Kalief Browder

We had this in our state overtly until at least 1997.

Sundown towns (1890-1968 ) were white-only towns in America where blacks and others were not allowed to live. There were thousands of them. They were outlawed in 1968 by the Fair Housing Act.

The name comes from signs at the edge of town warning blacks to leave by sundown. One sign in Hawthorne, California in the 1930s said, “******, don’t let the sun set on you in Hawthorne.” Blacks were allowed in town during the day to work but had to leave before nightfall.

Most sundown towns were not in the South, like you might think, but in the North and Midwest. The South kept the races separate and unequal with Jim Crow laws. In the North and Midwest many towns simply drove blacks out, especially in the 1890s, and kept them out. Blacks lost their land and houses and sometimes their lives.

It was not just blacks who were affected by this sort of thing. To a lesser degree so were Jews, Chinese, Mexicans and Native Americans, sometimes even Catholics. Idaho, for example, was once a third Chinese. That was before the whites drove them out.

These towns were not just here and there in lost little corners of the country. They were everywhere. President George W. Bush grew up in one. So did Emily Post, Edgar Rice Burroughs (who gave us Tarzan), Joe McCarthy (who drove out Communists) and Dale Carnegie.

Levittown on Long Island in New York state was one. It became the model for white suburbia – not just in its look-alike houses, but also in its Wonder Bread whiteness. No blacks lived there. Not because blacks could not afford it, but because whites were not allowed to sell their houses to them!

William Levitt, himself a Jew, said, “If we sell one house to a Negro family, then 90 to 95 percent of our white customers will not buy.”

Some other notable sundown towns: Darien, Connecticut, Grosse Pointe, Michigan, Tarzana, California and Cicero, Illinois.

A sundown town might have one or two black families, but no more were allowed to move in.

Whenever I return to America from overseas I know I am back home because I see black people again. Blacks are part of what America is. Even in Alaska.

So when a town has no blacks or just one or two families, it is unnatural. It means blacks are being kept out somehow.

Before 1968 towns could keep blacks out by law and by violence. The police or the good white people would throw them out – or sometimes even kill them.

But now there are other ways to keep a place nearly all white, like redlining. So the same thing still goes on today but by different means.

The proof of this is just how white the white suburbs are. Almost 90% of suburban whites live in places that are less than 1% black! Whites see nothing wrong with that – in a country where 9% of the middle class is black!

White suburbia has taken the place of the old sundown towns.

Thought ever cross your mind that maybe blacks don't WANT to live with white people?

We had this in our state overtly until at least 1997.

Sundown towns (1890-1968 ) were white-only towns in America where blacks and others were not allowed to live. There were thousands of them. They were outlawed in 1968 by the Fair Housing Act.

The name comes from signs at the edge of town warning blacks to leave by sundown. One sign in Hawthorne, California in the 1930s said, “******, don’t let the sun set on you in Hawthorne.” Blacks were allowed in town during the day to work but had to leave before nightfall.

Most sundown towns were not in the South, like you might think, but in the North and Midwest. The South kept the races separate and unequal with Jim Crow laws. In the North and Midwest many towns simply drove blacks out, especially in the 1890s, and kept them out. Blacks lost their land and houses and sometimes their lives.

It was not just blacks who were affected by this sort of thing. To a lesser degree so were Jews, Chinese, Mexicans and Native Americans, sometimes even Catholics. Idaho, for example, was once a third Chinese. That was before the whites drove them out.

These towns were not just here and there in lost little corners of the country. They were everywhere. President George W. Bush grew up in one. So did Emily Post, Edgar Rice Burroughs (who gave us Tarzan), Joe McCarthy (who drove out Communists) and Dale Carnegie.

Levittown on Long Island in New York state was one. It became the model for white suburbia – not just in its look-alike houses, but also in its Wonder Bread whiteness. No blacks lived there. Not because blacks could not afford it, but because whites were not allowed to sell their houses to them!

William Levitt, himself a Jew, said, “If we sell one house to a Negro family, then 90 to 95 percent of our white customers will not buy.”

Some other notable sundown towns: Darien, Connecticut, Grosse Pointe, Michigan, Tarzana, California and Cicero, Illinois.

A sundown town might have one or two black families, but no more were allowed to move in.

Whenever I return to America from overseas I know I am back home because I see black people again. Blacks are part of what America is. Even in Alaska.

So when a town has no blacks or just one or two families, it is unnatural. It means blacks are being kept out somehow.

Before 1968 towns could keep blacks out by law and by violence. The police or the good white people would throw them out – or sometimes even kill them.

But now there are other ways to keep a place nearly all white, like redlining. So the same thing still goes on today but by different means.

The proof of this is just how white the white suburbs are. Almost 90% of suburban whites live in places that are less than 1% black! Whites see nothing wrong with that – in a country where 9% of the middle class is black!

White suburbia has taken the place of the old sundown towns.

Thought ever cross your mind that maybe blacks don't WANT to live with white people?

Have you ever thought that maybe your excuses are tired? This is not about blacks choosing not to live with whites.

Hello. I am back after a self imposed hiatus from computers. But I want and need to post this.

Yesterday at church a young woman shared a story with us and urged us as Christians to put our faith into action. I borrowed most of the following from the Kalief Browder Foundation web page so the information would be accurate.

In 2010, Kalief Browder was arrested at the age of 16 for allegedly stealing a backpack and its contents. Charged as an adult, Kalief could not afford the $3,000 bail set on his freedom. He was imprisoned for over 1,000 days on Rikers Island without trail, spending 400 of those days in solitary confinement. He was starved, beaten and abused by guards and inmates.

Three years after his arrest, Kalief's charges were dismissed and he was released due to lack of evidence. He committed suicide two years later at the age of 22.

This is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard. And what disturbs me greatly is that it happened in 2010 – this is not ancient history - this is not the distant past – this is not the sins of our forefathers - this is not something that took place during slavery days, the time we are all told to forget about and stop bringing up because it’s sooooooooo over. This was eight years ago. This was a teenage kid. This was a vicious system. This was modern slavery. This was unforgettable and unforgiveable.

Isn't NYC America's most progressive and diverse city?
Progressive and diverse, yes, I suppose. But those things did not stop this atrocity from happening. And if something like this can happen in a progressive city, it makes me wonder what may be happening in small towns and rural places where some very backward thinking still exists and dominates folks behavior. I would not be surprised to find that there are black men imprisoned and forced into labor without fair trials or fair representation.

Such useful speculation and prejudice... ^^^^
In response to this I started some research on the subject and have already found a man who has been in prison 10 years without even a trial in Alabama. Also found that many small towns are feeding people into jails in nearby places just to keep them filled. They are not even in the place where the alleged crime took place. When time allows, I intend to dig further. And no, this is not prejudice. It's simply looking at what is happening in one place and wondering if it happens elsewhere.

Hire him a lawyer!

Forum List

Back