Katrina Survivor

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
My family booked it out of Mandeville (Northside of Lake Ponchartrain) Saturday before Katrina hit. I have been angered by several things since we took refuge in Lake Charles ( About three hours driving distance from New Orleans). First is our stupid Governor. Anyone with half a brain in Louisiana knew that looting would be a big problem. She wouldn’t allow the National Guard to go in after the storm hit. New Orleans was the second largest city in the country before the Civil War. Although much has been taken from Louisiana in regards to the fishing, oil and gas industry, nothing has been put back. Dr. Maestri a local professor predicted the results from a Category three storm would have on New Orleans back in the 1960’s. The local, state and federal government has failed the people of New Orleans. The levee system was designed for a category three storm and people had cried for more to deaf ears. Well it finally happened. We got a Cat. Four storm that grazed the city. The result was a catastrophe of biblical proportions. Who’s to blame? Well everyone. The State Government did nothing when New Orleans was booming in the 1970’s and we had the money fix the problem. The federal government didn’t do anything. To be truthful, the local government of New Orleans was so corrupt, they would have pocketed the money.

The second thing that makes me angry is people questioning if New Orleans should be rebuilt. Well take a look at your local gas pump. 25% of the nations oil supply is either produced of the coast or passes through New Orleans. The port of Orleans was the worlds largest port. When the French established New Orleans in 1718 they placed the city at the best place of the foot of the mightiest river in North America. It has been here for 287 years. It is much older than America itself. Billions of dollars of goods pass through New Orleans. Some people say that a city shouldn’t been in a flood zone. Isn’t Los Angles located on a major fault line? If Los Angles was destroyed, do you think we would rebuild? With or with out America, New Orleans will rebuild. I hope Bush has a plan to rebuild the city. New Orleans has a large population of people with the welfare mentality. They have generations of animals that have been raised in the projects. That is why idiots are shooting at the rescue teams. These were the people for the most part that were in the Superdome. They have been sent throughout the country. Good luck with those folks because they aren’t coming back to rebuild.

The one thing that is comforting to me is the response of the general population of America. As I drove home I saw Law Enforcement from throughout the country. Also Americans are opening their hearts, homes and their wallets to the people of New Orleans. If we are going to rebuild Pars, Berlin and Baghdad, certainly we can rebuild New Orleans into a place that is better than what it was.

God Bless All!

rcajun90 said:
My family booked it out of Mandeville (Northside of Lake Ponchartrain) Saturday before Katrina hit. I have been angered by several things since we took refuge in Lake Charles ( About three hours driving distance from New Orleans). First is our stupid Governor. Anyone with half a brain in Louisiana knew that looting would be a big problem. She wouldn’t allow the National Guard to go in after the storm hit. New Orleans was the second largest city in the country before the Civil War. Although much has been taken from Louisiana in regards to the fishing, oil and gas industry, nothing has been put back. Dr. Maestri a local professor predicted the results from a Category three storm would have on New Orleans back in the 1960’s. The local, state and federal government has failed the people of New Orleans. The levee system was designed for a category three storm and people had cried for more to deaf ears. Well it finally happened. We got a Cat. Four storm that grazed the city. The result was a catastrophe of biblical proportions. Who’s to blame? Well everyone. The State Government did nothing when New Orleans was booming in the 1970’s and we had the money fix the problem. The federal government didn’t do anything. To be truthful, the local government of New Orleans was so corrupt, they would have pocketed the money.

The second thing that makes me angry is people questioning if New Orleans should be rebuilt. Well take a look at your local gas pump. 25% of the nations oil supply is either produced of the coast or passes through New Orleans. The port of Orleans was the worlds largest port. When the French established New Orleans in 1718 they placed the city at the best place of the foot of the mightiest river in North America. It has been here for 287 years. It is much older than America itself. Billions of dollars of goods pass through New Orleans. Some people say that a city shouldn’t been in a flood zone. Isn’t Los Angles located on a major fault line? If Los Angles was destroyed, do you think we would rebuild? With or with out America, New Orleans will rebuild. I hope Bush has a plan to rebuild the city. New Orleans has a large population of people with the welfare mentality. They have generations of animals that have been raised in the projects. That is why idiots are shooting at the rescue teams. These were the people for the most part that were in the Superdome. They have been sent throughout the country. Good luck with those folks because they aren’t coming back to rebuild.

