Justify banning this rifle...

Gun sales are booming, yet it's the same gun owners buying more guns.
How many "assault" rifles do they need to sleep at night?

The real question you should ask yourself is "How few do you need to sleep at night?". The fear of fictional firearms is astounding!

You sure you are a lawyer? That argument is so weak a 5 year old could destroy it. EXACTLY how does knowing she had a gun and it being registered help find it after it is stolen? You are aware when you report a weapon stolen they want the serial number in case they recover it?
Obviously I'm not cut out for law...I was trying to create a scenario where a legal gun owner uses her legal gun to attempt a robbery. Apparently, stolen guns do not account for most criminal gun violence:

"An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. 'Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes,' Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal."

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

So registration of firearms by legal owners would have little to no impact on identifying guns used in crimes as stolen?
I think that depends on where we start the chain of custody for "legal owners:"

"The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.

"Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen."

Obviously I'm not cut out for law...I was trying to create a scenario where a legal gun owner uses her legal gun to attempt a robbery. Apparently, stolen guns do not account for most criminal gun violence:

"An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. 'Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes,' Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal."

So registration of firearms by legal owners would have little to no impact on identifying guns used in crimes as stolen?

"The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.

"Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen."

Yet the NRA, and many gun owners, support extending background checks to include use by just such dealers.

Gun sales are booming, yet it's the same gun owners buying more guns.
How many "assault" rifles do they need to sleep at night?

The real question you should ask yourself is "How few do you need to sleep at night?". The fear of fictional firearms is astounding!
As of this minute, I would put my number at 0.
When this economy crashes loudly enough to focus US attention spans the same way 911 did, I will probably revise it.(and shoot my foot off)

Yet the NRA, and many gun owners, support extending background checks to include use by just such dealers.
I'm completely ignorant of current gun registration procedures.
If Smith and Wesson produces a new hand gun (or any other legal gun) at what point does government first take note of the weapon's serial number?

I'm completely ignorant of current gun registration procedures.
If Smith and Wesson produces a new hand gun (or any other legal gun) at what point does government first take note of the weapon's serial number?

Any time a licensed dealer transfers a firearm from his inventory to an unlicensed purchaser, an ATF Form 4473 must be filled out and signed. Dealers are also required to keep a record of each such transaction for at least 20 years. While these records are not routinely submitted to the ATF, they must be made available upon request of law enforcement or government agencies, or an authorized Privacy Act request. While private transactions between private individuals are not required to have a 4473 completed, some states do currently require such sales to be conducted through a licensed dealer, who must execute both background check and paperwork.

Unless manufacturers are required to provide a list of all firearms they manufacture, government, or more specifically law enforcement agencies, would only take note of a firearm's serial number if it were reported lost/stolen or the weapon was used in a crime.

Forum List

Back