Justice Thomas...revisited!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1." All at once the enemy plan became clear; what looked like stupidity was revealed as genius, ...
...Jeffrey Toobin’s gripping, must-read profile of Clarence and Virginia Thomas in the New Yorker gives readers new insight ...: Toobin argues that the only Black man in public life that liberals could safely mock and despise may be on the point of bringing the Blue Empire down.

2. In fact, Toobin suggests, Clarence Thomas may be ...able to overthrow the entire edifice of the modern progressive state.In several of the most important areas of constitutional law, Thomas has emerged as an intellectual leader of the Supreme Court. Since the arrival of Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., in 2005, and Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., in 2006, the Court has moved to the right when it comes to the free-speech rights of corporations, the rights of gun owners, and, potentially, the powers of the federal government; in each of these areas, the majority has followed where Thomas has been leading for a decade or more. Rarely has a Supreme Court Justice enjoyed such broad or significant vindication.

3. There are few articles of faith as firmly fixed in the liberal canon as the belief that Clarence Thomas is, to put it as bluntly as many liberals do, a dunce and a worm. ... Not only does the liberal mind perceive him as a disgusting lump of ungoverned sexual impulse; he is seen as an intellectual cipher. Thomas’ silence during oral argument before the Supreme Court is taken as obvious evidence that he has nothing to say and is perhaps a bit intimidated by the verbal fireworks exchanged by the high profile lawyers and his more, ahem, ‘qualified’ colleagues.

4. No, says Toobin: the intellectual influence runs the other way. Thomas is the consistently clear and purposeful theorist that history will remember as an intellectual pioneer; Scalia the less clear-minded colleague who is gradually following in Thomas’ tracks.

5. Until very recently the constitutional vision I was taught in my teens remained, as they say, hegemonic. The enlarged role of the commerce clause was uncontested and the two amendments dangled with the other dead constitutional provisions — letters of marque and reprisal, no bills of attainder, the prohibition on quartering — in constitutional limbo.

6. ...the New Deal constitution was not as permanent or unalterable as it looked. Intellectually its foundations were shaky, and after two decades of a Clarence Thomas-led assault, the constitutional doctrines that permitted the rise of the powerful federal government could be close to collapse.

7. The next topic for Constitutional revisionism is the expansive reading of the commerce clause that the New Deal judges used to justify the Roosevelt administration’s ambitious economic programs. The Obamacare health reform depends on that kind of reading of the commerce clause; the penumbras must stretch pretty far for the Constitution to give Congress the right to require all Americans to buy private health insurance. And if the commerce clause can be stretched this far, one must ask whether there is anything that the Constitution blocks Congress from doing.

8. Without some rule of interpretation that the average person can understand and accept as legitimate, the Court gradually loses legitimacy in the public eye. The originalist interpretation, whatever objections can be made to it intellectually and historically, is politically compelling. It resonates with the American propensity for commonsense reasoning. To say that the Founders meant what they meant and that the first job of a judge is to be faithful to their intent is something that strikes many Americans as sensible, practical and fair.

9. But there is another view of this amendment. The Constitution of the United States confers specific, “enumerated” powers on the Congress, and many of the things that Congress does today are not listed among those enumerated powers.

10. This is pretty much a Tea Party wish list, and it is why the Tea Party movement is so strongly identified with originalist interpretations of the Constitution. Unleashing the Tenth Amendment would move the constitutional status quo back towards the early 1930s when the “Nine Old Men” struck down one New Deal law after another. For Toobin and most New Yorker readers, it is hard to imagine an idea that more radically and totally runs against everything they believe."
Read more: New Blue Nightmare: Clarence Thomas and the Amendment of Doom | Via Meadia

Last edited:
Clarence Thomas is one of the greatest, most clear headed, and arguably the most pristine Originalist that has sat on the court since the founding. His decisions are absolutely infallible and unassailable in terms of arguing from the document itself. You might not like his decisions, but you cannot argue that he got the law wrong

Last edited:
Clarence Thomas is one of the greatest, most clear headed, and arguably the most pristine Originalist that has sat on the court since the founding. His decisions are absolutely infallible and unassailable in terms of arguing from the document itself. You might not like his decisions, but you cannot argue that he got the law wrong

It's morning in America.

M'eh. As the "silent Justice", I can't imagine Thomas as the leader of much.

Alito, on the other hand, while I detest his views; writes well thought out and coherent opinions that present well thought out legal arguments.

Normally I ignore you CF, primarily because I believe you're rather stupid and a jerk. That aside, what makes you believe you have any background or intellectual ability to make the judgments you have made above? Do you have a JD, passed a state bar exam or even audited a law class? What is your understanding of the Philosophy of the Law (if you can even fathom what that means) vis a vis political philosophy and applied ethics?

