Katrina - Owners of St. Rita's Nursing Home Charged With 34 Counts of Murder

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
From CNN.

This is where they found the bodies left behind.

I hope they lock them up in a 6 X 6 cell with only a bucket and throw away the key.

No...forget the bucket.

GotZoom said:
From CNN.

I hope they lock them up in a 6 X 6 cell with only a bucket and throw away the key.

No...forget the bucket.

So it's confirmed then?? Are they going to do autopsies?

St. Rita's Nursing Home, huh?

More credibility lost by one of our dear Bush bashing liberals that claimed it was a Hospital and Doctors that killed these people, on another thread.

BATON ROUGE (Reuters) - The owners of a nursing home where 34 people were found dead after Hurricane Katrina have been arrested and charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not evacuating those patients, the Louisiana attorney general's office said on Tuesday.

The Manganos declined an offer from St. Bernard Parish authorities of buses to evacuate the residents of their facility, on top of a contract with an ambulance service they already had but did not use, the state said.

"When we decide we're going to put ourselves in harms way, we do it voluntarily and it's our problem. But you can't do it when you have the care and control and custody of patients," Attorney General Charles Foti told a briefing.

"Thirty-four people drowned in a nursing home when it should have been evacuated. I cannot say it any plainer than that," Foti said, his voice rising with anger.

The 34 were found in recent days in an advanced state of decomposition, Foti said, though it is presumed that they drowned when the storm hit.

Foti declined to say if the Manganos remained at the nursing home throughout the storm or if they fled before it struck on August 29.

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/sex/61274

Just did a google news search, found this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/katrina.impact/

CNN.com

U.S.

Bush: 'I take responsibility' for federal failures on Katrina

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Posted: 2:58 p.m. EDT (18:58 GMT)

Scrolling down, find this:

Bodies found in hospital

Rescue workers have removed 45 bodies from a downtown New Orleans hospital that was surrounded by floodwaters from Katrina, a spokeswoman for the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals said.

The bodies were recovered Sunday from Memorial Medical Center, spokeswoman Melissa Walker said.

Tenet Healthcare Corp., the company that owns the hospital, said in a statement that "a significant number had passed before the hurricane." (Watch the grim process of recovering victims -- 1:34)

Tenet spokesman Steven Campanini wrote that the hospital was told Wednesday "that we were on our own to evacuate, [and] we brought our own helicopters to take the patients out."

He said, "Every living patient was evacuated by Friday afternoon."

The statement said that once all of the patients were evacuated, officials brought in guards to secure the hospital until the coroner could remove the bodies.

Officials have confirmed 279 deaths in Louisiana in the wake of the hurricane.

Kathianne said:
Just did a google news search, found this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/katrina.impact/

CNN.com

U.S.

Bush: 'I take responsibility' for federal failures on Katrina

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Posted: 2:58 p.m. EDT (18:58 GMT)

Scrolling down, find this:

Bodies found in hospital

Rescue workers have removed 45 bodies from a downtown New Orleans hospital that was surrounded by floodwaters from Katrina, a spokeswoman for the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals said.

The bodies were recovered Sunday from Memorial Medical Center, spokeswoman Melissa Walker said.

Tenet Healthcare Corp., the company that owns the hospital, said in a statement that "a significant number had passed before the hurricane." (Watch the grim process of recovering victims -- 1:34)

Tenet spokesman Steven Campanini wrote that the hospital was told Wednesday "that we were on our own to evacuate, [and] we brought our own helicopters to take the patients out."

He said, "Every living patient was evacuated by Friday afternoon."

The statement said that once all of the patients were evacuated, officials brought in guards to secure the hospital until the coroner could remove the bodies.

Officials have confirmed 279 deaths in Louisiana in the wake of the hurricane.
So alittle slight of hand with the facts? Find some dead folks and make-up a story. How typically left wing, huh? :D

"When we decide we're going to put ourselves in harms way, we do it voluntarily and it's our problem. But you can't do it when you have the care and control and custody of patients," Attorney General Charles Foti told a briefing.

And when you are responsible for the people of your city and/or state?

GotZoom said:
From CNN.

No...forget the bucket.

