"Kates Law" a viable/good solution to stop illegal immigration?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Bill O'Reilly proposed a law (Kates Law) that would automatically incarcerate anyone caught entering the US for 5 years in prison if they are picked up reentering the country again.

I have some doubts that this is a good idea.

1. First & foremost I don't know if this would actually deter those desperate to find a better life than the hell they currently live in. Risk/reward
2. Our prisons are already massively overcrowded. Prisons are often ordered by judges to relieve the overcrowding and releasing some inmates (I've seen this happen personally) is often the result. So American criminals get released to make room for illegals?
3. With the massive amount of illegals that come back multiple times where will the funds come from to pay for this 5 year incarceration? Why not use that money and actually SECURE THE BORDER.
4. This law changes what exactly as it pertains to liberals ignoring Federal Law in their local municipalities? That is after all what led to this woman's death.

I'm not saying the idea is bad I'm just not sure that it's the proper solution. I also don't think our prison system can handle an influx of this size.

I think a better solution would be to:

1. Secure the border
A. Move the damn border patrol to the border
B. Create an appropriate continuous wall that is tailored for the threat of the area.
C. Actively patrol that wall with real humans (crazy I know) in conjunction with a camera/drone system
2. Fine/Jail employers who hire illegals
3. Create an appropriate agricultural green card scenario where by migrant farm workers can move back & forth between Mexico & the US.
4. Criminally charge government officials that KNOWINGLY ignore or skirt US immigration law.
5. Jail ALL future illegals until they are deported.

IMO Kates Law is an emotional reaction & bandaid on a wound that really needs a tourniquet

Discuss

Last edited:
No need to keep filling full prisons. Instead, just cut federal funds to sanctuary cities until they start complying with existing laws.
But, that won't happen either cause we need to continue to create more problems, not solve them.

As long as those in favor pay the taxes to do it, fine.

You've no opinion on the proposed law?
Yeah, I think Billy is pandering and you are one of the gullible tools who fall for his bs. Currently, we have, basically, caps on total federal spending, and a bipartisan majority wants to limit the hit to the military, but we are squabbling over domestic spending ... some unnecessary some vital, and which is which depends on one's priorities and it's not totally a dem / gop thing. But, we will be facing potential shutdowns in the fall.

And this idea has absolutely no viability because of the cost. It's bullshit designed to attract morons' attention.

I don't think throwing people in prison over an imaginary line is good policy. Punish the employers with some big fines and illegals will stop trying to come here.

That and good fucking luck taking all the land you need to fence the border. You'll be in court for about four decades.

BTW, to pull this off you'd need a city the size of New York, with a fence around it. That is going to be some bill you'll end of paying so I hope you saved your pennies, you'll need them: Deporting 11 Million People Could Cost 400-600 Billion Study Finds - The Atlantic

With the right person at the helm, Mexico will pay for it.......one way or another.........:rofl:.

That and good fucking luck taking all the land you need to fence the border. You'll be in court for about four decades.

BTW, to pull this off you'd need a city the size of New York, with a fence around it. That is going to be some bill you'll end of paying so I hope you saved your pennies, you'll need them: Deporting 11 Million People Could Cost 400-600 Billion Study Finds - The Atlantic

With the right person at the helm, Mexico will pay for it.......one way or another.........:rofl:.
Not a chance, it isn't their problem.

You've no opinion on the proposed law?
Yeah, I think Billy is pandering and you are one of the gullible tools who fall for his bs. Currently, we have, basically, caps on total federal spending, and a bipartisan majority wants to limit the hit to the military, but we are squabbling over domestic spending ... some unnecessary some vital, and which is which depends on one's priorities and it's not totally a dem / gop thing. But, we will be facing potential shutdowns in the fall.

And this idea has absolutely no viability because of the cost. It's bullshit designed to attract morons' attention.
So me saying I think it's the wrong plan is "falling for it"?

Did the doctor slap you too hard at birth?

I don't think throwing people in prison over an imaginary line is good policy. Punish the employers with some big fines and illegals will stop trying to come here.
I don't like that idea either. A business should be able to hire whomever they please. Make business pay a living wage instead and they will be more likely to hire locals.

Bill O'Reilly proposed a law (Kates Law) that would automatically incarcerate anyone caught entering the US for 5 years in prison if they are picked up reentering the country again.

I have some doubts that this is a good idea.

1. First & foremost I don't know if this would actually deter those desperate to find a better life than the hell they currently live in. Risk/reward
2. Our prisons are already massively overcrowded. Prisons are often ordered by judges to relieve the overcrowding and releasing some inmates (I've seen this happen personally) is often the result. So American criminals get released to make room for illegals?
3. With the massive amount of illegals that come back multiple times where will the funds come from to pay for this 5 year incarceration? Why not use that money and actually SECURE THE BORDER.
4. This law changes what exactly as it pertains to liberals ignoring Federal Law in their local municipalities? That is after all what led to this woman's death.

I'm not saying the idea is bad I'm just not sure that it's the proper solution. I also don't think our prison system can handle an influx of this size.

I think a better solution would be to:

1. Secure the border
A. Move the damn border patrol to the border
B. Create an appropriate continuous wall that is tailored for the threat of the area.
C. Actively patrol that wall with real humans (crazy I know) in conjunction with a camera/drone system
2. Fine/Jail employers who hire illegals
3. Create an appropriate agricultural green card scenario where by migrant farm workers can move back & forth between Mexico & the US.
4. Criminally charge government officials that KNOWINGLY ignore or skirt US immigration law.
5. Jail ALL future illegals until they are deported.

IMO Kates Law is an emotional reaction & bandaid on a wound that really needs a tourniquet

Discuss
A Doable Workable Solution To The Illegal Immigrant Problem:

Life in prison without the possibility of parole for anyone hiring, housing, aiding or assisting an illegal immigrant. No exceptions. ........ Problem solved.

Why send them to overcrowded prisons?

Put them to work on those huge commercial farms or set up farms where they can be used as the labor force.

They can grow vegetables for two or three years. Work their asses off and do it every time they come over the border. They get fed and get no pay. Works for me.

Put em in prison for five years and put em to work.
Our prisons & jails are already overcrowded.

The prison I was in was built for 900. During my time there it approached 4000. 1 man cells housed 2 & 2 man cells housed 6.

We need a workable solution that SOLVES the problem

Real GDP would drop by nearly $1.6 trillion and the policy would shave 5.7 percent off economic growth.

Deporting 4% of the population, most at the low end of the income scale, is going to cost 5.7% of growth? LOL!
Liberal math.......funny.

How about we fine their employers and cut off their government bennies?
We'll save billions. We could use a few bucks to charter some buses to the border.

Forum List

Back