Normally I ignore you CF, primarily because I believe you're rather stupid and a jerk. That aside, what makes you believe you have any background or intellectual ability to make the judgments you have made above? Do you have a JD, passed a state bar exam or even audited a law class? What is your understanding of the Philosophy of the Law (if you can even fathom what that means) vis a vis political philosophy and applied ethics?

I would argue that Scalia is a great legal mind just based off of bouncing stuff of of my wife (an attorney) and her lawyer friends. Then, furthermore, on reading some of his opinions.

You might not agree with them, but they are well written and articulated and logical and make a compelling case for "constitutionality" as he sees it. He's usually consistent.

The impression I get from Thomas is that he doesn't really bring much to the bench other then a solid vote for the more conservative justices. His opinions are often cursory (relative to the standard expected from a SCOTUS judge) and he doesn't put out as many opinions as other justices.

Then again, I am not a lawyer, so I could be wrong and would love to hear what a legal mind has to say on the matter.

That being said, I can't think of a significant case where Thomas has authored the majority opinion of dissent during his time in the court.

Damn - check out that "666" rep power !!!

Alito, on the other hand, while I detest his views; writes well thought out and coherent opinions that present well thought out legal arguments.

(pssst...I've seen enough of your posts to know that your opinion is pretty much worthless. And even moreso when you haven't read the attached link. Why don't you give education a chance.)

The most entertaining bit in that New Yorker article was the anecdote about Alito poking fun at originalism.

Thomas’s approach to the Eighth Amendment underlines some of the problems with his approach to the Constitution, and with originalism generally. Only two Justices, Thomas and Scalia, have built their jurisprudence around originalism (one of them faintheartedly), so its full adoption would require the trashing of dozens, if not hundreds, of Court precedents. Further, notwithstanding Thomas’s enduring certainties, it is difficult to know what the framers would have thought of any given situation. (Alito, a conservative but not a full-fledged originalist, captured this problem nicely, in the oral argument about the California law on violent video games. Following up on a series of questions by Scalia, Alito asked the lawyer, “I think what Justice Scalia wants to know is what James Madison thought about video games. Did he enjoy them?”) It is true, too, that the framers often disagreed profoundly with each other, making a single intent behind the Constitution even more difficult to discern, and the twenty-seven amendments (all with their own framers) created another overlay of complication. For all of Thomas’s conviction, originalism is just another kind of interpretation, revealing as much about Thomas as about the Constitution.

The original intention of the Consitution made excellent sense in 1789.

Now?

Not so much.

Now, I know you speak with the authority of a Constitutional authority...about as much as myself.

Let me clarify for you the reason why the text is the only basis for law in the United States...

Attorney-general Edwin Meese, III’s speech to the ABA, July 9, 1985, called for Jurisprudence of Original Intention, focusing on several themes. The first is the primacy of the rule of law. Thomas Paine said, “America has no monarch: Here the law is king.”

Originalists believe that the written Constitution is our most fundamental law and that it binds us all. Justices who abandon the original meaning of the text of the Constitution invariably end up substituting their own political philosophies for those of the framers.

Americans have to decide whether they wish a government of laws or one of judges.

a. There is no liberal or conservative meaning of the text of the Constitution, only a right meaning or a wrong meaning. Those who convert the Constitution into a license for judges to make policy instead of being a limit on the power of judges, pervert a document that is supposed to limit power into one that sanctions it.

He writes his own stuff and it is a fun and enjoyable read.

From what I understand, he is a lot more vocal in the meetings of the justices. And he is an inveterate note passer during arguments.

The basic argument of Thomas and Scalia is not that we should parse the constitution like a fundamentalist snake handler in the wilds of TN, but that it is a compact, a contract between the parties. There is a fundamental understudying between the members of the american populace about constitutionality, and for the court to make changes to the compact on its own say so is a violation of the compact. It is like a used car dealer who uses the fine print to finesse out of a guarantee.

Wry, you have allowed yourself to fall into the Progressive morass...the one that denies that any clear thinking and educated person does not have the ability to judge the law, i.e., understand the Constitution.

Proof of my statement? Sure.

There are no constitutional requirements for becoming a Supreme Court Justice.
In fact, while all had been admitted to the bar in one way or another, 41 previous Justices had no judicial experience.

I would argue that Scalia is a great legal mind just based off of bouncing stuff of of my wife (an attorney) and her lawyer friends. Then, furthermore, on reading some of his opinions.

You might not agree with them, but they are well written and articulated and logical and make a compelling case for "constitutionality" as he sees it. He's usually consistent.

