as far as renters insurance goes, that's not my problem. it's your own responsibility to look after yourself. George W isn't everyones father, nor is the rest of the country. I have rented and carried insurance. It's the only intelligent thing to do if you care about what you've worked hard to get.

My main gripe is that my kids and their kids will be responsible for this debt and if we kepp burning up 60billion plus on natural disaster, were going to be out of money.. oh wait, we've been out of money ever since the dawning. nothing new I suppose.

I think it's time to stop squandering cash and start repaying it and fixing the problem.

Ok, so if I don't carry renter's insurance. Or Flood insurance, if I own. YOU want to pick up the tab for me? Cool.

I skipped two houses, in the flood plain. This being DuPage County, I doubt very much any political entity would have mercy on us.

move_right said:

They didn't get them on tape in New Orleans, Miss. did a good job of taking care of their own problems since they were being largly ignored by the press.
I agree with your point on the W2, people who are on welfair are already being supported by the gov.

Flood insurance in New Orleans would be logical, but. Most people in a tornado or hurricane situation don't loose the entire city they live in and are able to go back to work even if they have no place to live. The people in New Orleans have no work to go back to, at least in Miss. and Alabama they can go back to work at some point.

My main gripe is that my kids and their kids will be responsible for this debt and if we kepp burning up 60billion plus on natural disaster, were going to be out of money.. oh wait, we've been out of money ever since the dawning. nothing new I suppose. I think it's time to stop squandering cash and start repaying it and fixing the problem.

I agree again. It makes me sick to watch our national dept just keep rising and it doesn't seem to matter who's in charge of the presidency either. This country needs to get a grip on it's spending before it's to late. What we need is an accountant in the white house instead of a politician.

Trigg said:
move_right said:

They didn't get them on tape in New Orleans, Miss. did a good job of taking care of their own problems since they were being largly ignored by the press.
I agree with your point on the W2, people who are on welfair are already being supported by the gov.

Flood insurance in New Orleans would be logical, but. Most people in a tornado or hurricane situation don't loose the entire city they live in and are able to go back to work even if they have no place to live. The people in New Orleans have no work to go back to, at least in Miss. and Alabama they can go back to work at some point.

My main gripe is that my kids and their kids will be responsible for this debt and if we kepp burning up 60billion plus on natural disaster, were going to be out of money.. oh wait, we've been out of money ever since the dawning. nothing new I suppose. I think it's time to stop squandering cash and start repaying it and fixing the problem.

I agree again. It makes me sick to watch our national dept just keep rising and it doesn't seem to matter who's in charge of the presidency either. This country needs to get a grip on it's spending before it's to late. What we need is an accountant in the white house instead of a politician.

In all honesty, if people that would receive the largesse would say to themselves, "Wow, what a break, with this I can really get something." I'd be all for it! Then I heard Oprah. Fuck that.

Most of the people affected in these 3 states are hard working people and since the majority have no homes and no jobs to go back to, they do need some help.

I agreed that people on welfare are already getting gov. assistance and shouldn't get the money. For everyone else I say give them a hand.

I saw some of Oprah also and was disgusted at the racial slant. I completely disagree. It was the NO mayor's lack of leadership that lead to the disaster in the city.

Forum List

Back