Katrina: Media Bias and Lessons Learned

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Five years after the disaster that was Katrina, the media remains unwilling to expose those primarily at fault for the consequent human disaster – New Orleans.

...What followed was a national media that then turned its cameras away from the abhorrent behaviors taking place within New Orleans itself by officials and residents, instead focusing on the alleged slow response of the Bush administration to the crisis. Forgotten or willfully ignored were the faults of New Orleans Mayor Nagin, Orleans Parish officials, local and state law enforcement, and other state officials – including Governor Blanco. Katrina became a focused media-bias tool to bludgeon the Bush administration with, while the facts surrounding the on-ground response, were dismissed as counter-productive to that newly created and terribly slanted Katrina storyline.

...The Katrina disaster was indeed a failure of government – a powerful condemnation of the dangers of a welfare state that robs its citizens of the necessity of self-determination, and personal responsibility.

FULL ARTICLE HERE:

Katrina: Media Bias and Lessons Learned | Socyberty

Last edited:
Yes..

The Media must have been biased for focusing on dead bodies floating in the streets, people clinging to rooftops, people begging for food and medications, people begging to be evacuated.

I guess your point is that they should have focused on the inability of a city government to deal with the largest natural disaster in history

You are doing a heckuva job Sinatra

Yes..

The Media must have been biased for focusing on dead bodies floating in the streets, people clinging to rooftops, people begging for food and medications, people begging to be evacuated.

I guess your point is that they should have focused on the inability of a city government to deal with the largest natural disaster in history

______

As the images unfolded on television screens across America of the rising waters, the flooded streets, the rooftop rescues, Americans were rightfully concerned and compassionate for those residents of New Orleans suffering in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. What is too often forgotten though is how this initial concern and compassion began to turn into discomfort as images then turned to citizens of New Orleans looting private business, chaos and gunfire running rampant, law enforcement turning away, or in some cases, abandoning their positions altogether. And let us not forget New Orleans Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin’s odd outburst on a local radio station, where he proclaimed he was “not one of those drug addicts” while at the same time embarking on a profanity laced tirade against then-Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco (a Democrat) and President Bush. (a Republican). The same Ray Nagin who a short time later then said at a town hall meeting, ”I can see in your eyes, you want to know, ‘How do I take advantage of this incredible opportunity? How do I make sure New Orleans is not overrun with Mexican workers.” New Orleans locals in attendance applauded Nagin’s remarks. Nagin later followed up that commentary with his public declaration of wanting to make New Orleans a “Chocolate City”, indicating it was God’s Will that Blacks become the dominant race within the city.

Full Article Here:

The looting was overplayed and in most cases probably wasn't actually looting.

People DON'T want to leave their homes.

Go fuck yourself, Sinatra...you are a coward and a cad.

Yes..

______

As the images unfolded on television screens across America of the rising waters, the flooded streets, the rooftop rescues, Americans were rightfully concerned and compassionate for those residents of New Orleans suffering in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. What is too often forgotten though is how this initial concern and compassion began to turn into discomfort as images then turned to citizens of New Orleans looting private business, chaos and gunfire running rampant, law enforcement turning away, or in some cases, abandoning their positions altogether. And let us not forget New Orleans Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin’s odd outburst on a local radio station, where he proclaimed he was “not one of those drug addicts” while at the same time embarking on a profanity laced tirade against then-Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco (a Democrat) and President Bush. (a Republican). The same Ray Nagin who a short time later then said at a town hall meeting, ”I can see in your eyes, you want to know, ‘How do I take advantage of this incredible opportunity? How do I make sure New Orleans is not overrun with Mexican workers.” New Orleans locals in attendance applauded Nagin’s remarks. Nagin later followed up that commentary with his public declaration of wanting to make New Orleans a “Chocolate City”, indicating it was God’s Will that Blacks become the dominant race within the city.

Full Article Here:

What is your point asshole?

For one the media was the only one down there. Do you think most of us forgotten what we watched?

Yes..