The impression I get from Thomas is that he doesn't really bring much to the bench other then a solid vote for the more conservative justices. His opinions are often cursory (relative to the standard expected from a SCOTUS judge) and he doesn't put out as many opinions as other justices.

Then again, I am not a lawyer, so I could be wrong and would love to hear what a legal mind has to say on the matter.

That being said, I can't think of a significant case where Thomas has authored the majority opinion of dissent during his time in the court.

"I was flattered that Wendy E. Long commended my book First Principles: The Jurisprudence of Clarence Thomas in her recent essay on Justice Thomas. I write this letter simply to mention that the conventional wisdom about Thomas is now much more positive than it initially, and unfairly, was. Of the books Ms. Long discusses, only the Merida-Fletcher book paints a negative portrait. This changing perception was brought home to me recently when I was asked to participate on a roundtable on Justice Thomas's jurisprudence at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Association of Law Schools. As one might expect at an event in which the attendees are overwhelmingly liberal, those who participated on the panel and those who asked questions from the audience tended to disagree with Thomas's jurisprudence. Yet, that disagreement was expressed both respectfully and thoughtfully. As my book documents at length, this is a significant change from the commentary during Justice Thomas's confirmation process and his early years on the Supreme Court. Of course, the Merida-Fletcher book indicates that, unfortunately, there is still an audience for ad hominem attacks on Clarence Thomas, but most people who have taken the time to read the opinions he has written in his 17 terms on the Court don't take those attacks seriously anymore.

Scott D. Gerber
Ohio Northern University
College of Law
Ada, OH
The Claremont Institute - Correspondence

In case you missed this in the letter above, ...
"... unfortunately, there is still an audience for ad hominem attacks on Clarence Thomas, but most people who have taken the time to read the opinions he has written in his 17 terms on the Court don't take those attacks seriously anymore."

(pssst...I've seen enough of your posts to know that your opinion is pretty much worthless. And even moreso when you haven't read the attached link. Why don't you give education a chance.)

The nice thing about your posts is that they are just basically copy and paste, so why go to the original link?

"I was flattered that Wendy E. Long commended my book First Principles: The Jurisprudence of Clarence Thomas in her recent essay on Justice Thomas. I write this letter simply to mention that the conventional wisdom about Thomas is now much more positive than it initially, and unfairly, was. Of the books Ms. Long discusses, only the Merida-Fletcher book paints a negative portrait. This changing perception was brought home to me recently when I was asked to participate on a roundtable on Justice Thomas's jurisprudence at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Association of Law Schools. As one might expect at an event in which the attendees are overwhelmingly liberal, those who participated on the panel and those who asked questions from the audience tended to disagree with Thomas's jurisprudence. Yet, that disagreement was expressed both respectfully and thoughtfully. As my book documents at length, this is a significant change from the commentary during Justice Thomas's confirmation process and his early years on the Supreme Court. Of course, the Merida-Fletcher book indicates that, unfortunately, there is still an audience for ad hominem attacks on Clarence Thomas, but most people who have taken the time to read the opinions he has written in his 17 terms on the Court don't take those attacks seriously anymore.

Scott D. Gerber
Ohio Northern University
College of Law
Ada, OH

"... unfortunately, there is still an audience for ad hominem attacks on Clarence Thomas, but most people who have taken the time to read the opinions he has written in his 17 terms on the Court don't take those attacks seriously anymore."

I fully admit to not having the time or inclination to read 17 years worth of opinions of any justice.

I also fully point out that the author is stating his opinion and is a somewhat biased admirer of Justice Thomas.

I would think that if Justice Thomas were the legal heavy weight that Professor Gerber makes him out to be, that he would have been an easy choice for Chief Justice. Though, that might not be altogether fair as Alito is the senior justice and was also passed over.

Perhaps the Bush Administration just wanted their own man.

Last edited:

The nice thing about your posts is that they are just basically copy and paste, so why go to the original link?

"your posts is that they are just basically copy and paste," is the usual complaint of one not gifted with the ability to respond to the post in question.

Scott D. Gerber
Ohio Northern University
College of Law
Ada, OH

I fully admit to not having the time or inclination to read 17 years worth of opinions of any justice.

I also fully point out that the author is stating his opinion and is a somewhat biased admirer of Justice Thomas.

I would think that if Justice Thomas were the legal heavy weight that Professor Gerber makes him out to be, that he would have been an easy choice for Chief Justice. Though, that might not be altogether fair as Alito is the senior justice and was also passed over.

Perhaps the Bush Administration just wanted their own man.

'Perhaps' you should read Jeffrey Toobin's article, and you might not be forced to rely
on bloviation.

