'Justified' TV Show Whine and SPOILER

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This post has a SPOILER so stop here if yo dont want to read what happened in the epsiode last night.

OK, the snake handler guy got bit by a rattler and the dude fell to the ground unconscious. This is bullshit, those guys know how to handle snakes, it isnt all based on 'faith'. They milk the ones they keep and train the snakes to remain calm in their hands. Even wild snakes are handled fairly safely by these guys because they know what to do and to not do that might excite a snake and make it bite.

And on top of that, of 8,000 bites by rattlers in the US last year, only 5 people died. The snake handler should have already had a lot of antibodies from his previous bites, so him falling unconscious on the floor seems...very unlikely. They would have rushed him to some legit medical care.

They believe that handling the snakes is a sign of their faith, not that the snakes dont bite. They know that the snakes sometimes bite and they are prepared for that.

Other than this one whine the episode was classic Boyd Crowder manipulating people to get what he wants. No wonder he is a Democrat. Great episode.

first of all.. they prefer to be called serpent handlers...you dont really have much info on this do you?

the snakes are handled as well as poisons are drank and they pass their hand thru flames...

dont be spreading false hoods about a religion you do not know

there are quite a few documented deaths from serpent handling....

CNN) – Mack Wolford, one of the most famous Pentecostal serpent handlers in Appalachia, was laid to rest Saturday at a low-key service at his West Virginia church a week after succumbing to a snake bite that made headlines across the nation.
Several dozen family, friends and members of Wolford's House of the Lord Jesus church in tiny Matoaka filled the simple hall for the service, which lasted slightly more than an hour. At the request of pastor's widow, Fran Wolford, media were forbidden inside the building.
Wolford's own dad was a serpent handler who died from a snake bite in 1983.

Mack Wolford, who was 44, was bitten by his yellow timber rattlesnake at an evangelistic event in a state park about 80 miles west of Bluefield, in West Virginia’s isolated southern tip.

He enjoyed handling snakes during worship services, but it’s a tradition that has killed about 100 practitioners since it started in the east Tennessee hills in 1909.

Death of snake handling preacher shines light on lethal Appalachian tradition ? CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

that is just in tn....

first of all.. they prefer to be called serpent handlers...you dont really have much info on this do you?

the snakes are handled as well as poisons are drank and they pass their hand thru flames...

It is funny that you slam me for calling them snake handlers then you call them snakes too.

dont be spreading false hoods about a religion you do not know

I am not spreading falsehoods. I have known a few who were in to that form of Christianity, and one was a convert who had been a preacher.

All I know was what they told me. But what I described is no better or worse than Billy Graham getting volunteers to go to the alter first to brak the ice at his revivals.

There is a certain amount of showmanship to being a preacher that simple minded people cant accept.

there are quite a few documented deaths from serpent handling....

CNN) – Mack Wolford, one of the most famous Pentecostal serpent handlers in Appalachia, was laid to rest Saturday at a low-key service at his West Virginia church a week after succumbing to a snake bite that made headlines across the nation.
Several dozen family, friends and members of Wolford's House of the Lord Jesus church in tiny Matoaka filled the simple hall for the service, which lasted slightly more than an hour. At the request of pastor's widow, Fran Wolford, media were forbidden inside the building.
Wolford's own dad was a serpent handler who died from a snake bite in 1983.

Mack Wolford, who was 44, was bitten by his yellow timber rattlesnake at an evangelistic event in a state park about 80 miles west of Bluefield, in West Virginia’s isolated southern tip.

He enjoyed handling snakes during worship services, but it’s a tradition that has killed about 100 practitioners since it started in the east Tennessee hills in 1909.

Death of snake handling preacher shines light on lethal Appalachian tradition ? CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

that is just in tn....

So, 100 deaths in over 110 years? Big deal; only proves what I said - these people know what they are doing though there are ocasional accidents.

So-called "reality shows" are apparently under no legal obligation to actually be "real". They replay shots and they inject drama. One participant in the "storage auction" shows admitted that the producers of the shows put stuff in the storage locker after the auction is over for the buyers to "discover" in order to create drama. I expect likewise for the poor schleps who are trying to mine for gold in Alaska on a shoestring and axemen, gater handlers and snake handlers.

So-called "reality shows" are apparently under no legal obligation to actually be "real". They replay shots and they inject drama. One participant in the "storage auction" shows admitted that the producers of the shows put stuff in the storage locker after the auction is over for the buyers to "discover" in order to create drama. I expect likewise for the poor schleps who are trying to mine for gold in Alaska on a shoestring and axemen, gater handlers and snake handlers.

It's not a reality show, which makes the OP even more stupid....

Did I say it was a reality show, dumbass?

Really, Dr Grump, being a grump is one thing, but being the little bitch you are is something altogether different,

Intentionally handle dangerous snakes, increase the risk of getting bitten.

Really? So getting behind the wheel of a car increases the likelihood of getting into a car wreck? Well, only if you compare absolutes, like 0 occurances to hundreds of thousands.

But were one to graph the number of times one handled snakes and mapped it to the number of times bitten as a ratio, I am pretty certain that there would be a local minimum with a steep reduction well before that. You see, there are things one can learn about such things, like how to calm the snake, to avoid agitating it, how to milk it to reduce the damage done if bitten, the build up of snake venom antibodies that further reduce the impact ofa bit, etc, that make you more able to avoid death when handling snakes.

Its a gray scale, not a black and white one, from their point of view.

I personally think there are only three kinds of acceptable snakes: 1. nonpoisonous snakes, 2.caged snakes, and 3 the proverbial dead snake.

You wont ever see me playing with them.

Last edited:

Really, Dr Grump, being a grump is one thing, but being the little bitch you are is something altogether different,

No you didn't. Whitehall did. You know, the guy who I was responding to in my post. And you call me a dumbass.....

No you didn't. Whitehall did. You know, the guy who I was responding to in my post. And you call me a dumbass.....

lol, DUDE, OP = 'original/opening post' ie the post that started the thread.

OP - Slang/Internet Slang

But since you were mistaken about the meaning of OP, what you thought it meant is really intriguing me now, that is cool. I thought you were refering to me.

So what did you take OP to mean?

This post has a SPOILER so stop here if yo dont want to read what happened in the epsiode last night.

OK, the snake handler guy got bit by a rattler and the dude fell to the ground unconscious. This is bullshit, those guys know how to handle snakes, it isnt all based on 'faith'. They milk the ones they keep and train the snakes to remain calm in their hands. Even wild snakes are handled fairly safely by these guys because they know what to do and to not do that might excite a snake and make it bite.

And on top of that, of 8,000 bites by rattlers in the US last year, only 5 people died. The snake handler should have already had a lot of antibodies from his previous bites, so him falling unconscious on the floor seems...very unlikely. They would have rushed him to some legit medical care.

They believe that handling the snakes is a sign of their faith, not that the snakes dont bite. They know that the snakes sometimes bite and they are prepared for that.

Other than this one whine the episode was classic Boyd Crowder manipulating people to get what he wants. No wonder he is a Democrat. Great episode.

Shit. I missed it.

Is Thursday the new night?? Used to be on Tuesdays.

Was it episode one for the new season?? God I hope so. I've been watching Raylen since day one. Love the show. Jeeze. Hope I haven't missed to many episodes.

Shit. I missed it.

Is Thursday the new night?? Used to be on Tuesdays.

Was it episode one for the new season?? God I hope so. I've been watching Raylen since day one. Love the show. Jeeze. Hope I haven't missed to many episodes.

If you have Comcast, they have the episodes available via On Demand.

Forum List

Back