______

Full Article Here:

For one the media was the only one down there. Do you think most of us forgotten what we watched?
:lol: Yep...I remember thinking, hey! Geraldo Rivera can film himself in tears from New Orleans but Bush's administration can't deliver water???

Yes..

______

Full Article Here:

The fact is the media did a better job of responding than the government did. They were on the scene within hours, knew where the survivors were, knew what was needed, had helicopters and satellite communications.

Meanwhile, Brownie had no idea there were people in the Convention Center even though the media had been reporting from there for days

The true reality of Katrina was this – that after decades of government-induced dependence, segments of New Orleans population had become seemingly incapable of helping themselves. Their first and only reaction was to wait for help. These people were institutionalized victims, not responsible for their own well being. Nary a word from the media described this reality. Nothing spoken regarding the fact that New Orleans, long a pit of the most corrupt and wasteful politics, was a city mired in a welfare-state mentality, with per capita welfare spending 78 percent higher than the national average. Those areas of New Orleans hardest hit by the rising waters were most often areas dominated by public housing, and by inhabitants bereft of the ability to act responsibly, for such ability had never been required of them before. While the role of the Federal Government is deserving of both scrutiny and blame regarding the disaster that was Katrina, it is not the role of the Federal Government to act as first responders. That role lies with state and local authorities. Those local and state authorities were warned by federal authorities of the hurricane, were told to enact appropriate disaster plan measures – including evacuation of New Orleans residents. Mayor Ray Nagin enacted no such plan. What Nagin did do was engage in a persistent blame game of everyone other than himself. Where was the media’s focus on the clear corruption of responsibility against Nagin and his administration? How many lives could have been saved had Ray Nagin enacted an appropriate evacuation plan? And how many lives could have been saved if so many of the residents of New Orleans had not been taught to look first to government to save them, instead of looking first to themselves?

FULL ARTICLE HERE:

How do you evacuate people who have nowhere to go? People who are afraid to leave there houses, their pets behind?

Where were they supposed to go once they left? Most had little money, no credit cards, there was no space for 450,000 people.

Does each American city have an evacuation plan for all of its citizens? Where would 11 million New Yorkers go?

How do you evacuate people who have nowhere to go? People who are afraid to leave there houses, their pets behind?

Where were they supposed to go once they left? Most had little money, no credit cards, there was no space for 450,000 people.

Does each American city have an evacuation plan for all of its citizens? Where would 11 million New Yorkers go?

Ah, so your answer then is to say no-one is to blame? That no city can effectively prepare for a disaster?

:eusa_eh:

And from a 2008 story...
_____

Within hours of the disaster, when the full impact of city and state dereliction of duty became clear, the state political machine realized it needed to shift blame. In the best traditions of entrenched Democrat administrations, New Orleans Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco had placed partisan political considerations above the welfare of the people and the nation. 24 hours prior to Katrina smashing into the Gulf Coast, Mayor Nagin had not issued mandatory evacuation orders. 12 hours prior to Katrina hitting, Governor Blanco had not mobilized the Louisiana National Guard nor accepted federal aid, deferring vital decisions, even after President Bush pleaded with her. She was concerned first with the political ramifications of federal aid from a Republican administration.

Despite having comprehensive plans (very pretty on paper when soliciting Federal funds), supplies were not positioned, security was not planned, hundreds of buses remained parked. Contingencies were not planned for hospitals, fire stations, police stations, ambulances, or any other civic authority. Nursing homes were left unprotected. The obvious and glaring failure by the city and the state governments was clear, so Senator Mary Landrieu (Dem-LA) publicly placed blame on the Federal Government and President Bush. The bloated bureaucracy of FEMA was an easy target, and the rest of the Democrats in congress and the senate, as well as the usual race agitators joined the cause. The Democrats saw the disaster as a political opportunity, and knowing the truth full well, they used Katrina propaganda to hammer the administration. They took the corruption and ineptitude at the local and state level and spun it into a tall tale of federal neglect and racism.

