Justice Stevens to Retire After 34 Years

I think Obama will have to go to COMMUNIST CHINA to get a supreme court justice liberal enough to satisfy him.:lol::lol:

You raise a good point...

After the extremists Bush stuck in there, he may need to go to Communist China just to balance the scales.

Yes. Roberts and Alito were such extremists in insisting on clear judicial thinking consistent with precedent and the U.S. constitution you will need to get a radical in there who thinks the constitution was an oppressive document to uphold white men's wealth. Like Obama.

I think even Barry realizes he has to submit a moderate at this point. Two reasons:

Control of Congress is not guaranteed any more.

And most importantly, the hard decisions will include reform/cut backs in government in order to reduce spending and he will need SJC support to get it through. If the working class government workers thought they could count on Obama forever, they are going to get sold out soon like the people have been. Welcome to the future, the little guy is under attack.

My prediction.

all of that means obama should tell all y'all to stick it.

so why would he need a repub lite?

I think even Barry realizes he has to submit a moderate at this point. Two reasons:

Control of Congress is not guaranteed any more.

And most importantly, the hard decisions will include reform/cut backs in government in order to reduce spending and he will need SJC support to get it through. If the working class government workers thought they could count on Obama forever, they are going to get sold out soon like the people have been. Welcome to the future, the little guy is under attack.

My prediction.

all of that means obama should tell all y'all to stick it.

so why would he need a repub lite?

You're right.
He needs to nominate Sunstein or maybe Angela Davis.

This may be a blessing in disguise. A very very GOOD disguise.

Now we get to delay all sorts of other BS that they want to pass to take away the rights of Americans and give them to citizens of the world in which to pillage our nation.

They also have to get it done before they lose the 60 vote majority. Fillibuster baby. Fillibuster like crazy.

In other words, "Halt the working of the United States government and exploit a vacancy on the US Supreme Court for political capital gain."

Sounds like the same strategy the GOP has been employing for the past two years. How did that work with healthcare, the stimulus package and the jobs bill again?

A few things things:

1. Stevens is not ill and still couldn't wait until November!

2. Ruthie won't wait until November either

3. The only way to get someone further to the Left would be to take a sperm from Mao and impregnate the corpse of Stalin

First, let's thank Justice Stevens for his contributions an service to the United States of America. May we all be so lucky to be in such good health that we're forced to retire at 90.

Second, I hope Obama nominates some far left wing judge that makes Nancy Pelosi look like Rush Limbaugh just to get the right wingers in a panicked frenzy.

This may be a blessing in disguise. A very very GOOD disguise.

Now we get to delay all sorts of other BS that they want to pass to take away the rights of Americans and give them to citizens of the world in which to pillage our nation.

They also have to get it done before they lose the 60 vote majority. Fillibuster baby. Fillibuster like crazy.

In other words, "Halt the working of the United States government and exploit a vacancy on the US Supreme Court for political capital gain."

Sounds like the same strategy the GOP has been employing for the past two years. How did that work with healthcare, the stimulus package and the jobs bill again?
yep

Let the games begin.

I think Deval Patrick will be the next nominee, based on his outstanding left wing service under Clinton and his deft mishandling of health care in MA.
But I could be wrong here.

the health care plan was romney's, einstein.

do try to keep up.

it was all romney's idea, or did he just sign the bill?

Hey Dopey!!!!!

GOOD GOVERNMENT
Health Care for Everyone?
We've found a way.

by MITT ROMNEY
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:01 A.M. EDT

BOSTON--Only weeks after I was elected governor, Tom Stemberg, the founder and former CEO of Staples, stopped by my office. He told me, "If you really want to help people, find a way to get everyone health insurance." I replied that would mean raising taxes and a Clinton-style government takeover of health care. He insisted: "You can find a way."

I believe that we have. Every uninsured citizen in Massachusetts will soon have affordable health insurance and the costs of health care will be reduced. And we will need no new taxes, no employer mandate and no government takeover to make this happen.

Featured Article - WSJ.com

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're hoping for a filibuster you're kidding yourself. Nine GOP senators voted in favor of confirming Justice Sotomayor. There just aren't enough senators interested in a filibuster fight over court nominees. It ain't gonna happen. Obama will get exactly who he wants.

If you're hoping for a filibuster you're kidding yourself. Nine GOP senators voted in favor of confirming Justice Sotomayor. There just aren't enough senators interested in a filibuster fight over court nominees. It ain't gonna happen. Obama will get exactly who he wants.

Unless that person is completely unqualified or has a history of ethical problems, I personally believe any President should get who they want for their appointments. I like to see a good mix and even a few on the fringes on the SCOTUS bench, it keeps things lively. ;)

I would like to see a strong centrist though. There are too many on the fringes on both sides at the moment, but I know Obama can't afford to let his base think he's disrupting the balance.

the health care plan was romney's, einstein.

do try to keep up.

Hey Dopey!!!!!

GOOD GOVERNMENT
We've found a way.

by MITT ROMNEY

BOSTON--Only weeks after I was elected governor, Tom Stemberg, the founder and former CEO of Staples, stopped by my office. He told me, "If you really want to help people, find a way to get everyone health insurance." I replied that would mean raising taxes and a Clinton-style government takeover of health care. He insisted: "You can find a way."

I believe that we have. Every uninsured citizen in Massachusetts will soon have affordable health insurance and the costs of health care will be reduced. And we will need no new taxes, no employer mandate and no government takeover to make this happen.

thanks, i honestly didn't know....hence the question...asshole

Hey Dopey!!!!!

GOOD GOVERNMENT
We've found a way.

by MITT ROMNEY

thanks, i honestly didn't know....hence the question...asshole

no problem

Seems to be that there is a movement to get young progressives on the court so they can be there for another 30-40 years before they will be forced out by age or infirmity. We've known for centuries senility won't cut it.

High court: Justice Stevens to retire - CNN.com

And so President Obama gets to name another Supreme Court justice.

Gee! I wonder if anyone has an opinion about this?

I'm sure Barry will chose a liberal judge.

Stephens is a liberal so should be any big changes in the SC.

The nuttiest of wingnutty opinion I've heard on this so far was that President Obama is supposed to pick a conservative judge because Stevens was nominated by a Republican president...

...and it was said in all seriousness. Claimed it was tradition for justices to retire under the same party's president as was the party of the president who nominated them, and that Stevens was trampling all over that tradition by not doing so.

seriously...

Seems to be that there is a movement to get young progressives on the court so they can be there for another 30-40 years before they will be forced out by age or infirmity. We've known for centuries senility won't cut it.

As opposed to Bush trying to get young Conservatives on the court so they can be there for another 30-40 years? Get over yourself.

As opposed to Bush trying to get young Conservatives on the court so they can be there for another 30-40 years? Get over yourself.
never said it wasn't a valid strategy. I'd rather have young justices, well at least not senile or decrepit.

Forum List

Back