These monsters waited to get them out to save money. I say put them in a small closed tank and slowly pump water into it. The same thing that happened to peoples grandparents. Try to imagine those poor old people gasping for their last breath. Arrrgh makes me so mad. :dev2:

rcajun90 said:
These monsters waited to get them out to save money. I say put them in a small closed tank and slowly pump water into it. The same thing that happened to peoples grandparents. Try to imagine those poor old people gasping for their last breath. Arrrgh makes me so mad. :dev2:

Prosecute and sue. Honestly, whether the elderly, children, or incompetant of whatever age, civil people care for those that can't take care of themselves. It makes me want to shoot them, I won't, but I want to.

Kathianne said:
Prosecute and sue. Honestly, whether the elderly, children, or incompetant of whatever age, civil people care for those that can't take care of themselves. It makes me want to shoot them, I won't, but I want to.

Oh I agree. I just see a double standard. They're being called criminals (which is letting them off light, IMO) while Nagin and Blanco left thousands to thei rown devices who were counting on them to provide for their safety.

GunnyL said:
Oh I agree. I just see a double standard. They're being called criminals (which is letting them off light, IMO) while Nagin and Blanco left thousands to thei rown devices who were counting on them to provide for their safety.

I agree. Bush's problems and apologies have to do with perceptions. Nagin's and Blanco's have to do with breathing. I'd try suing them personally, if I had a loved one involved.

Kathianne said:
I agree. Bush's problems and apologies have to do with perceptions. Nagin's and Blanco's have to do with breathing. I'd try suing them personally, if I had a loved one involved.

I Personally don't understand why no one's calling for their heads on platters. The left-wing media machine has done its job well deflecting blame on this on.

GunnyL said:

The buck stops with Blanco. I'm white and I like Nagin. Despite what the national media might be turning this into, it's not a white or black issue. New Orleans was desegregated before the 60's. Because of our French heritage there were wealthy Free People of Color that even owned slaves before the Civil War. If Nagin wouldn't have gone on his rampage then Blanco wouldn't have given Bush the green light to go. I heard ( I don't know if it is true ) that Bush had the national guard and everything to go Houston but Blanco said no it the early days. Blanco is heavly tied to my college and I was ready to give her the benifit of the doubt but her negligance to me is criminal and if any politician is going to prosecuted, it should start with her. BTW things are slowly starting to turn to normal in the New Orleans suburbs.

rcajun90 said:
The buck stops with Blanco. I'm white and I like Nagin. Despite what the national media might be turning this into, it's not a white or black issue. New Orleans was desegregated before the 60's. Because of our French heritage there were wealthy Free People of Color that even owned slaves before the Civil War. If Nagin wouldn't have gone on his rampage then Blanco wouldn't have given Bush the green light to go. I heard ( I don't know if it is true ) that Bush had the national guard and everything to go Houston but Blanco said no it the early days. Blanco is heavly tied to my college and I was ready to give her the benifit of the doubt but her negligance to me is criminal and if any politician is going to prosecuted, it should start with her. BTW things are slowly starting to turn to normal in the New Orleans suburbs.

I've never thought it was an issue of race, at least until the lefties made it one. I consider it one of incompetence.

I disagree about Ragin though. While he may appeal to you, I think he is the first line of defense for his city and he dropped the ball.

GunnyL said:
I've never thought it was an issue of race, at least until the lefties made it one. I consider it one of incompetence.

I disagree about Ragin though. While he may appeal to you, I think he is the first line of defense for his city and he dropped the ball.

Well you have to look at the structure of the Louisiana political system and laws. We are under the Napolionic code which is a bit different than the rest of the country. The Governor has more power here than in other states. Huey P. Long was the virtual dictator of the state in the 30's. You are entitled to your opinon and simply because I live here by no means does that make me an expert. Blanco had done bonehead things before this event. I was appauled at the federal governments response until Nagin lost it. After he went off, General Henri showed up and like Nagin said, when he started yelling, things started moving.

rcajun90 said:
Well you have to look at the structure of the Louisiana political system and laws. We are under the Napolionic code which is a bit different than the rest of the country. The Governor has more power here than in other states. Huey P. Long was the virtual dictator of the state in the 30's. You are entitled to your opinon and simply because I live here by no means does that make me an expert. Blanco had done bonehead things before this event. I was appauled at the federal governments response until Nagin lost it. After he went off, General Henri showed up and like Nagin said, when he started yelling, things started moving.

And did you notice that when the troops did finally arrive order for the most part was restored within 24 hours?

Forum List

Back