Justice Stevens to Retire After 34 Years

Would Obama dare to nominate Cass Sunstien? I know he was never a Judge but I doubt that would bother Obama:

It won't be Sunstein, because it would piss of the base (due to Sunstein's conservatism) and it would piss of the right because he's written some papers making weird arguments as thought experiments.

I think Obama will have to go to COMMUNIST CHINA to get a supreme court justice liberal enough to satisfy him.:lol::lol:

You raise a good point...

After the extremists Bush stuck in there, he may need to go to Communist China just to balance the scales.

Yes. Roberts and Alito were such extremists in insisting on clear judicial thinking consistent with precedent and the U.S. constitution you will need to get a radical in there who thinks the constitution was an oppressive document to uphold white men's wealth. Like Obama.

Consistent with precedent? Roberts and Alito are two of the most activist judges to ever sit on the bench.

Seems to be that there is a movement to get young progressives on the court so they can be there for another 30-40 years before they will be forced out by age or infirmity. We've known for centuries senility won't cut it.

And why shouldn't there be a movement in that direction? It's what the right has been doing for years.

The easiest way to explain the modern court:
At the time of his appointment, Stevens was the swing vote.
At the time of his retirement, Stevens is the most liberal member of the court.

That right there shows how far to the right the court has shifted.

There is no "most Liberal" there are 4 morons tied for "Most Liberal"

Let The Up or Down Hypocrisy Begin. How many leaders will stick by their own words?

Post their words here.

Didn't Obama vote against Roberts and Alito? Let's see how often the "The president can name anyone he wants" canard comes out this time.

Difference between voting against the confirmation and filibustering it.

Has anyone filibustered a nomination? I must have missed that one.

and here I was going to attribute it to his senility.

They all do that. I would bet there is no case of a justice becoming more conservative once he's sat on the bench for a while. They all become more liberal or stay the same, in part because they are not immune to public opinion and editorial writers.

I would add an Amendment to the Constitution that a law can only be declared "Unconstitutional" upon a ruling by SCOTUS and then upon ratification by 75% of the states

I would add an Amendment to the Constitution that a law can only be declared "Unconstitutional" upon a ruling by SCOTUS and then upon ratification by 75% of the states

Why would you want to do that???

Because it's the peoples country and the whole idea that 5 Librul judges can toss the Constitution on its head is against our founding principles.

If a state passes a law, it will stay that states law unless 3/4 of the other states think it sucks

Didn't Obama vote against Roberts and Alito? Let's see how often the "The president can name anyone he wants" canard comes out this time.

The Republicans have threatened to filibuster this nomination and have filibustered a Supreme Court nomination in the past.

They all do that. I would bet there is no case of a justice becoming more conservative once he's sat on the bench for a while. They all become more liberal or stay the same, in part because they are not immune to public opinion and editorial writers.

Stevens didn't become more liberal. The more recent nominees have shifted the court significantly to the right.

The Republicans have threatened to filibuster this nomination and have filibustered a Supreme Court nomination in the past.

Oh, threatened to filibuster. Wow.
I guess the Dems never blocked a judicial nominee through threats of filibuster and actual filibustering?
Whoops, guess not.

Stevens didn't become more liberal. The more recent nominees have shifted the court significantly to the right.
The texas sodomy case proves the point this isn't true.

I guess the Dems never blocked a judicial nominee through threats of filibuster and actual filibustering?
Whoops, guess not.

They did, but so did the Republicans while Clinton was in office.

For every Lawrence v Texas, there are a dozen Citizens United.

Whoops, guess not.

They did, but so did the Republicans while Clinton was in office.

Mom he did it first is a fail right off the bat.

For every Lawrence v Texas, there are a dozen Citizens United.
What? Giving corporations the same rights as unions and political action committees and individuals to use their money as free speech?

Don't take the high road, the strong backlighting makes you a wonderful target.

Forum List

Back