The one thing that is comforting to me is the response of the general population of America. As I drove home I saw Law Enforcement from throughout the country. Also Americans are opening their hearts, homes and their wallets to the people of New Orleans. If we are going to rebuild Pars, Berlin and Baghdad, certainly we can rebuild New Orleans into a place that is better than what it was.

God Bless All!

Glad ya made it Dude----we were worried about ya !!!

rcajun90 said:
... New Orleans has a large population of people with the welfare mentality. They have generations of animals that have been raised in the projects. That is why idiots are shooting at the rescue teams. These were the people for the most part that were in the Superdome. They have been sent throughout the country. Good luck with those folks because they aren’t coming back to rebuild.

Just what I was afraid of, I have heard several say they're not going back already.

How did your place come through? I heard Slidell was wiped out.

Glad you made it OK. We were all worried about you.

And to those questioning who is to blame for the mess, read this thread. This is from someone who lives there and has been through it..and is still going through it.

Until those questioning can actually walk in a local's shoes, everything you say is speculation.

Hang in there! If there is anything you need, let us know.

Those who are questioning NO's rebuild, are only doing so out of concern about building a town on land that needs levees and dykes to hold water back from drowning the town.

NO is (was) as I heard, a fun, lovely place, but you gotta look at it this way---do we want to risk another disaster like this by putting people back below the lake's natural water level? I really can't understand why this was done in the first place. You wouldn't find people in Duluth, building levees to push Lake Superior back, only to be able to create living space for humans. That's a disaster waiting to happen when the next big thunderstorm or tornado comes through.

GotZoom said:
Glad you made it OK. We were all worried about you.

And to those questioning who is to blame for the mess, read this thread. This is from someone who lives there and has been through it..and is still going through it.

Until those questioning can actually walk in a local's shoes, everything you say is speculation.

Hang in there! If there is anything you need, let us know.

Thank you. Nothing is more frustrating than talking to someone that thinks they are an expert because they watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox. We are okay here in West St. Tammany (Covington and Mandeville). I had my power restored yesterday and a few stores are opening up. I will be going back to work on September 19th. We are not all impoverished and lazy. Don’t believe everything Gerlado Riveria tells you. My country men that are helping Louisiana will have my eternal gratitude. For those of you that want us to simply abandon the 35th largest city in America, I say go F**k yourself. If this was Thailand, Hollywood would have already started benefits and concerts. :bye1:

fuzzykitten99 said:
Those who are questioning NO's rebuild, are only doing so out of concern about building a town on land that needs levees and dykes to hold water back from drowning the town.

NO is (was) as I heard, a fun, lovely place, but you gotta look at it this way---do we want to risk another disaster like this by putting people back below the lake's natural water level? I really can't understand why this was done in the first place. You wouldn't find people in Duluth, building levees to push Lake Superior back, only to be able to create living space for humans. That's a disaster waiting to happen when the next big thunderstorm or tornado comes through.

New Orleans has been here for almost 300 years and this is the first time that this has happened. I will bet you San Fransico and Los Angles will have the big earthquake everyone fears in the next 300 years. Will we rebuild L.A. and San Fransico? Can we risk it? Give me a freaking break. I don't think I would even question it. Levees can be built that will work in a cat 5. Dr. Maestri has been begging for these levees to be built since the 1960's. The local, state and federal government has done nothing. The leeves are over a 100 years old!

I'm glad that you are ok!

Cajun, how much of NO is actually below sea level, and how much is above? Would it make sense to rebuild all of the above sea level parts, and turn the parts that are below into parkland etc., or anything but a residential area or a place for small commercial shops?

Abbey Normal said:
I'm glad that you are ok!

Cajun, how much of NO is actually below sea level, and how much is above? Would it make sense to rebuild all of the above sea level parts, and turn the parts that are below into parkland etc., or anything but a residential area or a place for small commercial shops?