American Thinker: Big Lies in the Big Easy: The Ghosts of Hurricane Katrina

______

Full Article Here:

:lol: Yep...I remember thinking, hey! Geraldo Rivera can film himself in tears from New Orleans but Bush's administration can't deliver water???

Anderson Cooper and other reporters were the only ones down there it seemed at first. I saw more reporters save people from the water in the first two days, then probably anyone else, besides locals.

And from a 2008 story...
_____

Within hours of the disaster, when the full impact of city and state dereliction of duty became clear, the state political machine realized it needed to shift blame. In the best traditions of entrenched Democrat administrations, New Orleans Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco had placed partisan political considerations above the welfare of the people and the nation. 24 hours prior to Katrina smashing into the Gulf Coast, Mayor Nagin had not issued mandatory evacuation orders. 12 hours prior to Katrina hitting, Governor Blanco had not mobilized the Louisiana National Guard nor accepted federal aid, deferring vital decisions, even after President Bush pleaded with her. She was concerned first with the political ramifications of federal aid from a Republican administration.

Despite having comprehensive plans (very pretty on paper when soliciting Federal funds), supplies were not positioned, security was not planned, hundreds of buses remained parked. Contingencies were not planned for hospitals, fire stations, police stations, ambulances, or any other civic authority. Nursing homes were left unprotected. The obvious and glaring failure by the city and the state governments was clear, so Senator Mary Landrieu (Dem-LA) publicly placed blame on the Federal Government and President Bush. The bloated bureaucracy of FEMA was an easy target, and the rest of the Democrats in congress and the senate, as well as the usual race agitators joined the cause. The Democrats saw the disaster as a political opportunity, and knowing the truth full well, they used Katrina propaganda to hammer the administration. They took the corruption and ineptitude at the local and state level and spun it into a tall tale of federal neglect and racism.

American Thinker: Big Lies in the Big Easy: The Ghosts of Hurricane Katrina
We all know they dropped the ball. Bush is also the PRESIDENT. I am pretty sure he can override the Governor. And what about afterwords? What about before the Hurricane?
There comes a point when you are President when you take over, those people needed him to do that, and he didn't.

Ah, so your answer then is to say no-one is to blame? That no city can effectively prepare for a disaster?

Noooooooo...not at all Frankie

Cities don't have the capability...the Federal Government does

My answer is that the people had nowhere to go. Not everyone is rich. However, the "Biased Media" reported day in and day out where the people were and how they needed food, water and medicine.

The Media was able to get helicopters on site within hours. It took the Bush Government three days to figure out how to fly in critical supplies.

You have people with severe medical conditions and you can't get a freak'n helicopter in to evacuate them?

What kind of freak'n country is this?

Last edited:

Noooooooo...not at all Frankie

Cities don't have the capability...the Federal Government does

My answer is that the people had nowhere to go. Not everyone is rich. However, the "Biased Media" reported day in and day out where the people were and how they needed food, water and medicine.

The Media was able to get helicopters on site within hours. It took the Bush Government three days to figure out how to fly in critical supplies.

You have people with severe medical conditions and you can't get a freak'n helicopter in to evacuate them?

What kind of freak'n country is this?

Your own words continue to validate the point of the local, county, and state authorities terrible response in the days and hours prior to the disaster, and the initial first response immiediately following the disaster.

Therein one finds the basis for the majority of blame - a broken, corrupt, and irresponsible local and state government of Louisianna at the time of Katrina...
___

While the role of the Federal Government is deserving of both scrutiny and blame regarding the disaster that was Katrina, it is not the role of the Federal Government to act as first responders. That role lies with state and local authorities. Those local and state authorities were warned by federal authorities of the hurricane, were told to enact appropriate disaster plan measures – including evacuation of New Orleans residents. Mayor Ray Nagin enacted no such plan. What Nagin did do was engage in a persistent blame game of everyone other than himself.

Read more: Katrina: Media Bias and Lessons Learned | Socyberty

Forum List

Back