Karl Rove Finally Screws Up (BIG TIME) And Bush Flip-Flops On A Huge Issue

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Oct 27, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    WOWi never thought i'd see the day. nearly every political idiot i know, whether they love him or hate him, both fears and respects karl rove like no other political operative. rove knows how to run a campaign, a presidency,i mean the guy is a no joke frigging demagogue of politics right now. he was until now, the teflon campaign manager, no mistake could stick to him, no egg ever got on his face. now he's allowed two serious miscues in less than 48 hours that have my kerry supporter friends howling in delight and anticipation. as a bush voter, i want damage control... fast!

alright, a lot of folks on the board were howling about kerry and NYT/CBS making up that explosives story (i even jumped on the bandwagon and condemned them for trying to lie to the american people). turns out they may be right... and karl rove hitched the white house to the initial NBC report supporting the white house side.... now that report has been margainalized by new revelations from NBC/MSNBC, CBS and people on the ground in the military.

My whole point here is not to argue with what happened there, we don't know yet. I think I jumped the gun on this, there is a lot more to this story than was revealed yesterday on USMB.

My point is this: What was Karl Rove smoking when he pinned the admin's whole defense on this issue on a lone NBC news story from a year ago? This is not like him at all, its far too risky and it blew up in the admin's face now, because all sorts of "revelations" and "new evidence" is showing up. The only person here I believe wholeheartedly is the CO of the 101st interviewed by CBS, he's military and I'll go with what he said until he recants or changes it for whatever reason.

Now, even better, Bush, whose running on getting his conservative, religious right base out to vote, has been putting heavy emphasis on banning gay marriage through a constitutional amendment. A lot of the supporters of this idea (i oppose it) also dont' believe in civil unions and most of them just plain don't like homos Guess what Bush says on Good Morning America in an interview aired Tuesday?

i personally am glad the president feels this way, but i'm pretty sure a significant amount of his "base" isn't happy with this at all.

Again, what the hell is Karl Rove smoking allowing this a few days before the election? wow, i can't believe this is happening now.

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    eh? Cliff notes?

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Patience, grasshopper. This is not the last we have heard on this. I doubt that Rove played all his cards at once. The issue of the so-called "missing" explosives was conjured up by the kerry campaign. They have no time line and they have no idea whether or not the explosives were ever there to begin with.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Nato---I see your concern but I doubt the Bush base will see this as a reason to not vote or to vote for Kerry.

5. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I am seriously doubting Bush's chances of victory. I don't think they did a good enough job harking on Kerry's voting against the gulf war (UN approved, global test passed, lots of allies, kery votes no? ) and that first debate was a disaster.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I would seriously love to see GWB be a little more aggressive in pointing out Kerry's bullcrap remarks/straight lies.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    If kerry can ignore his entire actual senate record, Bush should be able to weather this one. Your friends are so excited because this piddling issue is all they have.

8. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm a conservative atheist. I support states being allowed to provide SOME rights through the concept of a civil union. I think it should be done by popular vote or, at the very least, legislatively - but deinfitely NOT by judicial FIAT like MA.

I also support am amendment to define marriage between a man and a woman. GWB does not alientate me at all with his positions on this issue.

As for those who don't beleive in civil unions on religious grounds, you think they'll be mad enough to vote for the pro-abortion candidate? HA!

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    in response to those who told me to be patient and wait for it all to come out, i agree. but i also think it will probably months before we know what really happened, hence my concern on rove seemingly putting their defense on this one story. we shall see, i think kerry's made a mistake by just jumping all over it like a horndog.

the civil unions thing? i know they won't vote for kerry, but could that depress the vote a bit (they won't show up to vote at all)?

thank you though, the wisdom here has calmed me down. its just rare for rove to seemingly screw up like this.

10. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    This site was monitored for 10 years by the IAEA, the explosives were allowed to be kept for mining purposes ??????? The bunkers that contained the explosives were sealed off and inspected as of the middle of March 2003. Mid march an IAEA team inspected the seals on the containment bunkers and found them to be intact. The pentagon acknowledges that this site was on a list of sensitive sites, granted it was a big list. (One of the reasons some military officials (Shinseki and White and Tommy Franks )wanted more troop strength was to secure and monitor these sensitive sites) . The sites were not officially inspected by the US until about May 18th, although several units including the 101st passed thru. I heard mention of one that went thru on or about April 4th, however it was just an overnight stay,they had encountered Iraqi resistance upon arrival but after a short gun battle secured the site for their stay. They left in the morning.