I honestly don’t know how much of New Orleans is below sea level. The French Quarter is above sea level and that is why French located the city there in 1718. I know that some parts of Metairie did not flood. Metairie is in Jefferson Parish and it was where everyone went to in the 60’s to escape urban Orleans. Well now Metairie is just as if not more urban that Orleans so people in the 70’s & 80’s crossed the causeway and settled in St. Tammany where I live. My wife along with about 30,000 people lived in St. Tammany and commuted to work in downtown New Orleans. The Westbank of New Orleans also didn’t flood. It is not above sea level. St. Bernard is above sea level and it was leveled and the water isn’t receding. St. Bernard is a suburb of New Orleans and it’s biggest city is Chalmette. 6,000 body bags have been ordered for St. Bernard. If Houston or Miami was hit with a cat 5 you would see similar devastation but rebuilding wouldn’t be a question. Slidell is above sea level and it had severe damage but contrary to the national news, it wasn’t leveled. My sister inlaw lives in Eden Isles which was mentioned on the national news but her house is still standing but it had 5 feet of water in it. All of the Mississippi coast that was severly damaged is above sea level.

It isn’t as simple as what is above and below sea level. St. Tammany had no flood damage except the area around Lake Ponchartrain. We got tons of freaking trees smashed into cars and homes. Thank you tree hugging liberals. There are all types a rules and laws to prevent you in the many subdivisions of Mandeville and Covington to stop you from cutting down trees.

If I was rebuilding the city, I would put a new levee system that was strong enough to hold up against a cat.5 According to Donald Trump it can be done and Professor Maestri the guy that predicted it can be done.

rcajun90 said:
It isn’t as simple as what is above and below sea level. St. Tammany had no flood damage except the area around Lake Ponchartrain. We got tons of freaking trees smashed into cars and homes. Thank you tree hugging liberals. There are all types a rules and laws to prevent you in the many subdivisions of Mandeville and Covington to stop you from cutting down trees.

Sorry about your tragedy, but.......do you know that the root system of trees stops erosion? Maybe we should breed some trees that have massive roots but only grow about 3 feet tall so they won't inconvenience people? Now I've heard everything.

nucular said:
Sorry about your tragedy, but.......do you know that the root system of trees stops erosion? Maybe we should breed some trees that have massive roots but only grow about 3 feet tall so they won't inconvenience people? Now I've heard everything.

You know you don't know sh%t. Send me your e-mail and I will e-mail you pictures I took of countless houses with trees in them. Not projects but 500,000 – 1,000,000 homes. You know maybe if all the coastal erosion bills that were shot down in congress would have passed we wouldn’t be talking about Katrina. 160 mph winds will knock the oldest of trees down. I’m not for chain sawing every tree in sight but simply doing it to those that could fall on homes. I tell you what….I will buy your plane ticket to fly into Baton Rouge and I will pick you up at the airport and drive you to St. Tammany. All you have to do is walk down my subdivision with a T-shirt that says save the trees on it. You’ve heard everything? I don’t think so. The folks around here are middle to upper class people that work hard. They will not shoot your sorry a$$ but they will give you an ear full. BTW I haven't experienced a tragedy. Those that have lost their homes and family have. I've just experienced a lot of work picking up branches etc. Don't be a smarta$$ when you don't know what you are talking about. :321:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/07/AR2005090702462.html
Money Flowed to Questionable Projects
State Leads in Army Corps Spending, but Millions Had Nothing to Do With Floods

By Michael Grunwald
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 8, 2005; A01

Before Hurricane Katrina breached a levee on the New Orleans Industrial Canal, the Army Corps of Engineers had already launched a $748 million construction project at that very location. But the project had nothing to do with flood control. The Corps was building a huge new lock for the canal, an effort to accommodate steadily increasing barge traffic.

Except that barge traffic on the canal has been steadily decreasing.

In Katrina's wake, Louisiana politicians and other critics have complained about paltry funding for the Army Corps in general and Louisiana projects in particular. But over the five years of President Bush's administration, Louisiana has received far more money for Corps civil works projects than any other state, about $1.9 billion; California was a distant second with less than $1.4 billion, even though its population is more than seven times as large.

Much of that Louisiana money was spent to try to keep low-lying New Orleans dry. But hundreds of millions of dollars have gone to unrelated water projects demanded by the state's congressional delegation and approved by the Corps, often after economic analyses that turned out to be inaccurate. Despite a series of independent investigations criticizing Army Corps construction projects as wasteful pork-barrel spending, Louisiana's representatives have kept bringing home the bacon.

