Kasich turns down federal disaster aid

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Kasich turns down federal disaster aid | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said thanks but no thanks to immediate federal disaster relief Saturday, even as governors in Indiana and Kentucky welcomed the help.

Kasich did not rule out asking for assistance later, but his decision means tornado-ravaged towns in Ohio will not get federal aid now and are not eligible at this time for potentially millions of dollars in payments and loans.
<more>

That is reprehensible. The citizens of Ohio pay for the right to receive federal aid when it is warranted by circumstances.

Kasich has no right to deny them resources that are theirs.

Beautiful to see States stand up against the intrusion of the Federal Government.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich is simply being Republican.

I can see him now ---> Fuck those people. I don't care if they suffer. I have political points to score. They could die for all I care. They're not even rich.

As USMB Republicans scream and applaud "Bravo" starting with Avatar (Beautiful to see States stand up against the intrusion of the Federal Government.) 4321

This is probably the first time I've agreed with Kasich on anything. At least to my memory. Who needs them getting in the way of the recovery?

The people aren't going to suffer without the Federal Government. Quite the Opposite. Without the Federal Government in the way, you will see true charity take place.

The people hurt by the disasters aren't sad hopeless victims. They are grateful people full of hope.

Well he's reconsidered so now there will be threads if he does take money that he took FEMA money even though he is a critic of the Federal Government. It won't matter what he does cause he is Republican and will be criticized.

Kasich reverses stand on federal disaster help | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Ohio Gov. John Kasich on Monday reconsidered his rejection of federal help in tornado-stricken communities and asked federal inspectors to assess the damage as soon as possible.

A team from the Federal Emergency Management Agency is expected to arrive Tuesday in Clermont County to survey the storm damage and determine whether the region qualifies for financial or logistical assistance.

“Hopefully we can get a quick answer from the federal inspectors on what additional resources might be available to help people begin recovering,” Kasich said.
U.S. Rep. Jean Schmidt said she also urged Kasich to change course Monday after public officials in several hard-hit areas expressed an interest in immediate federal help.

She said the leaders of those communities did not accept Kasich’s assertion that federal disaster assistance was not needed and that the state can handle cleanup efforts and emergency relief.

“I have spoken to elected officials … about what they believe is the need to review whether their communities could be eligible for federal assistance,” said Schmidt, R-Miami Township, whose Second Congressional District includes several communities hit by Friday’s tornadoes.
More pressure on Kasich came early Monday when the village of Moscow sent out a call for help to Cincinnati and other communities because state resources were not sufficient to do the job.

Where's the fucknut who said this makes the people of Ohio "sad hopeless victims"?

What is all the hollering about? Why would he accept assistance for people of his state? Its not as thought it was HIS home that was completely lost.

Typical repub. If it doesn't line HIS pockets, he doesn't want it.

Nice to see he has reconsidered but I hope this loses him the next election.

Last edited:
This is probably the first time I've agreed with Kasich on anything. At least to my memory. Who needs them getting in the way of the recovery?

Now that is very un Ron Paul.

Is it a recovery with "wounded" suffering all around?

That is just purely selfish of you and the Guv.

Forum List

Back