1." All at once the enemy plan became clear; what looked like stupidity was revealed as genius, ...
...Jeffrey Toobin’s gripping, must-read profile of Clarence and Virginia Thomas in the New Yorker gives readers new insight ...: Toobin argues that the only Black man in public life that liberals could safely mock and despise may be on the point of bringing the Blue Empire down.

2. In fact, Toobin suggests, Clarence Thomas may be ...able to overthrow the entire edifice of the modern progressive state.In several of the most important areas of constitutional law, Thomas has emerged as an intellectual leader of the Supreme Court. Since the arrival of Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., in 2005, and Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., in 2006, the Court has moved to the right when it comes to the free-speech rights of corporations, the rights of gun owners, and, potentially, the powers of the federal government; in each of these areas, the majority has followed where Thomas has been leading for a decade or more. Rarely has a Supreme Court Justice enjoyed such broad or significant vindication.

3. There are few articles of faith as firmly fixed in the liberal canon as the belief that Clarence Thomas is, to put it as bluntly as many liberals do, a dunce and a worm. ... Not only does the liberal mind perceive him as a disgusting lump of ungoverned sexual impulse; he is seen as an intellectual cipher. Thomas’ silence during oral argument before the Supreme Court is taken as obvious evidence that he has nothing to say and is perhaps a bit intimidated by the verbal fireworks exchanged by the high profile lawyers and his more, ahem, ‘qualified’ colleagues.

4. No, says Toobin: the intellectual influence runs the other way. Thomas is the consistently clear and purposeful theorist that history will remember as an intellectual pioneer; Scalia the less clear-minded colleague who is gradually following in Thomas’ tracks.

5. Until very recently the constitutional vision I was taught in my teens remained, as they say, hegemonic. The enlarged role of the commerce clause was uncontested and the two amendments dangled with the other dead constitutional provisions — letters of marque and reprisal, no bills of attainder, the prohibition on quartering — in constitutional limbo.

6. ...the New Deal constitution was not as permanent or unalterable as it looked. Intellectually its foundations were shaky, and after two decades of a Clarence Thomas-led assault, the constitutional doctrines that permitted the rise of the powerful federal government could be close to collapse.

7. The next topic for Constitutional revisionism is the expansive reading of the commerce clause that the New Deal judges used to justify the Roosevelt administration’s ambitious economic programs. The Obamacare health reform depends on that kind of reading of the commerce clause; the penumbras must stretch pretty far for the Constitution to give Congress the right to require all Americans to buy private health insurance. And if the commerce clause can be stretched this far, one must ask whether there is anything that the Constitution blocks Congress from doing.

8. Without some rule of interpretation that the average person can understand and accept as legitimate, the Court gradually loses legitimacy in the public eye. The originalist interpretation, whatever objections can be made to it intellectually and historically, is politically compelling. It resonates with the American propensity for commonsense reasoning. To say that the Founders meant what they meant and that the first job of a judge is to be faithful to their intent is something that strikes many Americans as sensible, practical and fair.

9. But there is another view of this amendment. The Constitution of the United States confers specific, “enumerated” powers on the Congress, and many of the things that Congress does today are not listed among those enumerated powers.

10. This is pretty much a Tea Party wish list, and it is why the Tea Party movement is so strongly identified with originalist interpretations of the Constitution. Unleashing the Tenth Amendment would move the constitutional status quo back towards the early 1930s when the “Nine Old Men” struck down one New Deal law after another. For Toobin and most New Yorker readers, it is hard to imagine an idea that more radically and totally runs against everything they believe."
Read more: New Blue Nightmare: Clarence Thomas and the Amendment of Doom | Via Meadia

"Black community leaders condemn ‘racist’ attacks on Justice Clarence Thomas

More than 100 black academics and community leaders have signed an open letter condemning “white progressives” for a “barrage of racist, vicious, and ugly personal attacks” on Supreme Justice Clarence Thomas.

The letter, penned by Brown University professor Glenn Loury as well as Robert Woodson Sr., founder of nonprofit The Woodson Center, decried the “abominable” backlash that followed Thomas’ role in ending national abortion rights last month by overturning Roe v. Wade.

“White progressives do not have the moral authority to excommunicate a black man from his race because they disagree with him,” stated the letter posted Wednesday on Real Clear Politics.

“And those — regardless of background — who join in the charade or remain silent are guilty of enabling this abuse,” it read.

“Whether it is calling him a racist slur, an ‘Uncle Tom’ or questioning his ‘blackness’ over his jurisprudence, the disparagement of this man, of his faith and of his character, is abominable,” the letter charged."

Forum List

Back