For example, after a $194 million deepening project for the Port of Iberia flunked a Corps cost-benefit analysis, Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) tucked language into an emergency Iraq spending bill ordering the agency to redo its calculations. The Corps also spends tens of millions of dollars a year dredging little-used waterways such as the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet, the Atchafalaya River and the Red River -- now known as the J. Bennett Johnston Waterway, in honor of the project's congressional godfather -- for barge traffic that is less than forecast.

The Industrial Canal lock is one of the agency's most controversial projects, sued by residents of a New Orleans low-income black neighborhood and cited by an alliance of environmentalists and taxpayer advocates as the fifth-worst current Corps boondoggle. In 1998, the Corps justified its plan to build a new lock -- rather than fix the old lock for a tiny fraction of the cost -- by predicting huge increases in use by barges traveling between the Port of New Orleans and the Mississippi River.

In fact, barge traffic on the canal had been plummeting since 1994, but the Corps left that data out of its study. And barges have continued to avoid the canal since the study was finished, even though they are visiting the port in increased numbers.

Pam Dashiell, president of the Holy Cross Neighborhood Association, remembers holding a protest against the lock four years ago -- right where the levee broke Aug. 30. Now she's holed up with her family in a St. Louis hotel, and her neighborhood is underwater. "Our politicians never cared half as much about protecting us as they cared about pork," Dashiell said...

"Pam Dashiell, president of the Holy Cross Neighborhood Association, remembers holding a protest against the lock four years ago -- right where the levee broke Aug. 30. Now she's holed up with her family in a St. Louis hotel, and her neighborhood is underwater. "Our politicians never cared half as much about protecting us as they cared about pork," Dashiell said..."

Yep that is about right. Local politicians are as much to blame as Bush and Blanco. There are plenty of people to blame for this. God bless your family and home.

:usa:

rcajun90 said:
New Orleans has been here for almost 300 years and this is the first time that this has happened. I will bet you San Fransico and Los Angles will have the big earthquake everyone fears in the next 300 years. Will we rebuild L.A. and San Fransico? Can we risk it? Give me a freaking break. I don't think I would even question it. Levees can be built that will work in a cat 5. Dr. Maestri has been begging for these levees to be built since the 1960's. The local, state and federal government has done nothing. The leeves are over a 100 years old!

When NO was first built it was above Sea Level and this couldn't have happened. It is only since the levees and other flood prevention came along that the city began to sink as the silt that filled under the city was no longer replaced with flooding from the river delta.

To say that this hasn't happened in 300 years and therefore it is viable to continue in the same way as before is simply not recognizing history.

NO is an awesome city that deserves to be rebuilt, if only for the restaurants. However the local and state governments need a revamp and badly.

rcajun90 said:
"Pam Dashiell, president of the Holy Cross Neighborhood Association, remembers holding a protest against the lock four years ago -- right where the levee broke Aug. 30. Now she's holed up with her family in a St. Louis hotel, and her neighborhood is underwater. "Our politicians never cared half as much about protecting us as they cared about pork," Dashiell said..."

Yep that is about right. Local politicians are as much to blame as Bush and Blanco. There are plenty of people to blame for this. God bless your family and home.

:usa:

Pretty much every "leader" that could mess up did. There is no doubt of that.

Are you going to return to NO when they get to rebuilding?

no1tovote4 said:
Pretty much every "leader" that could mess up did. There is no doubt of that.

Are you going to return to NO when they get to rebuilding?

I'm already here. I know on the national media it looks like armageddon but that is downtown. I live on the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain and I have my power back and will be going to work on 9/19. God truly blessed my family. I have 10 inlaws coming in today that had homes in Chalmette and Slidell. So I still need your prayers.
:dance:

rcajun90 said:
I'm already here. I know on the national media it looks like armageddon but that is downtown. I live on the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain and I have my power back and will be going to work on 9/19. God truly blessed my family. I have 10 inlaws coming in today that had homes in Chalmette and Slidell. So I still need your prayers.
:dance:

You got em, well my well-wishes during meditation anyway...

Forum List

Back