Kathmandu for one....

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Also known as Bangkok.

There are lots of places in America with interesting Native American names, but most of them we are so used to, we don't notice. This one is interesting, in Indiana: Mississinewa River. Or, Pataguanset Lake, which is in Conneticut, also a Native American name.

I had planned to go to Lloa Lloa, pronounced yow yow. But now, international travel is out.

Llao Llao Luxury Hotel & Resort, Golf - Spa in patagonia, Bariloche Argentina

images

Ougadougou

I was amazed to find that it is pronounced Wagga-do-goo. I'd been saying it wrong for 20 years!

There are a few in Finland that challenge English speakers - such as Jyväskylä.

I have always liked N'Djamena as a name - not many capital cities have an apostrophe!

Another one, though archaic: 's-Gravenhage (from des Graven Hage, "the Count's Woods"), modernly known as Den Haag or The Hague.

It's a co-capital anyway.

I want to go to Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu - New Zeland. Just to be able to say that I've been there :)

I want to go to Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu - New Zeland. Just to be able to say that I've been there :)

The beginning of that name calls to mind Tatamagouche, on the north coast of mainland Nova Scotia roughly halfway between Pictou and Pugwash. There used to be a lonely sign on Highway 6 that said "Bay Head Radio Museum". If you pulled off to the guy's house he'd take you up through a garage festooned with license plates from everywhere you've ever heard of, upstairs to the radio museum where were stacked hundreds of radios, seemingly again every one you've ever heard of. Sure enough he had a Heathkit GR-81, the shortwave receiver I built for myself as a boy, among them. I managed to get one picture in those days of film cameras (attached).

The sign has been gone for several years and presumably the museum was sold off. Seeing as how the guy looked to be about 104 years old when I met him and that was a good ten years ago I assume he's passed on to where the radio waves reside...

Attachments

• $Bay Head Radio.jpg
    $Bay Head Radio.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 141
Pahrump, Nevada.

Never been there, have only seen it on a map. Sounds like a bodily function.

Pago Pago

American Samoa and its small group of islands were first settled by the Polynesians some 3,000 years ago. In 1722 they were discovered by Jacob Roggeveen, a Dutch explorer.

In 1900 it became an unorganized U.S. territory, and in fact, it's today the only U.S. territory located south of the Equator.

These rugged islands (fringed by reefs) have narrow coastal plains. All are volcanic in origin.

The beautiful city of Pago Pago (the capital), pronounced (pãng'ó pãng'ó), has a magnificent harbor ringed by densely forested mountains. The outer islands are widely considered some of the most beautiful in the South Pacific.

While there is a strong American influence in the islands, American Samoans proudly retain their cultural heritage.

The local economy revolves around the long-established fishing industry, U.S. government jobs and the ever increasing tourism business.

Samoa, a neighboring independent country, shares the same culture, and much of the same history. For additional info about American Samoa, go here.
American Samoa Map and Information, Map of American Samoa, Facts, Figures and Geography of American Samoa -Worldatlas.com

Forum List

Back