What will happen to me if I don't?

Last edited:
Not really. It seems the bad guys keep on truckin.

It is something I like to see happen though, when it does happen. But it happens rarely, which makes seeing it happen twice as sweet

Do you belive in "Karma?"

Or what goes around, comes around?

yep,

I just don't know what I did that brought me a 22 year old autistic son still in diapers.....must've been rotten in a past life. Also, what did he do to deserve it?

I think these disabled children are given to people who are special. The late Dale Evans of "Queen of the West" fame wrote a very moving book about these children after she and Roy Rogers had a disabled child. It was titled Angels Unaware.

I think that what goes around comes around happens to people who have committed evil deeds against others - not because they led some crappy previous life.

in so far as if you do good, good usually is returned and vice versa

i lost my brother this year to brain cancer. he had mild mental retardation. he never did a mean or dishonest thing in his life. and that is actually true, the only time he lied was when i threatened him with great physical violence. of course my mom knew this and would separate us and of course as happened every time, he would spill the beans and i would be threatened with great punishment if retaliated. i was an asshole to him as a kid.

he's dead. karma...?

Last edited:
Real Karma, as in Hinduism and Buddism?

No.

Social 'karma' where people remember our actions in the past and acts accordingly?

Yes.

Favorite remark of Bismark's "I may forget, but I never forgive."

People remember. And really, it is relationships that make life worth the pain. You have no relationships because you are too much of an asshole, there is Karma right there.

yep,

I just don't know what I did that brought me a 22 year old autistic son still in diapers.....must've been rotten in a past life. Also, what did he do to deserve it?

One of the reasons I don't like the idea of Karma. I don't think I would wish such a fate as you two have on anybody

Me neither. With that said, I had a Down's syndrome sister. My parents, with hyper controlling doctors and relative put her in an institution. I was born 9 years later, my brother followed 18 months after my arrival. My mom told me about my sister when I was 7, same day I found out there wasn't a Santa for real. Obviously this was close to Christmas. I came home crying about Santa, somehow my mom through her tears about that, got onto Mary Beth. Talk about traumatized!

Anyhow, my brother and I were used to my parents being gone all day on Saturday, that's when they went to see my sister. I finally found out why they were gone and we were with a sitter-very unusual in those days. It was always that way though, my folks left early in morning and came back just before time for bed. My sister was in a home about 3 hours from our house. They never picked up that she was deaf, until the state was closing the facility-then they made the diagnosis.

She was 19. She'd been labeled non-educable, even basic skills. The release from Dixon and diagnosis of deafness led to my parents fighting for and receiving sign language and speech therapy for her. She came a long way. I don't think either of my parents ever got over that guilt. Honestly though, I don't think my brother and I would have succeeded as well if she'd been at home. While very sweet at times, when crossed in even small ways, she'd explode. Once my mom told me about Mary Beth, she would visit. We wanted a big sister, instead we had a sister that was very dependent, yet very stubborn. She was much stronger than my brother or myself, with little self-control.

When she learned sign language, we all did. That made things much better, but still difficult. She couldn't handle any sort of deviance from what she thought was the way. We're not just talking about place settings at a table, but a comb or brush on the dresser. The way the boots were lined up in the closet.

However, what we did learn from her is the love of the expected. The need for continuity and the belief in Santa. Yes, Mary Beth even at 40 believed in Santa. A true gift for a young person with young children going through a horrible divorce. Mary Beth believed, and made Santa real to my kids and myself, even my parents. Why? Simplicity.

She died before my mom, though my mom was so sick we didn't tell her. My dad, well I thought we'd lose him at the funeral mass. He went into the hospital the next day.

He lived 3 years beyond my mom, shortly before he died he said, "Mary, (my mom) is going to kill me, when she sees me. When Mary Beth was there to greet her, whole, she is going to be so pissed."

Those that are needy, are our greatest resource, on a personal level.

yep,

I think these disabled children are given to people who are special. The late Dale Evans of "Queen of the West" fame wrote a very moving book about these children after she and Roy Rogers had a disabled child. It was titled Angels Unaware.
I think that what goes around comes around happens to people who have committed evil deeds against others - not because they led some crappy previous life.

I've read this book...picked it up one afternoon and couldn't put it down until I finished it. Very touching and quite the tear jerker too. I highly recommend it to anyone who knows a family with a downs child. Lots of great insight into the life and heart of someone who loves and cares for a disabled child.

Forum List

Back